PDA

View Full Version : 535iM 1991 - tire rotation?

Thanos
04-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Sorry for yet another basic question but here goes:

I had my winter tires removed, and now will get the summer ones put back on...but I am sure that they were not marked for placement.

1. Does one rotate BMW tires?
2. How should I proceed?

(I recall that the outside of the front tires were worn more than the rears, so I should at least be able to discern front from back...)

Thank you all very much,

Thanos

lee
04-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Sorry for yet another basic question but here goes:

I had my winter tires removed, and now will get the summer ones put back on...but I am sure that they were not marked for placement.

1. Does one rotate BMW tires?
2. How should I proceed?

(I recall that the outside of the front tires were worn more than the rears, so I should at least be able to discern front from back...)

Thank you all very much,

Thanos

Although BMW does not recommend rotating tires, the independent I use does and this shop is an iaibmwsp authorized shop and very knowledgeable:

http://www.iaibmwsp.com/IbmwspFrame.htm

Assuming your tires are not *unidirectional*, they recommend rotating in an X pattern.

Paul in NZ
04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
that says that tires should stay on the same side of the car.You can try to even out the front outside/rear inside wear a bit

Thanos
04-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks.
I don't know what I'll do...but it doesn't sound like the end of the world either (or any which) way!

Rick L
04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I heard that you’re NOT supposed to rotate the tires. It even says in the Bentley book. Maybe do to negative camber?

dave b
04-05-2004, 06:10 PM
I look at the wear pattern to decide when to rotate, then I just do front to back. If something looks out of whack, then don't do it. Put if the wear pattern is smooth and normal, I would do it. It will increase the life of your tires.

jplacson
04-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, on newer Bimmers, you really can't since they have staggered sizes and are usually unidirectional.

On older Bimmers with assymetrical tires, and identical sizes... the usual (if you do rotate) pattern is a modified X

Front tires go back
Left rear goes to right front
Right rear goes to left front