PDA

View Full Version : Tail lights confusion and BIG oil leak on a 535!

guitarist
08-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi! My first time here, ok so am no mechanic. Both my tail lights have gone, have changed bulbs, fuses, still nuttin. Any ideas? Also, I seem to be leaking masses of oil from the front right (ish) side of the car. As soon as I stop, it drops...like a steady slow tap leak, oops. No funny exhaust fumes or weird coloured oil, just lots of it on the floor! Thanks and if u have n e help on how to use this forum that would be cool too. :)

joshua43214
08-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Check the trunk lid wireing harness, lots of posts on it if you use the search. New harness runs about $160.00 or you can spend some quality time with a spool of wire and a crimping tool.

As for the oil leak, clean the engine up, run it, look for oil.

guitarist
08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks! As it happens for some reason the lights have both started to work...weird! I now have found that the sump gasket has gone hence the oil or so I have been told! Cheers!

Jeff N.
08-14-2006, 06:10 PM
They are likely loose and or even some missing. Tighten these up and replace the missing bolts as starting point. This is a short term helper only as I suspect you'll also discover if you inspect closely that the factory gasket is shot.

Another well known oil leak on the M30 is thru the lower front cover.

Thanks! As it happens for some reason the lights have both started to work...weird! I now have found that the sump gasket has gone hence the oil or so I have been told! Cheers!