PDA

View Full Version : engine washing procedure recommended by BMW

shogun
08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Bring the engine to operating temperature, and switch the engine Off.

Cover or shield any component--such as the ignition distributor, multi-connectors, etc.--in the area to be cleaned with plastic sheeting.

Apply engine degreaser or general engine cleaning solvent to the dirty area, allowing it to soak for at least five minutes.

Spray warm water on the area to be cleaned, flushing the solvent and the contaminants.

Do not aim the water spray directly at components. Do not use the water spray any longer than necessary. Do not wash the entire engine compartment when only one area requires degreasing, such as the front crankshaft radial seal, M20 oil filter replacement, etc.

Blow the cleaned area dry immediately with moderate-pressure compressed air.

Start the engine immediately and road test the vehicle to confirm satisfactory operation.

BMW says it will not honor warranty claims for components damaged by improper engine cleaning.

RobE34
08-09-2006, 04:33 AM
we have our worst drought in 100 years. Water can only be viewed in museums. Guess we'll have to warm up some beer and wash it down. The car that is. Hang on... what do we wash the beer away with?. That's it! Drink lotsa beer and #iss on it:D

winfred
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
i preferr to wash with the engine cold no steam to condense where it shouldn't, then warm up after washing

yaofeng
08-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I know I have violeted every and all requirements posted by Shogun washing the engine. Just hope my luck doesn't run out.

What warranty?

shogun
08-09-2006, 09:53 AM
The above I copied from bmwworld.
But here is the official dealer info on my website below, please look for

No high pressure steam cleaning !

Qube
08-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I thought you posted something like this, or a scan of that a while back?