PDA

View Full Version : rebuild on tranny gone bad..

Denasti
08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I broke down a 4hp22 and reasembled it from the ground up. I replaced all the fiber discs and the steels on the forward clutch. I got it put in nice and smooth since this is the second time.

The car started up and I backed it up out of the driveway and drove it for about 8 miles and it shifted like it was new. The next day I went to back out of a parking spot after driving it about 5 miles and Reverse would not kick in. I pushed it out of the spot then drove it back to work and it seemed to not shift into 3rd.

From what I can read in the factory manual then it all points to the B clutch. The nasty basket near the end that contains 2 packs that you need to shimmy in near the end of the rebuild. I am thinking I did not get the basket totally put in and burned up these clutches.

Any ideas on this?

yaofeng
08-11-2006, 08:45 AM
It is way out of my league to begin with. The fact I will as soon get rid of an auto transmission is irrelevant.

My experience tearing things apart to re-asssemble tells me I am human. I am actually more human than the average. The mistakes I made fixing my cars is a good indication.

I wish you luck.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
could have been a seal that didnt get fitted right, take er back apart and dive in deeper. you will figure it out one of these times :D. the point that it worked one day kinds points to something marginal such as a seal that only lasted so long, loose valve body? Did you upgrade it too?.

Denasti
08-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I put in a overhaul kit which comes with all seals and the fiber discs. I did put a new torque converter on it also. I tell you if I break this down again and get it together its only because the damn thing was driving so smooth for that one day.

I think with these cars you can't have them running always or you would not appreciate it when you fix it. :p

I'll do a tear down tonight and let you know. I am getting dang good at it now. I can pull and put in a tranny in this car on jackstands in 8 hours. I am guessing it will take 2 to pull it and 3 to put it back this time. Ah well.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 04:26 PM
umm...did you get the valvebody upgrade kit? This could be the source of all your problems.

edit linky:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=www.bimmer.info&sitesearch=www.bimmer.info&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=valve+body+upgrade&spell=1
before qube gives you a ticket.

Denasti
08-12-2006, 08:43 AM
umm...did you get the valvebody upgrade kit? This could be the source of all your problems.

edit linky:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=www.bimmer.info&sitesearch=www.bimmer.info&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=valve+body+upgrade&spell=1
before qube gives you a ticket.

No, I did get all my parts from Axiom. I recall seeing a valve body upgrade kit there. What does it consist of and what do you do with it?

632 Regal
08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
it should include a new spacerplate, balls and some springy things...never saw one but it will fix a problem that is well known, the balls wear and get stuck in the spacerplate and burn the clutch packs.

last I knew a replacement valve body is around $400 exchange and about 250 for the kit if you want to fix it yourself.