PDA

View Full Version : Opinion please on bent wheels

Anton CH.
08-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I am looking at a set of BBS RK (17x8.5, light magnesium alloy wheels), locally. They are nice wheels and look great on the e34, however, one of the wheels is bent.

Note: attached is a pic of the bend.

mikell
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
No way would I ever buy a bent rim - I am not even so sure I'd buy a used one these days.

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
not worth buying a bent wheel dude

SharkmanBMW
08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
easily fixed, and a BBS RK is a strong wheel.

If they have NEVER been straightened before, it could be fixed.
If they have been done before - run away.

If they were anything other than a BBS, I would not bother.

Also, that bend is on the outside of the wheel - where it is strongest... is it bent on the inside lip also?
It may be worse there, spin them on a machine and see if it is bad.

Is there a reputable repair shop around you?

Like I said, if it was any other wheel, I would scrap the idea, but OEM or BBS should be easily fixed with good results.

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
isn't magnesium a very brittle metal, more so than aluminium, its not a repair i would trust, i used to work in a wheel dealers if we saw anything like that we would throw the wheel away regardless of its make

Bill R.
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
that they are a cast aluminum alloy , not mag.

isn't magnesium a very brittle metal, more so than aluminium, its not a repair i would trust, i used to work in a wheel dealers if we saw anything like that we would throw the wheel away regardless of its make

Anton CH.
08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
The inside actually of the wheel looks a lot better. They are slightly bent, nowhere near as bad as the outside. What worries me is that they stopped production of these wheels.

Someone told me they were magnisium alloy so I always assumed that. I think you are right, they are a tad heavy for magnesium.

Repairing magnesium didn't mkae sense to me so much either. But I imagine it can be done under the right temperature conditions.

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 03:56 PM
i was just going by what anton had said at the begining of this thread, either way magnesium or alloy is not a repair i would trust, the wheels and tyres are the only thing on the car that are in contact with the ground, iwouldn't put a repaired wheel on my car and i'm sure you wouldn't either , at the end of the day its a matter of safety:)

SharkmanBMW
08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
BBS are rarely bent, but if and when, are safe to repair. Replica ****-ass wheels that most people have are NOT worth repairing as they always get weaker, a BBS will be fine.
HOW MUCH $$$$????
That is the real question.
Is it worth it?

I would rather have a used set of BBS any day over a set of replica crap off ebay.

BBS are NOT "mag", they are either cast or forged from the good stuff, and are very light for the quality of the wheel.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Get it to the right temp and it could make a day at the ol' metal shop real interesting.

filip00
08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
two of my OZ 17"s where bent, and fixed, and it rolls straight, so i think if only one wheel is bent, and that little....why not buy it.

Anton CH.
08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Get it to the right temp and it could make a day at the ol' metal shop real interesting.
The shop ought to be OK if humidity is controlled.

Jehu
08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
i was just going by what anton had said at the beginning of this thread, either way magnesium or alloy is not a repair i would trust, the wheels and Tyrus are the only thing on the car that are in contact with the ground, wouldn't put a repaired wheel on my car and I'm sure you wouldn't either , at the end of the day its a matter of safety:) I have put over 3,000 miles on my Rondell #58s after having two of them trued. They call them light alloy, whatever they are they have remained true and been safe . I noted to myself the miracle of tire/wheel technology yesterday when i took a good hard curving highway offramp at 60 MPH putting a lot of force on the sidewalls. I was very glad the seal of the tires held to the wheels . If there was a problem with the process of truing such a bent wheel surely it would have shown up under that extremer force. I wouldn't pay very much for wheels alone but these came on the car and i like the style 58s so I'm pleased they're able to perform

Anton CH.
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
THank you for all the suggestions. I think I made up my mind now))