PDA

View Full Version : Turned off by some of the newbies...

Brandon J
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello everyone,

If you don't know me do a search.

There are A LOT of newbies. I want to welcome you to this forum. It is a great forum with a lot of true technical and first hand experience. I am however a little turned off by people asking questions without doing any work or homework themselves.

I see people asking questions where they could put in some work and by deduction find results and answers. The veterans of the board have been doing this for years. If you ask about a DME #, perhaps go and visit chip tuners like D'Sylva and see what is posted on his site or even ask the man himself. If you have a tire question, you can find similar results and a lot of pertinant advice from the tire rack forums. If you want to know which blue lights look better in your turn signals, you are in the wrong forum.

I posted trying to help about an M5 gauge cluster swap into a non M5 e34. I recieved a reply saying that my information was probably wrong and they feel that it will work and by easy enough. Umm, so if I give my first hand experience to you you will say I don't know what I am talking about? Hmm, look below my name on my posts and you will see that there is an M5 engine and tranny in my e34 525i so I had a donor M5 already. Also, someone asked about swapping in an M5 motor. They said they search and did not find anything. Well, search harder. I found it using alternate words than what he used, just like in google. It worked extremely well and I found it in my 1st try. Just an FYI, I also did a lot of mods to my M50tu and know how things will work, not what I heard.

Stop the hear say. If you want to know and can do it yourself then do it. I have spent a lot of my own time doing research and helping people who are also commited. I am not going to hand over all my time to teach and simply spoon feed those that don't want to learn by experience. Please put in the time. You will get rewarded.

I want to help those who are dedicated. How will I know, well sometimes you simply have to prove yourself. Sorry, I really don't have all the time in the world to help those who won't do their own homework. I want to spread the knowledge of the BMW e34, the secrets, my experience, others' experience, understanding how the design engineers think, etc. I don't want to post something that is easily found out there or somthing I already posted.

Some advice if you are a newbie-newbie.
1) Go buy the etk on disc, you can find it on ebay or somewhere out there.
2) Go purchase a Bentley manual for the e34.
3) Go buy good tools. Sears will have a good sale with the upcoming labor day and go buy a good set. Nothing small, something like 130+ pieces.
4) Limit the benchtop racing. Go find real world results.
5) Don't use this space to link to another forum.
6) If you have a big project, please make a webpage/website for it. Posting it here can make it difficult to sort, see, and understand. We can still comment as you will be posting a thread with the link.
7) Be very open to feedback.
8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total. Now that is a good team.
9) We do prioritize function of appearance. So, more talk and help is in the running of the car rather than useless strobe lights. That doesn't mean we don't like our cars to look good. Most of us just prefer to keep it to the BMW sporting tradition. There are a lot of other places that do foster the baby blue paint.
10) Contribute useful information as well as receiving it. Pay it forward.

Thanks for the bandwith.

winfred
08-11-2006, 05:22 PM
hehe my record for pressing new thrust arm bushings into the old arms off the car is around 35 minutes for both sides including putting the car on the lift :D

8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total

Bill R.
08-11-2006, 05:25 PM
search for things...(whining tone) I want someone to tell me the right answer or link me right to it.... And I don't want to have to buy a bentley's can't someone show me a freeeee downloadable pdf file of it instead, oh and i also want clickable indexes on the pdf too.. Thats all i want.

Hello everyone,

There are A LOT of newbies. I want to welcome you to this forum. It is a great forum with a lot of true technical and first hand experience. I am however a little turned off by people asking questions without doing any work or homework themselves.

I see people asking questions where they could put in some work and by deduction find results and answers. The veterans of the board have been doing this for years. If you ask about a DME #, perhaps go and visit chip tuners like D'Sylva and see what is posted on his site or even ask the man himself. If you have a tire question, you can find similar results and a lot of pertinant advice from the tire rack forums. If you want to know which blue lights look better in your turn signals, you are in the wrong forum.

I posted trying to help about an M5 gauge cluster swap into a non M5 e34. I recieved a reply saying that my information was probably wrong and they feel that it will work and by easy enough. Umm, so if I give my first hand experience to you you will say I don't know what I am talking about? Hmm, look below my name on my posts and you will see that there is an M5 engine and tranny in my e34 525i so I had a donor M5 already. Also, someone asked about swapping in an M5 motor. They said they search and did not find anything. Well, search harder. I found it using alternate words than what he used, just like in google. It worked extremely well and I found it in my 1st try. Just an FYI, I also did a lot of mods to my M50tu and know how things will work, not what I heard.

Stop the hear say. If you want to know and can do it yourself then do it. I have spent a lot of my own time doing research and helping people who are also commited. I am not going to hand over all my time to teach and simply spoon feed those that don't want to learn by experience. Please put in the time. You will get rewarded.

I want to help those who are dedicated. How will I know, well sometimes you simply have to prove yourself. Sorry, I really don't have all the time in the world to help those who won't do their own homework. I want to spread the knowledge of the BMW e34, the secrets, my experience, others' experience, understanding how the design engineers think, etc. I don't want to post something that is easily found out there or somthing I already posted.

3) Go buy good tools. Sears will have a good sale with the upcoming labor day and go buy a good set. Nothing small, something like 130+ pieces.
6) If you have a big project, please make a webpage/website for it. Posting it here can make it difficult to sort, see, and understand. We can still comment as you will be posting a thread with the link.
8) Understand that we want to maintain a certain maturity as well as keeping this forum useful. We don't want to turn away the e34 veterans that do have a lot of experience and knowledge. hehe, one example, Scott, Kris (DV M5) and I can do a self leveling elimination, change all 4 springs shocks, thrust arms, and minor stuff in under 4 hours total. Now that is a good team.
9) We do prioritize function of appearance. So, more talk and help is in the running of the car rather than useless strobe lights. That doesn't mean we don't like our cars to look good. Most of us just prefer to keep it to the BMW sporting tradition. There are a lot of other places that do foster the baby blue paint.

Thanks for the bandwith.

barry 90 525i
08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
]i went thru this on the e24 board, yea were newbies to e34's, and i know its such a bother to help people, so just dont, im sure there is someone else who will, so u can change out parts quick, well i can do the same on a e24, yet i would never stop to help someone, no matter how simple or how many times its asked, why is this so much a problem for people to help others who are trying to fix there cars? im a aircraft mechanic, and im sure i can do many things u cant, but that dosnt make me not help others, these boards are here to help people, so if its to much for u, than dont!

Paul in NZ
08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Its not that Brandon doesnt want to help.
He offers advice esp re M5 equipment and is ignored or told he is wrong,even tho he has done it!
Read his post again!

Michael999
08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Ill do my best :)

Jeff N.
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the bandwith.

saconnect
08-11-2006, 06:11 PM
If one can comply with 9 out of the 10 items you list, can they still participate?;)

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
And you thought this forum was free.

It'll suck the soul out of you if you let the crowd get to you with redundant problems, unheeded advice, panic threads "Help My car just...", PMs, pissing matches, OT stuff and over the top mods.

It's a community of some professionals, experts, experianced amatures, those who give advice, those who take advice, those who learn from others, and those who well,.. just need to make their own mistakes so we can all laugh and learn at their expenese.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 06:15 PM
what is a thrust arm...

Yiorgos
08-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I think many of the "rules" stated in the first post is more out of common courtesy, and apply to most forums out there in wonderful Internet land, not just this one. I also see a contradiction or two.

The point of doing a search first before asking a question is common courtesy, and prevents the same questions being asked over and over again. Unfortunately with a forum of this size or larger, you will always get a handful or more newbies asking these questions without doing a search.

Things can be done to prevent or minimise this occurring. Have everyone who sees that thread to post someting along the lines of "HEY NOOB, DO A FREAKING SEARCH YOU NUMBNUTS", deleting the thread (admin intervention) or ban the new user, which is probably not something so desired.

I think it has to be said that either way, this forum, like all the others on the internet, are dealing with people behind a screen, new and old, from all corners of the globe. You're gonna get the odd person not following the rules, either via pure ignorance, or just genuinely don't know them.

One good way of combatting this is doing the search yourself, then post every URL to that topic. There is an Australian broadband forum that I frequent where I do the same, I also post the time it took me to find the URLs (usually under 10 seconds), and tell them that if I can find all that in under 10 seconds, and you know how to use a mouse and keyboard, I am sure you are more than capable of doing the same. It's very effective if there are more than say a dozen links or so. No insults are required, and you've made the newbie look like a fool for not knowing how to tie his own proverbial shoelaces. You've helped him out (thereby fulfilling moral obligations), but embarrassed him at the same time by displaying to the world how much of a dummkopf he can be ;)

It wasn't long ago when I first joined up, and although I'm not the quintessential newbie that doesn't have a clue other than turn the ignition key, I'm very very far from the stage of being able to change my thrust arms and spring shocks in under 4 hours. If someone has told you that the way you're doing it is wrong, then prove them wrong. Detail each step and explain why your way is doing right. You're basically complaining about someone having an opinion. Humans disagree all the time.

Even though statistically I would be what others would call a "newbie" in here, I am committed to my car, just like anyone else -- I have already spent more than 1K on my car, and have about another 3.6K left to go until it's to the condition that I want it at. I've bought the Bentley manual (at full price -- AU$149), I've got the quality tool kit (using Dad's :D), but I haven't done an M5 conversion on my 525i!

My point is, there are newbies, and then there are newbies who want to learn. We don't have that much knowledge as many of you in here, we are willing to learn, and if there was something that we knew about E34s that you guys didn't know about, you'd all be the first to know.

Either way, these two groups of newbies are inevitable to come across in forums of this size and larger. I find that the newbies that just ask a question without searching usually disappear as quick as they appeared, so personally I don't see it as anything to get upset over.

It just irks me that there are some in here that have somewhat of an "elitist" BMW attitude and feel that they don't have the need to answer someone's questions, whether searched or not, simply because it is too trivial of an answer to provide.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-11-2006, 06:18 PM
up to the elbow, wristwatch and all..

craigmo
08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
]i went thru this on the e24 board, yea were newbies to e34's, and i know its such a bother to help people, so just dont, im sure there is someone else who will, so u can change out parts quick, well i can do the same on a e24, yet i would never stop to help someone, no matter how simple or how many times its asked, why is this so much a problem for people to help others who are trying to fix there cars? im a aircraft mechanic, and im sure i can do many things u cant, but that dosnt make me not help others, these boards are here to help people, so if its to much for u, than dont!

+1

ScottyWM
08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
If we kept the old forum format, the newbies would run away...

Zeuk in Oz
08-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Well said, Brandon.

However, as I have said before, this forum is a product of its own success. If it wasn't such a great place for info, no novices would stop by or join.

We cannot regulate every new thread post, but we have to hope that from time to time posts like Brandon's appear and help restore balance.

Personally, as a very incompetent and amateur mechanic, I will be forever thankful to this forum for all the help it has given me - both directly and indirectly.

Without you guys my head gasket replacement would not have been possible.

All you novices, please search first, make sure that the post contains all details about your car(s) and please have some consideration and manners.

Cheers,

Bo

Evan
08-11-2006, 06:54 PM
this should turn you back ON http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/planettamar/IMG_4146copy.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-11-2006, 06:57 PM
yum

brosher
08-11-2006, 07:40 PM
this should turn you back ON http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/planettamar/IMG_4146copy.jpg

Hey you stinkin NOOB! It's common courtesy to post NWS with stuff like that so some poor guy doesn't loose his job. ;)

Evan
08-11-2006, 07:44 PM
i will pwn u d00d

jnmip
08-11-2006, 08:23 PM
up to the elbow, wristwatch and all..
I'm still busting up :D

jnmip
08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Nice lines, probably a lot under the hood......bet she's great in the curves.

VRRRROOOOMMMMM;)

Gayle
08-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Brandon

Please don't let the trivial turn this thread took get you down. A lot of us are with you.

The noise compoment of the signal-to-noise ratio is up pretty significantly on the forum. I am learning to just ignore it. I remain grateful that the people I respect still post here and that there is still enough friendship here that it remains fun to read.

And you know, it makes me happy to know that your amazing e34 with its M5 engine, perfect paint, and sachs kit is out there contributing to the general uplifting of the planet.

Evan
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
just ignore the people who irk you, brandon... the forum is public and free and has its pros and cons --- it's fine just the way it is

Paul in NZ
08-11-2006, 09:23 PM
And you know, it makes me happy to know that your amazing e34 with its M5 engine, perfect paint, and sachs kit is out there contributing to the general uplifting of the planet.

ditto

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 09:27 PM
what noise?

I try to lead some to a search or search link I post back. fukem we were all nubes and most new ones think that this place is as lame as roadflea or that other site (escapes my mind) where all you get is stupid ass replies.

I might have initially posted without searching first if I was retarted or something. I like to mis spell everything anyways.

I think we sepearte ourselves and nubes with asshats like me, scott win etc, we dont need no damn forum police but we do need to post the occasional wake up call Brandon did even tho the same nubes wont read this we will all feel better once this has been said and posted.

Irememberthatpostfromthedudewithnospacebarandheeve ntuallygotthatfixedorleftidonnobutifeelwerebetters incethatwascorrected

RobPatt
08-11-2006, 09:48 PM
lots of curves and nice and tight too....

:D

RobPatt
08-11-2006, 09:51 PM
i hope to even come close to the engine/tranny mods you did to the M50...let alone gracing the 525 w/an M5 mill... :D

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the bandwith.

Jehu
08-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Honestly i do not see how "newbies 'asking questions which may have been covered before even extensively is in any way a problem.If you see a querry you've seen before and say to yourself ;" uuuhhh just look it up moron!" that's fine pass it by who cares? Is there an issue with the board's software or the host accounts bandwidth? That's another story.Maybe people are under the impression posting something , anything is of no consequence whatsoever. If space here is precious and costly that's a good enough reason to say something . If you are just too bored and cranky and haven't had a happy ending in a month or more,why take it out on the unsuspecting.If people see a question and somehow feel its very presence somehow reaches thru cyberspace , grabs their cerebral cortex and forces them to waste valuable time answering an already covered topic, You could have a career in Sci-FI.

JoeS
08-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Damn it Brandon, I like your color blues lights in your turn signals the best!!!

billb
08-11-2006, 10:31 PM
The noise compoment of the signal-to-noise ratio is up pretty significantly on the forum. I am learning to just ignore it. I remain grateful that the people I respect still post here and that there is still enough friendship here that it remains fun to read.

ditto that Gayle. I agree, the N is up, the S is down. But, I still like to visit.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
i smoke crak in an earlier or later life...

Brandon J
08-11-2006, 10:51 PM
You guys are great. I was ROFL. I wrote this as a check-up of the forum as there is more "noise" than usual. Upset, no, not really. The forum is great and successful; as the saying goes, "a victim of its own success." However, we can still do what we can to maintain and uphold the mission of helping other dedicated BMW e34 owners.

Again, I want to welcome the new members. I also want to push you newbies to a high standard of knowledge and understanding of these beloved e34s. I want to help! It just gets more difficult to look through all the threads. Nobody is actually getting on my nerves. Again, there is information to learn from everyone. I just want to be able to get to the actual problems the e34s have and help those that are commited to conserving and improving them.

Cheers.

Evan
08-11-2006, 11:07 PM
you were just being grumpy.. confess

Qube
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
It's okay. I'll pinch hit for the newbies the first time :)

http://jasonlau.ca/images/search_bimmer.jpg

If it gets REAL bad, I'll break out this one...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/GKirk/normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

trumpetr
08-12-2006, 02:26 AM
A newbie, is an e34 enthusiast in the making. What better place, to cultivate enthusiasts.

genphreak
08-12-2006, 03:21 AM
You guys are great. I was ROFL. I wrote this as a check-up of the forum as there is more "noise" than usual. Upset, no, not really. The forum is great and successful; as the saying goes, "a victim of its own success." However, we can still do what we can to maintain and uphold the mission of helping other dedicated BMW e34 owners.

Again, I want to welcome the new members. I also want to push you newbies to a high standard of knowledge and understanding of these beloved e34s. I want to help! It just gets more difficult to look through all the threads. Nobody is actually getting on my nerves. Again, there is information to learn from everyone. I just want to be able to get to the actual problems the e34s have and help those that are commited to conserving and improving them.

Cheers.This is a great thread. Brandon you are right on. For all the n00b aviation engineers that need to ask how to fix a clunk or how they can stick on some carbon bits but can't spell or understand quite what your post was on about, there are fifty others that would tell you they think the things you've done are really cool. Your thread was no bitching session, but a wake up call. I've even proposed rules a while back, and still reckon some common decency ones might help, even if they upset Jeff should he feel incapable of navigating them during his various states of inebriation :D

What underscores this point is the increasing prevalance of peeps that come along and demand to know stuff without any @#$%!! manners, as if no-one ever taught them any and we owed them something. With such n00bs I have no patience. They may need to learn better but I am (we are?) ill-prepared to teach them such things. If they get no/bad help tough luck. The problem is, that due to the number of people online here they do and it fouls up the space with useless spats, prejudice and disinformation that waste's every member's time. So yes the space is very, very valuable.

Brandon's (and others) worry that good, experienced members can be turned away by the level of apparent indecency (ie 'noise') is an important point that has been made many times before. Usage of the board is expanding and (as any large community does) it needs some rules, plain and simple.

:) Nick

Paul in NZ
08-12-2006, 03:21 AM
its all secret patience training for working on M60s in a space designed for the mighty M30

wjbell
08-12-2006, 08:03 AM
You got guys with photoshoped sigs of cats wackin off and you're worried about having to answer a couple more questions about lifetime fluid?

I don't get it...

mattyb
08-12-2006, 09:23 AM
go to Thailand and for 5 bux a lady will show you! do a search man!!!

Bimmer Nut Ed
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
No problem with Space or Software or Bandwidth. Post away.

And on the topic of newbies, yes, use the search, and yes lets help everyone we can, and yes let's show patience. It's a communication board, lets communicate, and contribute. Newbies can contribute as well by posting links to previous threads you know!

Is there an issue with the board's software or the host accounts bandwidth? That's another story.Maybe people are under the impression posting something , anything is of no consequence whatsoever. If space here is precious and costly .

Gayle
08-12-2006, 10:04 AM
No problem with Space or Software or Bandwidth. Post away.

So glad to hear it! I was just getting ready to post fluff. :)

Ed--you are just the best.

nizmainiac
08-12-2006, 03:36 PM
i would just like to say as a newbie that i always search first and ask questions later, at some stage or another we were all newbies once, i always try to be polite and courtious , and at the end of the day some may have alot more experiance than others with regard to e34's , but aren't we all here to help each other:)

barry 90 525i
08-12-2006, 04:10 PM
is this board space fixed?, im wasting your time asking a question? i dont get it, even if u asked the same question 10 times, u would get different responces, i read a lot of the questions just because i learn more about the car, maybe thats not a problem yet, but sooner or later it will happen to your car, pretty much everything has broken one time or another, so all we would do is search and then there would never be any new questions here.on the other boards i see the same questions asked over and over, no one complains, they just help each other out.

HDhandyman
08-12-2006, 04:29 PM
who has a sig pic with cats wackin off? *searches forum with eager anticipation looking for n00b with enough gums to post such a thing*

:p :p :p :p

Bill R.
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
who has a sig pic with cats wackin off? *searches forum with eager anticipation looking for n00b with enough gums to post such a thing*

:p :p :p :p

Qube
08-12-2006, 05:29 PM
is this board space fixed?, im wasting your time asking a question? i dont get it, even if u asked the same question 10 times, u would get different responces, i read a lot of the questions just because i learn more about the car, maybe thats not a problem yet, but sooner or later it will happen to your car, pretty much everything has broken one time or another, so all we would do is search and then there would never be any new questions here.on the other boards i see the same questions asked over and over, no one complains, they just help each other out.

No, you are misunderstanding. The problem is, one should always search before asking a question. For example:

My fog lights aren't working. I've searching and checked that the highbeam bulbs are good... the wiring isn't frayed but there is no power going to the light sockets. I've traced at the fuse and there is power there. Maybe it's the LKM relay perhaps? Please help.

See, that post shows that you've done your research and the most common causes (ie. no highbeam bulb working) has been eliminated. If you can do that, then we will gladly help you with your different-than-usual problem. If you just jump in and post:

Topic: HELLLLLLLLLLP ME PLS! Need ur help quick
Message: I try my fog light swich and it not working. i noe the bulb is good i try so i noe its good. help!

See the difference? We don't care that you have the same problem as 100 people before you. We care that you haven't SHOWN that you tried the troubleshooting that 100 people before you have tried! That's all! :)

wjbell
08-12-2006, 06:08 PM
We were all newbies once. I like to remember the time when I just figured out how to sign up and post to a messageboard. (USENET, actually) I was thinking, 'Cool! All these people from all over the world helping each other. The internet rocks!' Until I posted a question and got flamed to hell for it. ****, I didn't know the difference. But out of all the people spending their time flaming me, there were one or two that actually helped me out. Helped out the newcomer when no one else would. As if they understood that I was new and didn't know better.

Man, those guys were cool.

Brandon J
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree. Those guys are cool. I don't believe I was flaming anyone. Why post if it isn't helpful? So again, as was said, there are a lot of good things said in this thread on how to approach asking for help and to, again, how to excel in the BMW e34 knowledge.

You know, I received a nasty PM from a member. In his 1st PM he assumed I was flaming him for a post he did and even directed a comment towards me. An accusation wihtout even asking me if I was referring to him? Nope. I did not and specific threads I had in mind I actually mentioned. No hiding here. I thought his action was being mean to a board member regardless new or old.

The title says "some" so to assume all or that this thread specifically applies to you is not a good assumption. I did not mention all. So, to those that were nice and took the suggestions listed here, welcome. I still welcome those that were not so nice.

Leaving a good list of suggestions for new members is not flaming. It is helpful. Bentley is a must. ETK is another must whether online or disc. Too many pictures does make it difficult at times to read through the thread or even download. Not linking to other boards is simple courtesy by all message boards. Etc., etc. Seems like some new members here don't want these types of suggestions, help, or feedback.

Again, why was I turned off?

We were all newbies once. I like to remember the time when I just figured out how to sign up and post to a messageboard. (USENET, actually) I was thinking, 'Cool! All these people from all over the world helping each other. The internet rocks!' Until I posted a question and got flamed to hell for it. ****, I didn't know the difference. But out of all the people spending their time flaming me, there were one or two that actually helped me out. Helped out the newcomer when no one else would. As if they understood that I was new and didn't know better.

Man, those guys were cool.

632 Regal
08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
I sort of got turned on.

Again, why was I turned off?

kick7ca
08-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but, I'm experiencing a front end shimmy around 55-60mph, any ideas what it could be? Oh and what other BMW wheels will fit my e34?

Thanks.

632 Regal
08-15-2006, 12:38 PM
could be the wingnut behind the wheel

Sorry to hijack this thread but, I'm experiencing a front end shimmy around 55-60mph, any ideas what it could be?

nipplewheels look great!
Oh and what other BMW wheels will fit my e34?

Bleeding_Knuckles
08-15-2006, 12:56 PM
you talking about mine?

nipplewheels look great!

632 Regal
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
yeah, exactly.
you talking about mine?

gjmane36
11-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I appreciate your comments.

from a Newbie to the site and repairing my 95 E34 540.

Thanks.

632 Regal
11-19-2006, 11:11 PM
so after al that and just a few questions you arent a nuube, this wouldnt apply to you..congradulations your a do bie!

I appreciate your comments.

from a Newbie to the site and repairing my 95 E34 540.

Thanks.

ricola
11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I've seen this type of BS before. I was dissed by some A hole the first time I posted here. I simply introduced myself and asked a question. If you don't want to help someone, don't! Just because you think you know so much doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at a potencial new member. I hope I'm never like that. If you don't want to answer a question that has been asked 100 times, help out by posting a link to the answer. Be curtious. Remember, you were new once too.

bigtisas
11-19-2006, 11:24 PM
May be a FAQ is needed. As the forum database grows bigger and bigger, it's hard to search for the answer from the past discussions.

winfred
11-19-2006, 11:39 PM
ahhhhhhhhh **** this post is back, took forever for this bitch to die the last time

rob101
11-20-2006, 12:00 AM
ahhhhhhhhh **** this post is back, took forever for this bitch to die the last time
Hello I am a newbie, I have noticed that there is a disgruntled mechanic on my BMW discussion board. Is this normal? Could this problem be caused by nikasil?

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Some new douche bag....

Buys a nice old BMW and....

Over heats it.

Wrecks it in a week.

Gets overspray on it.

Wants to put an M, Alpina, Hartge, Etc... badges to make the car run better.

Wants to rice it out.

Want to solve the wiper arm hitting the hood problem, and reach perfect world peace.

Wants angel eyes.

Wants to go "clear".

Wants to go "smoked"

Wants to go "black" (you'll never go back)

Wants to roll on 22 inch rims with the big boys.

Wants to put LEDs in, under, over and around it.

Wants to change every thing they heard can go wrong (even though it's all working)

Wants to go "cheap" and buy **** parts, and then asks everyone what do you think about these great Nigerian parts.

Wants to do their own work but.....can't even operate a can opener.

And then....

Asks what oil or coolant to use.......

Haa haaaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaa

winfred
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
nope, too many 960 volvo engine/head jobs lately, i hate that frog piece of **** engine (renault)

Hello I am a newbie, I have noticed that there is a disgruntled mechanic on my BMW discussion board. Is this normal? Could this problem be caused by nikasil?

ryan roopnarine
11-20-2006, 01:13 AM
hey, i don't mind it at all. it lets me use the derisive term for homosexuals that starts with F without feeling like a repulsive human being afterwards.

mamilapon
11-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Well maybe it's just about getting to know how to navigate this site. Not everybody is computer litterate.

JerseySi
11-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Some new douche bag....

Buys a nice old BMW and....

Over heats it. Mine cooked itself on the rolling road, should I be scared?

Wrecks it in a week. Took me 2 weeks to 'wreck' my E30 into a granite wall - the bmw lost

Gets overspray on it. Yup

Wants to put an M, Alpina, Hartge, Etc... badges to make the car run better.*ahem* yup *ahem*

Wants to rice it out.I'm not that bad

Want to solve the wiper arm hitting the hood problem, and reach perfect world peace.**** world peace, How the hell do you actually stop the wiper arm hitting the bonnet?! pisses me right off that does!!

Wants angel eyes.Yup

Wants to go "clear".yup

Wants to go "smoked"smoking's bad for you, but why not eh!

Wants to go "black" (you'll never go back)do black rims count? and black shadowline?

Wants to roll on 22 inch rims with the big boys.22's? old news, peeps iz rollin on 28s now fo' shizzle, ma nizzle, d bizzle, etc etczzle

Wants to put LEDs in, under, over and around it. Got 2 little led's inside :D

Wants to change every thing they heard can go wrong (even though it's all working) Mine's starting to go wrong, wont' be long before I need to get parts...

Wants to go "cheap" and buy **** parts, and then asks everyone what do you think about these great Nigerian parts.Need to get parts soon, where's the cheapest place? i Hear ebay is good...!

Wants to do their own work but.....can't even operate a can opener. Well I can work on my car more successfully than I can use my stupid old electric can opener.. Wonder if ebay do can openers?

And then....

Asks what oil or coolant to use.......What's the best tranny fluid for my car? :D

Haa haaaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newbs - we were all one once!
What I think is needed is a stickied thread at the top of the forum, that has a link to all]/i] the common (& less common) problems, each link pointing to a thread [i]with a definitive answer!
Example: search for "LKM", the amount of threads it throws back is just silly to trawl through the whole lot! - no wonder newbs get confused, and just ask anyway..
I don't bother asking Q's 'cos I have far too much time on my hands, and don't care about reading eleventy billion threads to fix my interior light, or whatever - likelyhood is, the light will stay fooked anyway!

jbourke
11-20-2006, 04:41 AM
I've seen this type of BS before. I was dissed by some A hole the first time I posted here. I simply introduced myself and asked a question. If you don't want to help someone, don't! Just because you think you know so much doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at a potencial new member. I hope I'm never like that. If you don't want to answer a question that has been asked 100 times, help out by posting a link to the answer. Be curtious. Remember, you were new once too.

Totally agree ... As a newbie I have asked some sane questions on a newbie level and got s**t for answers ... I deal with a quite a number of forums (broad interests) and I must say that there are some unhelpful types lurking around here only trying to be smart ... Luckely as in normal life the majority is helpful.

billy
11-20-2006, 05:17 AM
the answer to most questions will have been asked at some point in some area using certain wording on this website and others, should you have the time to spend looking for it

The whole point of this site is to get quick information about something, rather as spending 3 hours looking up something that could be answered by a knowledgable person on here in minutes.

If you find that task of giving too hard then just sit back and absorb the information, no one will think the worse of you for doing so..

Qube
11-20-2006, 07:15 AM
the answer to most questions will have been asked at some point in some area using certain wording on this website and others, should you have the time to spend looking for it

The whole point of this site is to get quick information about something, rather as spending 3 hours looking up something that could be answered by a knowledgable person on here in minutes.

If you find that task of giving too hard then just sit back and absorb the information, no one will think the worse of you for doing so..

Nicely said. Now fill out your profile, billy! :p

ricola
11-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Ya, a major part of signing onto a forum is the exchange of thoughts and idea's. The interaction of people from around the world with a common interest. If this was just a information source like wikipedia with no interaction of people, I'd find a new place. Infact, I'm looking for one now. With crabby old guys chasing newb's off every chance they get, this will be a gost forum in no time.

I'm on several other boards. The 914club.com is by far the nicest group of people I've met. The board is run on a garage type forum. You can discuss all kinds of things related or not related to the little car. Some of you crabby old dudes could take some Geritol and learn something about being friends from the 914 guys.For most of use, this is an escape from other A holes we have to deal with face to face on a daily basis. Maybe I'm all wrong here, but I actually enjoy working on cars. If I ask a newb question and you don't want to answer, don't. Have a nice holiday everyone!

BigKriss
11-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, we are all noobs once.

John B.
11-20-2006, 09:01 AM
One newbie tip I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is to go to Bruno's E34 site http://www.bmwe34.net/ & read through the Maintenance, Upgrades & Troubleshooting catagories. This site is invaluable to any E34 owner & should be required reading before posting questions about mechanical problems.

632 Regal
11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
no one will be here when you return...
I'd find a new place. Infact, I'm looking for one now. With crabby old guys chasing newb's off every chance they get, this will be a gost forum in no time. Have a nice holiday everyone!

Ross
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Some posters just expect to fix their car from behind a keyboard. It's easy enough to ignore and sometimes fun to ridicule.

NY535iManual
11-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I grew up in a family of SCCA and IMSA racers, so I know what it means to pass on hard-earned, valuable, tech knowledge. The e34 is, ahem, idiosyncratic at best, so let me say thanks to the "vets" who so freely share that knowledge and experience.

I'm a bit of a lurker (100 odd posts in 16 months of readership, 11 of membership), so its less interesting for me to read this kind of thread (but, as with the OJ Simpson show, I probably will). I was thinking that an FAQ might be the way to avoid the repeated quarterly cycle of someone posting a message to newbs re: searching, miffed newbs responding, chatter/sniping back and forth, and then subdued, pouting silence.

I'm happy to help assemble the FAQ (which I think should be organized by "symptom" i.e., "my foglights don't work"), but am barely able to turn my computer on, let alone anything more complicated. Anyone who wants to work on this with me let me know.

ricola
11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
no one will be here when you return...

LOL! ;)

angrypancake
11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Ya, a major part of signing onto a forum is the exchange of thoughts and idea's. The interaction of people from around the world with a common interest. If this was just a information source like wikipedia with no interaction of people, I'd find a new place. Infact, I'm looking for one now. With crabby old guys chasing newb's off every chance they get, this will be a gost forum in no time.

I'm on several other boards. The 914club.com is by far the nicest group of people I've met. The board is run on a garage type forum. You can discuss all kinds of things related or not related to the little car. Some of you crabby old dudes could take some Geritol and learn something about being friends from the 914 guys.For most of use, this is an escape from other A holes we have to deal with face to face on a daily basis. Maybe I'm all wrong here, but I actually enjoy working on cars. If I ask a newb question and you don't want to answer, don't. Have a nice holiday everyone!

i aint afraid of no ghosts.

OneBeLow
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
I live for the SEARCH button!

MagicMike
11-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Hello All,

I am a newbie here and I do understand where you are coming from. It's just common courtesy to do a search first before posting. This forum has been a great help to me especially as I am just finishing my clutch replacement on my own. Thanks to all. But for some newbies, this might be their first forum and might not realize the size of this forum and just automatically post a new thread. I think posts like this from time to time will help.

paul p (chi-town)
11-20-2006, 04:47 PM
May be a FAQ is needed.There is one (pretty much) it's called www.BMWe34.net
Maybe it needs to be stickied to the top of this forum and possibly the e30/36 since the 6 cylinder engines are the same.
Another thing is to remind newcomers to take heed of certain posters' status (big time to multiple grand masters). One of these peeps offers some advice it is best to heed it. This was obviously Brandon's prime frustration.

Also, noobs will be noobs. With this joint hittin the big time; Roundy article and all, alas we will be seing more of them.

”Hang up & Drive!"
94 BMW 530iT&A 125K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sniff* )
92 BMW 325i 125K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaack *whoohoo* hers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 745T 191K, ‘Thor’ ( 13 psi *smirk* no power steering *grunt* )
93 Datsun NX2000 160K ‘Carla’ ( alive & thumpin *uNfff!* )
85 Toyoda MR2 123K ‘Jerry’ ( so fresh and so clean, clean *grin* )
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin.
Kinda makes the ‘Patriot Act’ an oxymoron, eh.......

tdgard
11-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Well as a person who was a noob when this site was brought to be--as well as Ed and a few others--I agree with both sides of this. Mostly because I am now swimming through E46 sites trying to find info on the same sorts of things--ie bushings. Search, search, search.

I will say that the best boards out there have a FAQ that points to the most relevant and up to date discussion of major noob questions. Problem is creating that FAQ.

632 Regal
11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
wonder what would come up for ******* or asshat?

I live for the SEARCH button!

Wes F
11-22-2006, 01:39 AM
wonder what would come up for ******* or asshat?

Googled asshat...

http://www.geocities.com/wumbooism/asshat.jpg

mikell
11-22-2006, 09:00 AM
I was thinking that an FAQ might be the way to avoid the repeated quarterly cycle of someone posting a message to newbs re: searching, miffed newbs responding, chatter/sniping back and forth, and then subdued, pouting silence.

I'm happy to help assemble the FAQ (which I think should be organized by "symptom" i.e., "my foglights don't work"), but am barely able to turn my computer on, let alone anything more complicated. Anyone who wants to work on this with me let me know.

Check out the Archives (see link above) where helpful threads are segregated by general topic. The OT stuff does not appear in Archives, so you can get down to the meat of the matter you're interested in. Try it, you'll like it.