PDA

View Full Version : complete body panel swap, bad idea?

brosher
08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I am less than thrilled with the paint condition on my 540i. It doesn't really have any dents just lots of chips/scratches. It is one of those cars that looks great from 5 ft, but I really notice the imperfections when cleaning it.

Would I be nuts to buy a garage queen black 95 525 and swap the body panels? I know the vin #'s would be different which could hurt resale. I think if I kept record of what I did and took pictures of the process it wouldn't be that big a deal. I need to buy something for winter anyways. I figure I can find a really nice 525 for under 5 grand. Swap the body panels and sell the 525 in the spring.

Qube
08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I am less than thrilled with the paint condition on my 540i. It doesn't really have any dents just lots of chips/scratches. It is one of those cars that looks great from 5 ft, but I really notice the imperfections when cleaning it.

Would I be nuts to buy a garage queen black 95 525 and swap the body panels? I know the vin #'s would be different which could hurt resale. I think if I kept record of what I did and took pictures of the process it wouldn't be that big a deal. I need to buy something for winter anyways. I figure I can find a really nice 525 for under 5 grand. Swap the body panels and sell the 525 in the spring.

That some labor there... a repaint would probably get better results and cheaper. Now what 'imperfections' are you seeing?

brosher
08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Well there are plenty of rock chips on the hood. Some scratches that are too deep to buff out. I believe the rear passenger quarter and rear bumper has been repainted and not the best job done. I would think a respray would cost upwards of $2000...