PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for doing oil pan?

Jon K
08-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Does anyone use sealant when doing oil pan? Bentley says to, dunno what kind I should get locally exactly or if its even recommended.

Booster
08-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I have great luck with the orangy colorored high heat silicone from uh.... PERMATEX ?? I think thats the brand.
I'm out of it right now or I'd look. Seems that it was their blue with orange logo tube.
I guess your turbo oil drain fittings are done ?Hope so, I know your getting Psyched !!:D
.........Vinny

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
is that the gasket with metal sandwiched in the middle? if so no sealant used on mine and it's fine.

yaofeng
08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Does anyone use sealant when doing oil pan? Bentley says to, dunno what kind I should get locally exactly or if its even recommended.

Indeed you are cheap like me. All my SAAB's use blue permatex between the block and the sump pan. I use the orange Permatex between the timing cover and the block on my SAAB's too. I borrowed the experience and used it years ago on a 86 325es. It held to the day I sold it. I was going to do the same on my 525 for some reason people talked me out of it. I'd bet blue or orange Permatex work just as well as the over engineered BMW metal gasket with a bead of rubber.

Jon K
08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Indeed you are cheap like me. All my SAAB's use blue permatex between the block and the sump pan. I use the orange Permatex between the timing cover and the block on my SAAB's too. I borrowed the experience and used it years ago on a 86 325es. It held to the day I sold it. I was going to do the same on my 525 for some reason people talked me out of it. I'd bet blue or orange Permatex work just as well as the over engineered BMW metal gasket with a bead of rubber.

How am I cheap though? I have a metal/rubber oil pan gasket but the bentley says to use a sealant and I just need to know which. Do I use just gasket or gasket and sealant?

brosher
08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I'd prefer the gasket. That sealant stuff is a PITA to get off if you ever need to drop the pan again. Also you run the risk of sealant getting in to the oil supply. I'm not an expert though, anyone else feel this way?

yaofeng
08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Sorry big spender. If you already have the metal gasket, why change? I am just saying BMW and SAAB has different philosophies of sealing polished metal joint. Both work. But SAAB's method is cheaper.

brosher
08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Or maybe bentley is just refering to some common silicone sealant on the rubber parts of the gasket...

yaofeng
08-11-2006, 09:47 AM
How am I cheap though? I have a metal/rubber oil pan gasket but the bentley says to use a sealant and I just need to know which. Do I use just gasket or gasket and sealant?

Do you mean sealant on top of the metal gasket? No. The metal gasket is supposed to be installed dry.

Jon K
08-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Do you mean sealant on top of the metal gasket? No. The metal gasket is supposed to be installed dry.

Ok that was what I was wondering - I have like 3 or 4 metal/rubber gaskets and bentley said use silicone so I was a little confused. That's all - I am swapping oil pans out because I just got my other oil pan welded for turbo oil return :)

Anton CH.
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I just used on the corners of the gasket and it's OK.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 11:16 AM
you could put a dab of silicone in sharp corners and crap. the original gaskets might have been cork in the beginning?

Ok that was what I was wondering - I have like 3 or 4 metal/rubber gaskets and bentley said use silicone so I was a little confused. That's all - I am swapping oil pans out because I just got my other oil pan welded for turbo oil return :)

Martin in Bellevue
08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd be concerned about silicon fumes getting to the wideband O2 sensor.
If you are compelled to put something in there with the gasket, try an O2 sensor-safe gasket adhesive (hylomar?) between the pan & the gasket.

Jon K
08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd be concerned about silicon fumes getting to the wideband O2 sensor.
If you are compelled to put something in there with the gasket, try an O2 sensor-safe gasket adhesive (hylomar?) between the pan & the gasket.

Should I just say F it with the silicone? This motor will probably be out of the car during christmas break from school...

Bill R.
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Jon you can use permatex gray for imports or the blue oil resistant silicone for the best seal at the four points indicated here. The orange,red,green,yellow,clear,black,brown will also work but these two are most likely the best for your purposes. Almost all silicones available now days are sensor safe meaning they won't affect 02 sensors. It will state on the tube if its sensor safe.

Should I just say F it with the silicone? This motor will probably be out of the car during christmas break from school...

Jon K
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Jon you can use permatex gray for imports or the blue oil resistant silicone for the best seal at the four points indicated here. The orange,red,green,yellow,clear,black,brown will also work but these two are most likely the best for your purposes. Almost all silicones available now days are sensor safe meaning they won't affect 02 sensors. It will state on the tube if its sensor safe.

Thanks very much bill - can I opt not to use any silicone? Will it still seal? Also, the diagram you attached sounds much like the bentley manual - are they forgetting to metion the motor has to be lifted or subframe lowered, or is that not necessary afterall?

Bill R.
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
safe side. That diagram is from the factory service manual and they don't mention raising the motor on an m50 but they do mention removing the fan shroud, the fan, the power steering pump, the dipstick tube.

Thanks very much bill - can I opt not to use any silicone? Will it still seal? Also, the diagram you attached sounds much like the bentley manual - are they forgetting to metion the motor has to be lifted or subframe lowered, or is that not necessary afterall?

Jon K
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Ok - Ive removed all that crap before so I am going to go that route. Jacking up the motor/dropping subframe just sounds... not fun.

I have a full tube of Permatex Hi Temp RTV Silicone Red "GASKET MAKER" I checked their website, doesn't mention sensor safe. Hrm, think its good to use?

Also - should I let the RTV, should I use it, fully cure (who know show long that'd take?!) or is it ok to drive maybe ~ 1 hr or so after installation.

Bill R.
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
little too pricey not to go get a tube of fresh. Autozone now carries the loctite brand in the gray import gasket maker and its sensor safe.I'm holding a tube of it reading the label and it clearly states sensor safe on it.
If your going to use just a small amount at the four joints then don't worry about letting it cure, it will harden enough by the time your ready to drive, unless your going to be pressurizing the crankcase right away, such as 8 pounds of boost.

Ok - Ive removed all that crap before so I am going to go that route. Jacking up the motor/dropping subframe just sounds... not fun.

I have a full tube of Permatex Hi Temp RTV Silicone Red "GASKET MAKER" I checked their website, doesn't mention sensor safe. Hrm, think its good to use?

Also - should I let the RTV, should I use it, fully cure (who know show long that'd take?!) or is it ok to drive maybe ~ 1 hr or so after installation.

632 Regal
08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
let it dry at least 12 hours

Booster
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM

It'll say on the new tube of Permatex Jon. I usually wait overnite (4-hours min.) .
As far as going with out it.....I would definatly use some at LEAST at the points Bill R has indicated .
Your car will be seeing elevated engine bay temps and the temp of the oil will be higher than norn too.....the thin viscocity of oil will find a leak.......just drop at a time makes a mess in NO time when parked on a nice clean floor.
SEAL IT....top and bottom thinly, your choice.:)
.........Vinny

Jon K
08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks so much guys. I will stop and get a tube of the one you mention Bill. Unfortunately I will have to drive the car afterwards, but it wont be until after the pan is back up to the block, everything straightened up, and we lift the head out of an E30 S52 turbo we're working on, so I should have a decent "dry" time. thanks again.

BillionPa
08-12-2006, 05:10 AM
i ended up using permatex black. its sticky as hell, i doubt it will leak even if i take all the bolts out.