PDA

View Full Version : Help needed = my car is getting killed

Robke
08-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi everybody

I know this is the E34 forum but since my cat has the M60 engine i also put the question with you guys.

My E32 740i is getting killed by the garage where i went to for changing the lamdasondes.
For a while now she is using more gasoline than usual and i started smelling gasoline when she was running idle.
Since she has done a respectable 260.000Km i was thinking that it was time to take it to a company with a computer to read the codes and see what was wrong.
They told me it were the lamdasondes wich failed so i asked them to replace them.
When i picked the car up i got a bill of about 600,- euro because they also put in new sparkplugs, cleaned the injectors and put in a new air-intake hose because it was disintregrated.
What has to be done needs to be done so i paid and went home, at least i tryed because after 5 minutes driving the car began to slow down and i lost all power so i stopped and on idle the engine shaked almost out of the car and it seemed like it was running on 3 or 4 cilinders, i also noticed that blue smoke was comming out of the exhaust and when i stepped on the gaspedal the revs went slowly up or it just stuck on 1500 - 2000 revs.
The car is using a bit of oil, about 1 litre every 3000Km, but since i live in the mountains and downhill driving is always in second or thirth gear it does'nt seem like a lot to me.
Ofcourse i went back to the garage and they told me they knew the car started running bad after a couple of minutes but the cause was my "bad" engine because it burned oil on 2 cilinders and it wasn't their problem.
I checked a couple of things my self and saw that the lamdasondes were not the same and when i told that to the garage they said that was how it should be.
If the car would have these problems before i brought it to the garage maybe i could understand it but since it was running fine and had a lot of power before i doubt the story of the garage is true.
I think that the lamdasondes should be identical and all the problems are related to the lamdasondes.
Am i wrong or am i right , can anybody help me or give me advice about this.
Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Paul in NZ
08-11-2006, 09:33 PM
now you have you r vacumn back it is exposing your PCV valve???

winfred
08-11-2006, 10:02 PM
it's kinda hard to say what happened without getting my hands on it, yes the two 02 sensors/lamda sensors should be the same on both sides, if i could plug my scanner in to it i could probably tell you what's up in a couple minutes or atleast have a good idea. the common problems for the m60 are the cyclonic crankcase vent plate on the back of the intake manifold (may be where your oil is going) and could be all or part of the problem, catyletic converters can plug up internally, one case i've seen, we had a 740 a couple years ago with one plugged cat and a blown plate that wouldn't go over 20 mph, the computer would retard it's own settings so bad it would barely run, the long term part throttle fuel trims would go 50% lean on one bank of the motor and 50% rich on the other in a matter of a few minutes of resetting the computer (which you can do by unplugging it or dissconnecting the battery) the mass air sensor can make it do some weird things too, i've seen them do some weird things after somebody gets the plugs mixed up around the throttle body (tps icv and traction control position sensor will all plug into one another and are a couple inches apart)

good luck

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Winfred does house calls for cheap!

winfred
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
id guess that's in another country, t'would be cheeper to buy another car :D

Winfred does house calls for cheap!

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Rob, can you reduce your thread to facts and what was done and what happened only? would help some of us old drunks figure you out of the driveway.

Robke
08-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, ill go from there