PDA

View Full Version : Gave a friend the bug...

SnakeyesTx
08-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Last Friday he and I were out to pick up some bbq necessities and passed by a Black 525i with a bright yellow for sale sign in the window. Yesterday... he bought it :D I keep telling him I'm going to steal his hood emblem roundel, the kick plate under the back door, his tool kit since mine was almost incomplete, his passenger side fog light, his upper control arms (no shake), and his front seat arm rests since they were almost mint. I told him he could keep his narrow grille and his 60k less miles since there's no way to take those :(

Anyway, I noticed while driving it that it has an erratic idle sometimes. It can be smooth for a little while, then go rough. This happens after you start the car, when you're at a light, just about anywhere. Once you accelerate, it pretty much goes away. Also the occasional wafting of a fuel smell comes into the cab through the a/c vents. The motor is really clean for its age (a little yellowing around the cam cover but that wipes off with cleaner and a towel). No apparent leaks.

Doing a little archive searching, there wasn't a whole lot to work with, but one thing that stood out was oxygen sensor, but I thought I'd run it by the rest of you before telling him to shell out 77 bucks. Any other ideas? Its a 95 525i M50 wth 92k miles (and he paid almost the same price I did for my 95 with 155k miles *growl*)

Note : He signed up here yesterday as "Milkboot" long story where that came from.. maybe I'll post it on a humor thread later :p

RobPatt
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
...but RARELY does it result in buying a BMW!!! Wow.

Erratic idle... sometimes.

Maybe clean the idle control valve?
Else just go over it in total via inspection 1 or 2. New plugs, etc, etc, fluids, filters, some techron, good gas, italian tune up also never hurt along with a good detailing to make it real happy. (O2 sensor is an inspection item too I believe....).

Cheers and hope next time it's just t-bones, porterhouses, or just the simple tasty chuck-eye. :D
-Rob sends....

Last Friday he and I were out to pick up some bbq necessities and passed by a Black 525i with a bright yellow for sale sign in the window. Yesterday... he bought it :D I keep telling him I'm going to steal his hood emblem roundel, the kick plate under the back door, his tool kit since mine was almost incomplete, his passenger side fog light, his upper control arms (no shake), and his front seat arm rests since they were almost mint. I told him he could keep his narrow grille and his 60k less miles since there's no way to take those :(

Anyway, I noticed while driving it that it has an erratic idle sometimes. It can be smooth for a little while, then go rough. This happens after you start the car, when you're at a light, just about anywhere. Once you accelerate, it pretty much goes away. Also the occasional wafting of a fuel smell comes into the cab through the a/c vents. The motor is really clean for its age (a little yellowing around the cam cover but that wipes off with cleaner and a towel). No apparent leaks.

Doing a little archive searching, there wasn't a whole lot to work with, but one thing that stood out was oxygen sensor, but I thought I'd run it by the rest of you before telling him to shell out 77 bucks. Any other ideas? Its a 95 525i M50 wth 92k miles (and he paid almost the same price I did for my 95 with 155k miles *growl*)

Note : He signed up here yesterday as "Milkboot" long story where that came from.. maybe I'll post it on a humor thread later :p

632 Regal
08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
i remember 2 or so years ago when I joined that the italian tuneup whas about the only method offered to fix these things. what a change...

...but RARELY does it result in buying a BMW!!! Wow.

Erratic idle... sometimes.

Maybe clean the idle control valve?
Else just go over it in total via inspection 1 or 2. New plugs, etc, etc, fluids, filters, some techron, good gas, italian tune up also never hurt along with a good detailing to make it real happy. (O2 sensor is an inspection item too I believe....).

Cheers and hope next time it's just t-bones, porterhouses, or just the simple tasty chuck-eye. :D
-Rob sends....