PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrow idea/prototype

wjbell
08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Let me start by saying I'm not one to normally add mods my car. You could probably consider me a purist to some degree. For me, a mod has to me simple, subtle and/or clean and appear stock or close to it. IOW, you won't find any 19" wheels lambo mirrors on my car. ;)

But I've always liked the way the e38's front lights look. The way the hood cuts over part of the headlights looks mean. So after a few ideas I came up with this for the e34. They're flat aluminum strips that cover the high beam only and painted satin black to match the grill. I wanted something subtle that didn't look hacked but still had the effect. I tried the strip going over both lights but it didn't look right.

Give your honest opinion, what do you guys think?

http://www.belletc.net/misc/eyebrow1.jpg

http://www.belletc.net/misc/eyebrow2.jpg

http://www.belletc.net/misc/eyebrow3.jpg

VentoGT
08-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Not my cup o' tea

genphreak
08-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Hmmm.

It's clean (for a usually dirty mod)

I have to say so much so I was flat-out telling the difference.

Nicely exectued though. Modifying these cars is all about quality not quantity. I think it needs to cover both lights or be body colour (but unlike normal eyebrows it would need to look like part of the bonnet itself. AFAIC stick ons just look like stick-ons. The black avoids that though. :) Nick

granit_silber
08-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Very subtle! I kept scrolling down for the "after" pic. You did a great job with the mod, but I LOVE the twin rounds of the e34. Nice job!
-ashley

MTechnik540i
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Very subtle! I kept scrolling down for the "after" pic. You did a great job with the mod, but I LOVE the twin rounds of the e34. Nice job!
-ashley

Almost too subtle. I've never be an advocate of eyelids.

Yiorgos
08-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Very subtle, I had to look closely to see what you had done.

Can I ask how did you attach these onto your grille?

wjbell
08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Very subtle, I had to look closely to see what you had done.

Can I ask how did you attach these onto your grille?

It's actually a piece of L shaped aluminum angle iron (angle aluminum?.)

It's wider on one edge than the other. The top edge is about 1/2" and the face that comes down over the lights is about 3/4". I bent it to follow the curve of the hood/grill.

The top edge of the grill provides a nice, flat mounting point. The top edge of the angle iron sits right on top of the grill and then the 90 degree angle comes down over the lights. I used some good double sided tape to secure it in place. Maybe not the best for a permanent solution but if I get tired of them then there's no holes drilled and no regrets. Even if you did drill in the top of the grill and didn't like it a couple small holes would never show. But the double sided tape holds pretty strong.

hatched91
08-15-2006, 12:41 AM
i've never really liked eyebrows but it's cool how you custom modded your car instead of just buying already produced parts.

SnakeyesTx
08-15-2006, 01:19 AM
I'd have to agree with the "too subtle, almost unnoticable" opinion hinted by others. Had to strain to really see it, but on a positive note, it would work great to cover that miniscule gap that those home-made angel eyes I posted about a few weeks back would make. (there's a tiny gap at the top center of each light that the led feeds through and have to tape the gap closed so usually you see a little spot that doesn't get lit, but your mod definitely alleviates that problem giving the angel eye an E39's appearance)

Michael999
08-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Take a photo with the high beams on at night time, and also a shot with the car facing the street, the yellow reflection in the high beams makes it hard to distinguish.
Then ill decide if i like it :)

Paul in NZ
08-15-2006, 03:49 AM
i hate eybrows of any description,your mod is sooo subtle I dont think anuone would actually notice

BigKriss
08-15-2006, 03:52 AM
Looks stupid, Qube's eyebrows are a lot better.

Gayle
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Ditto on the subtle and well executed. Never been an eyebrow fan though. I love angel eyes, but for me it is about the circle of light, not the top cut off.

wjbell
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
your mod is sooo subtle I dont think anuone would actually notice

Exactly what I was going for. :)

I don't want people to look at the front of the car and see eyebrows, just see (what I think) is a more agressive look.

Thanks for all the replies this far. I'll take some night pictures with the lights on (low and high) and post them up.

brosher
08-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I don't think it really looks anything like an e38.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/2001_BMW_740_iL_and_1998_BMW_7_Series.jpg/800px-2001_BMW_740_iL_and_1998_BMW_7_Series.jpg

Why try and make a 5er look like something else? The 4 round head lights is a classic look. If you want it to look "meaner" get these...

http://truckstuff4u.com/graphics/backoff.jpg

If you like em keep em!

Incantation
08-15-2006, 01:21 PM
thumbs down