PDA

View Full Version : 1994 530i Steam Cleaning Engine & Waxing & whereabouts of BMW Club?

Green Bimmer
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Joe Here from Orlando

Since I just changed the water pump I noticed my engine really needs to be steam cleaned good. Any recommendations? Also I need a good wax or waxing compound, because my car have some fading of the paint on top, Any Suggestions would be highly appreciated?

One last thing, do anyone know of a BMW club here in Orlando?

Alexlind123
08-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Zaino is a very good wax from what i have heard. You will probably want to clay bar as well. www.detailersclub.com is a very good resource for detailing stuff.

You probably do not want to steam clean your engine, you can mess up the electricals. If you must, cover all electric stuff in plastic and spray a degreaser on your hot engine. Wait a few minutes for it to soak in and then spray it off with a stream of water. Personally, i just use a rag, some simple green, and a lot of time.

Jehu
08-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I just finished reading an article explaining why you DON'T want to steam clean your engine
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/cleaning/cleaning.htm

BlueM60
08-13-2006, 12:33 AM
I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. No matter what type of metal. A cold engine with a good degreaser and mild pressure will do the trick.

-Ben

Jehu
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. No matter what type of metal. A cold engine with a good degreaser and mild pressure will do the trick.

-Ben

the gunk you want to wash off will be more easily removed when heated up.The metal won't crack from the temeraptures in play, you're not using liquid nitrogen are you?

saconnect
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. -Ben

Cracking and warping...is this true? Are you pulling my leg? I sure hope that the engine never gets so hot that it will crack with cold water being thrown on it... What happens if it rains and you drive through a puddle, or even in slushy snow? Since you're constantly cooling it off, that the temperature differential shouldn't cause any cracking or warping issues...I don't think ;) ...at least I hope not.

BillionPa
08-13-2006, 01:56 AM
the blocks are aluminum, not iron....

Paul in NZ
08-13-2006, 02:09 AM
i wouldnt do it with the engine at "normal operating temprature" i would wait until it was warm or hot to the touch.I wouldnt steam clean or use a hih pressure cleaner though...degreaser and lots of elbow grease for me.

Russell
08-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Do not steam clean! moisture will creep into most electical connections and may damage it. Search the archives for tecniques.

Waxing/sealing the finish is only a portion of detailing. It is done last after you clean, polish and prep the paint. General rule, use the least agressive polishes that do the job. Again search. Also look at Roadfly's detailing forum, Autopia or similar forums for more than you want to know about the world of detailing.

Russell
08-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Try Duragloss 105 sealant. Low cost OTC at Napa or Carquest. Seems to work very well with high gloss and reflectivity. Seems durable. Beads water even covered in dirt. As usual, will need to prep paint before application.

joshua43214
08-13-2006, 11:26 AM

-Ben

This is a myth.

Just imagine what happens when you start the car in sub freezing weather, jump on the freeway and the T-stat opens. The engine is suddenly flooded with super frigid water from the radiator. No cracks.

Your engine is designed to handle this stress.

I have seen old cast iron exhaust manifolds on inline 6 cylinder cars crack this way when they don't have good methods of allowing for expansion, but BMW manifolds are well designed.

BlueM60
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
No, it is not a myth. This is simple physics, if you take ice cold water from a hose and completely soak an engine that is at about 200 degrees, your causing that metal to suddenly contract, it may not always crack but its never a good idea. A Cast iron is not the only metal that will deform under such conditions. The engine should hardly ever get wet in the event of a water puddle etc, its basically sealed off. I would never saak an engine at full operating temp, warm is ok, and i agree, dont steam clean because of all the aging connectors under the hood, a quality degreaser with a mild pressure will do wonders.