PDA

View Full Version : Small Buzz Noise

Macv
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
I've looked at the "rattle in dash" topics and they don't cover this...

I have a small humming, well more of a buzz coming from my dash. It happens about 50 % percent of the time I drive and it doesn't stop when it has started. It sounds like it coming from right behind the passenger climate control. The closest similarity of the sound I can think of is a faint tape player on FF or RW. I recently took out my radio to get the serial code and tightend it a little harder upon putting it back in. Other than that, I've done nothing different since I bought her. This is a '94 540i btw.

Any ideas on what it is, or how to get rid of it? Again it's not a rattle at a certain speed, it just happens and doesn't quit.

shogun
08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
There is a small fan behind the climate control panel for circulating the air in the cabin thru a small funnel with one of the temperature sensors. Remove the climate control panel and have a look, you might be surprised how much dirt is in the fan.

Then there is another fan (at least in my E32) just behind/below the glovebox under the carpet, that is for the e-box cooling in the engine room. It runs at 2 speeds depending on the temprature in the e-box.
Access from footwell passenger side, just follow the plastic funnel from aircon to passenger footwell.

Macv
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Awesome, I was going to mention it sounded like a fan but I didn't want people to be misled and starting giving advice about my vents. I did notice the vent in the climate control though. I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks.