PDA

View Full Version : "BC" switch and In-dash OBC display

SnakeyesTx
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I've got the "Brake Linings" message. Had it for about a month now. Changed the front sensor while inspecting the pads which were replaced via the previous owner taking it to an indy. Thinking I might have to get the rear sensor which apparently most shops don't have (and I live near a very bad dealership which is why I refuse to go there).

When I cycle through the message until I get a clear screen on the display in the dash, naturally a second or two later "Brake linings" comes back up. Let's say I change the back sensor... (two scenario question)

1 : The message is still there. Is there a way to block or bypass it or clear it so it won't come back up?

2 : The message disappears. Will I finally be able to use the "BC" switch on my turn signal stalk to get the OBC info to display? Currently with that message there, when I push the BC stalk in, I get nothing since "Brake linings" is in the way. Also when I clear it with the cycling button (like the trip odo one) and try the BC, it won't display (maybe because it knows the brake message is coming?)

ILoveMPower
08-09-2006, 12:22 PM
The sensors are the same for the front and back.

Once you've replaced them, turn your key to position2, and keep it there for 30 seconds (i believe this is the correct amount).

The sensors work by grounding out, so if theres a nick in the wire somewhere and its grounding out early, it pretty much renders the sensors useless, as it will ALWAYS throw the warning (like in my car).

EDIT: Yes, you'll be able to view your OBC info underneath your guages once you get rid of your warnings.

Qsilver7
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
as far as the BC functions displaying in the CCD (check control display)...ditto whats already been said. The check control system has priority over the display in the instr. cluster....the fact that you can "remotely" display the OBC features there is a "secondary benefit". If the CC system registers any faults or warnings....they have "first rights" to the display. There's even a "Priority" for the warnings displayed. Priority I warnings have 1st dibs on the display over Priority II warnings...and P II warnings have dibs over Priority III warnings. (this is all explained in the owners manual)

Priority I warnings get thrown up "in your face" immediately and stay on...Priority II warnings come on when you turn the ignition off (and may display when you first turn the ign on). Also, a "+" sign or arrow (depending on which model BMW you have) will appear if there are multiple warnings...which you can scroll thru by pressing the CCD button (located on the right side of the instr. cluster).

Here are the "Priority" warnings ...(check your owners manual for the exact ones you may have):

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/pg24.jpg

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/pg25.jpg

bagpuss
08-09-2006, 03:06 PM
1 : The message is still there. Is there a way to block or bypass it or clear it so it won't come back up?

You could remove the sensors and leave the wires either open or short circuit (whichever way round signals 'good') to fool the OBC. (Bit of a bodge job though).

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
I checked the sensors for cuts in the wiring and at the "pimple" on the face of the sensor. The senor triggers when the brake rotor wears away the "pimple" and breaks a thin wire in it, thus opening the circuit.

clean the plug contacts as well, since they are exposed to lots of water and dirt.