PDA

View Full Version : Bleed M60 Coolant, help please NOW

brosher
08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
I can't for the life of me figure out where to bleed the system. I know there is a ton of air in there cause I took out a lot more than it took in. Need to be back and running so I can go somewhere. :(

brosher
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
the site says this:

Separate expansion tank:
1. Loosen the bleed screw on top of thermostat housing and let the coolant flow out as you pour it in the reservoir. Tighten the screw when the flow out is smooth and free of air bubbles.

2. Set the temperature setting to full warm and start engine.
3. When the car is going to reach his normal temperature you might going to need to add more coolant. Always check the coolant level.
4. With engine idling at normal temperature, open the bleed screw and tighten it when coolant is spilling out smoothly and free of air bubbles.
5. Repeat bleeding, and again and again.
6. Do it a few times to avoid overheating.

WHERE IS THE T-STAT?

yaofeng
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I thought the 540 is self bleeding. The thermostat is above the black water pump pulley in the picture. In the picture the thermostat housing is not attached yet. Neither is the thermostat.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2833.jpg

Alpinewhite
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
M60 has self bleeding for coolant. If your thermostat is new you will have to drill a small hole on the sides so that the self bleeding works.

Good luck,
Arun

632 Regal
08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
hellow guys! this is an euro 6 540, he might have to bleed it as much as we love our V8s.

brosher
08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
My M60 definitley was not self bleeding. I ended up burping it at the upper radiator hose. I'm sure there is still some air in there but it got me around tonight with out issue.

brosher
08-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Maybe you guys are on to something. I drove around last night with no issues but this morning the expansion tank was empty. No apparent leaks so hopefully it is self bleeding and I'll be on my way. Also my car is not euro.

Does anyone have any more info on how this process works? What's this about drilling a hole in the t-stat?

yaofeng
08-09-2006, 08:07 AM
There is no bleeder screw on the cooling system of a 540. It is definitely self bleeding. I don't believe in tampering with the thermostat either.

632 Regal
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
my thermostat had a little checkball thing in it instead of an open hole. yes the V8 is self bleeding, just make sure the little plastic pisser line isnt plugged up.

brosher
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
That is kinda cool feature. What is the recommended fill procedure of an empty system? I couldn't get it to suck down coolant into the radiator until I cracked off the coolant hose at the top of the radiator.

632 Regal
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
then your thermostat isnt a BMW stat and dont have the check ball thing. mine took all but about a half gallon that eventually took after a short test drive.

That is kinda cool feature. What is the recommended fill procedure of an empty system? I couldn't get it to suck down coolant into the radiator until I cracked off the coolant hose at the top of the radiator.

brosher
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Well all seems to be good now as the coolant tank held it's level after the drive to work this morn. I have one more question though. My hose met it's demise from the fan rubbing on it and eventually made it through. It appears there is a mount for a retainer clip of some kind. I have no such clip, can anyone confirm that this clip exists.

I think it might be #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/c/k/4.png

Dr. Frank
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM

brosher
08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks Dr Frank. I just ordered one from the stealer for $2.50.