PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Chnaging V belt in M60 (95 530i)

Alpinewhite
08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi All,

I got in to real trouble.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1238&hg=11&fg=18

I loosened 10 and 9 in the picture and I was able to slip the old one out and put the new one. Now the problem is there is no tension in the belt.

I tried to use 15 to push the adjust lever towards the fan clutch. But to my dismay 15 only gets loose. Now I got no idea how to complete this job :(.

Thanks for all the help
Arun

Bill R.
08-12-2006, 08:23 PM
in this pic

Alpinewhite
08-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks Bill. I am not sure how I will be able to do these steps in that cramped space. SHould I remove the fan?

Thanks
Arun

Bill R.
08-12-2006, 08:35 PM
the shroud, only takes a minute and then i use a offset boxend wrench to move the bracket with, then while holding the one wrench i use another to lock down the nuts that hold it in place.

Thanks Bill. I am not sure how I will be able to do these

steps in that cramped space. SHould I remove the fan?

Thanks
Arun

Alpinewhite
08-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Bill. I think I did the job successfully. Still I have this nagging doubt. I am not sure whether the belt is tight enough.

At the longest length (I think between water pump and Power steering) I am able to depress the belt about half an inch. Is this OK? Am I good to go?

Thanks
Arun

Bill R.
08-13-2006, 09:15 AM
all the way over in the slot then you should be fine unless the gas shock tensioner is worn out. But i would think that 1/2 is fine. You'll know if you hear the belt squealing that its too loose.

Thanks Bill. I think I did the job successfully. Still I have this nagging doubt. I am not sure whether the belt is tight enough.

At the longest length (I think between water pump and Power steering) I am able to depress the belt about half an inch. Is this OK? Am I good to go?

Thanks
Arun

Alpinewhite
08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks Bill. I pushed as hard as I could. So I think I am good. Thanks for helping me out of this.

- Arun

tim
08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
It doesn't need to be piano wire tight. It needs some play- but not so much that you can easily take it off without loosening the tensioner. The crank pulley puts the tension on it. Too tight will lead to a blown water pump bearing.

As Bill points out, the shock absorber thingee can wear out. You'll hear it jumping around if that's the case, or perhaps, hear the power steering pump squeal when going lock to lock if it is.