PDA

View Full Version : crazy jump wire found in my fuse box!!

fclake
08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
What the hell is this? I just found it while poking around.

Qube
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
So search and see what 12 and 29 represent ;)

Not really a search ticket post, but I mean you have that label under the cover showing you what's what... right? Tell us and we can tell you what it may be doing :)

EDIT: http://6enligne.net.free.fr/club/pics/fuse34_03.gif

That MAY be accurate for your vehicle. So a search and let us know ;)

http://jasonlau.ca/images/search_bimmer.jpg

NY535iManual
08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I have a very similar wire in my car, an 89 535, and I've never been able to figure out exactly what it does. On my car, it actually loops around into the hi beam harness (which my PO had patched into the AC harness). Mine wasn't actually connecting two fuses, but instead came up from underneath the fuse panel, and runs alway back to the main relay.

Qube
08-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey, come to think of it... I have a jump wire too! Let me go check in a bit.

BillionPa
08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
it appears to me that the 13 fuse is actually the one jumped.

saconnect
08-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey, that's cool. It's just jumping the hot side of the fuse to the hot side of the fuse. I'll bet either F29 or F12 are not getting power for some reason...but why those two? F12 controls some of the throttle mixture stuff, and F29 works with some A/C relays.

Why don't you unplug it and see if anything breaks? :-)

saconnect
08-11-2006, 12:46 AM
it appears to me that the 13 fuse is actually the one jumped.

If it's 13, that get's power from the LKM to power one of the high beams. Do you have any trouble with your LKM? If you un plug it from 13, does one of your high beams not light up? -- Saludos

Qube
08-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Small hijack... so I have a jump wire. Not sure where it goes. Stranger still, I'm going to see where this interesting relay is spliced from!

fclake
08-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Hey, that's cool. It's just jumping the hot side of the fuse to the hot side of the fuse. I'll bet either F29 or F12 are not getting power for some reason...but why those two? F12 controls some of the throttle mixture stuff, and F29 works with some A/C relays.

Why don't you unplug it and see if anything breaks? :-)
I'm Chicken

I'm afraid to unplug it. I'm a pretty good shade tree mec. but I have never had any luck with wiring. It runs from 12-heated washer jets to 29-A.C.,Aux fan, Aux water pump, wheel camber warning. Does that offer any clues? Thanks again to everybody this fourm has saved me piles of cash!

saconnect
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
[quote=fclake]I'm Chicken

I'm afraid to unplug it. I'm a pretty good shade tree mec. but I have never had any luck with wiring. It runs from 12-heated washer jets to 29-A.C.,Aux fan, Aux water pump, wheel camber warning. [quote]

Great picture! Are you sure it runs to 12 and not to 13? It would make more sense if it ran to F13. Instead of the battery supplying power to F13 and F14, The LKM, at least on the 94 5-series, and I believe you use the same LKM, supplies power for your high beam's directly to the power side of the fuse F13 and F14 when you turn on your high beams.

If I had to guess, the relay is probibly providing power to something else when your high beams are turned on. The jump from F29 should provide power at all times to your High beams, bypassing the LKM.

Since you have some sort of a jump coming out of the LKM into that relay, it may bypass powering the fuse, and the jump was installed to reprovide power? I'm assuming that once the relay is powered, it makes a connection and turns something else on. What this something else is I do not know.

Where does the power coming out of the relay go? I can't see from the picture?

Did I just mix up the two threads?

fclake
08-11-2006, 02:52 PM
[quote=fclake]I'm Chicken

I'm afraid to unplug it. I'm a pretty good shade tree mec. but I have never had any luck with wiring. It runs from 12-heated washer jets to 29-A.C.,Aux fan, Aux water pump, wheel camber warning. [quote]

Great picture! Are you sure it runs to 12 and not to 13? It would make more sense if it ran to F13. Instead of the battery supplying power to F13 and F14, The LKM, at least on the 94 5-series, and I believe you use the same LKM, supplies power for your high beam's directly to the power side of the fuse F13 and F14 when you turn on your high beams.

If I had to guess, the relay is probibly providing power to something else when your high beams are turned on. The jump from F29 should provide power at all times to your High beams, bypassing the LKM.

Since you have some sort of a jump coming out of the LKM into that relay, it may bypass powering the fuse, and the jump was installed to reprovide power? I'm assuming that once the relay is powered, it makes a connection and turns something else on. What this something else is I do not know.

Where does the power coming out of the relay go? I can't see from the picture?

Did I just mix up the two threads?
Thanks for dealing with this! Man I have no idea what LKM is! and it is running out of 12 for sure and I am more confused, pardon the pun, than ever. Thanks again all!!

saconnect
08-11-2006, 04:13 PM
[quote=saconnect][quote=fclake]I'm Chicken... Man I have no idea what LKM is! and it is running out of 12 for sure and I am more confused, pardon the pun, than ever. Thanks again all!!

LKM is the german abbreviation for "Licht Kontroll Modul", the light control module. It's the biggest black thingie in your front fuse box. If your headlights ever stop working...things like Brights come on when you flick the lever, but the lows won't, and the bulbs aren't burned out, then the LKM is probibly at fault.

In quebe's post, if you look at the picture, there is actually a wire running from the LKM to a relay. Power comes off directly off the LKM to your fuse number F13. Looks like in both your cases, someone decided that they needed to get power from somewhere else, so they jumped power to...in your case F12...

But the puzzle still remains...what does this really do for you, and why would one want to do it this way? I'd like to know too.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/LKM.htm

Paul in NZ
08-11-2006, 05:55 PM
it looks like 12 is displaced by the wire comig from 13.Pul it out you can put it back in.I bet after you pull it out you have a headlight problem which will be fixed by the LKM resoldering procedure.
I reckon Qubes jump is to power teh fogs when he has his high beams on....
Or to power teh Halos or parking lights or something
Or another LKM fix
have i covered all the bases?

fclake
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
[quote=fclake][quote=saconnect]

LKM is the german abbreviation for "Licht Kontroll Modul", the light control module. It's the biggest black thingie in your front fuse box. If your headlights ever stop working...things like Brights come on when you flick the lever, but the lows won't, and the bulbs aren't burned out, then the LKM is probibly at fault.

In quebe's post, if you look at the picture, there is actually a wire running from the LKM to a relay. Power comes off directly off the LKM to your fuse number F13. Looks like in both your cases, someone decided that they needed to get power from somewhere else, so they jumped power to...in your case F12...

But the puzzle still remains...what does this really do for you, and why would one want to do it this way? I'd like to know too.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/LKM.htm

thanks for the run down, maybe I'll suck it up and disconnect the jumper. I have to work all weekend so it may be monday before I can report back

saconnect
08-11-2006, 07:00 PM
it looks like 12 is displaced by the wire comig from 13.Pul it out you can put it back in.I bet after you pull it out you have a headlight problem which will be fixed by the LKM resoldering procedure.

I'll bet you're right on this one, but what puzzles me is that the high-beam switch must be turned on before the F13 and F14 get power. If I jump 29 to F13, wouldn't I get headlights on all the time since F29 is hot when the key in the ignition get's turned past off?

I reckon Qubes jump is to power teh fogs when he has his high beams on....
Or to power teh Halos or parking lights or something
Or another LKM fix
have i covered all the bases?

Nope, you forgot the 8-track tape player stashed n the boot...I bet it goes to that;)

Please let us know what happens when you remove the wire, and what you see when you open your LKM.

BillionPa
08-12-2006, 05:24 AM
hmm, Qube, is that there to get rid of the low beam error?

Qube
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
hmm, Qube, is that there to get rid of the low beam error?

I wouldn't think so. The PO didn't have HIDs... of course, if one of the HIDs/bulbs/ballasts fail, I still get the error. I'm not sure what it is. I"ll have to open up the lkm to see someday. Someday.