PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet (Hood) Lock (catch)

bagpuss
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Having just replaced the bonnet cable I think I may have damaged the plastic tube part where the cable sits into at the lock end. Basically it broke off on trying to get the new cable sat into its groove. Now, pulling the handle does not release the bonnet, but pulling the whole thing, handle, external cable/outher sheath and all, does.

Even though a new lock is only about 15 bucks, it looks to me as if it will be very difficult to remove the old one with loads of stuff 'in the way' of the securing bolt(s). Therefore, does anyone know of a simple workaround fix to secure the lock end of the cable outer sheath such that the inside wire part can move independantly of the black outer sheath ? (I thought about super-glueing some sort of 1 inch tube to it to sit the outer cable sheath into - like that which was there, before I broke it !).

If not, can anyone point me to a procedure as to what exactly needs to be removed in order to access and replace the lock ?

Cheers.

632 Regal
08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
its the sheath, figure out whats supposed to hold it in place and fix it.

blue540
08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
The lock mechanism is actually not that bad to get at. I replaced mine (wide grill version, not sure about narrow grill)

My mechanism broke completely, no matter how hard I pulled I could not release the catch. I had to saw through the metal bar that engages with the catch with a hack saw blade slid through the gap between the grill and the hood......it took hours.

Most of the grill parts just pop off, then a couple of screws for the lights and you can access the fixings for the catch.