PDA

View Full Version : ignition key won't turn

nizmainiac
08-08-2006, 08:10 AM
i went to use my car today , put the key in the ignition and it only just lets off the steering lock, let go of the key and the steering lock clicks back on. iv'e sprayed some duck oil into the barrel wiggled the key back and forth and side to side i've even tried to get the lock tumbler out with a small allen key ,but i believe the lock has to be in position 2 to do this, what do i do next f***in gert hammer i suppose:(

shogun
08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Remove the BMW roundel from the steering wheel where the big nut is which holds the steering wheel. Use a hammer and hit it while at the same time trying to turn the ignition key. There is a steel bar which might be sticking and with the hammering it might get lose again and then you can turn the key. Here you can see the pin hanging down, look at the steering column (red) and from there straight down. If that pin retracts, you can turn the ignition key. Remove the battery cables first, if you have an airbag system.
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/removeCluster1.jpg

Phat1983
08-08-2006, 08:22 AM
I had the same prob only i was 300Km from home and 300 Km from my journey, I took off the steering covers and pulled out the white connector with the cords that go to the ignition and then used a screwdriver to turn the pin and start the car, I had to change the ignition and there was some sort of pin that was also broken behind the ignition switch as well. The actual parts were cheap but it took the locksmiths about 3 hours to figure out what the pin was for.

nizmainiac
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
the pin does retract and you can move the steering wheel , but the key won't turn any further than that, i'll try giving it a whack in a bit, i'm just waiting for some one to turn up with a big ass socket so i can get the wheel off it, so i can have a closer look

Omega
08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
nizmainiac - sent you a PM.

Dash01
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
i went to use my car today , put the key in the ignition and it only just lets off the steering lock, let go of the key and the steering lock clicks back on. iv'e sprayed some duck oil into the barrel wiggled the key back and forth and side to side i've even tried to get the lock tumbler out with a small allen key ,but i believe the lock has to be in position 2 to do this, what do i do next f***in gert hammer i suppose:(

Your problem is with the steering lock, rather than the ignition switch per se.

There is probably a small retainer pin that broke inside the steering lock, jamming it. Keep fiddling with the key and it may come loose, unjamming the st. lock. Still, you need to retreive the broken pin or else it may jam again.

The key must be turned ~60 degrees before the tumbler aligns so you can insert an allen wrench, paper clip, etc.

I may still have pics, and will email them to you if so.

I removed the entire ign. switch/steering lock from the steering column to work on it.

Ausmpower
08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Mine did that twice to me.

My solution was to tap the barrel with a rubber mallet, It fixed it straight away and I've not had the problem return for 4 months now.

It is a common problem with all the 80- mid 90 BM's.

The pin doesn't have to be broken to cause the problem, 16 years of dust is enough to cause the cast locking parts to freeze up from time to time.

DO NOT USE CRC OR WD-40 AS THESE WILL CAUSE THE BARREL TO DIE A SLOW DEATH, ONLY USE GRAPHITE POWDER ON THE BARREL!!!

nizmainiac
08-08-2006, 01:48 PM
well , i got the steering off and i still can't get the ignition switch past position 1, i'm thinking that i might have to use a slide hammer and pull the whole lot out and get a new column, i'll have another go at it tomorrow and see what happens

Dash01
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure the slide hammer will do anything but gut the ig. lock, leaving the steering lock still jammed. I suspect your problem is not the ig. lock itself, which would be ruined in using a slide hammer.

When I removed the entire assy from the steering column, I could work on a table, turn the assy. over, etc. to clear the jam, thus allowing the key to go to 60 degrees for removal, then access to the internal st. lock, per pics I sent you.

nizmainiac
08-08-2006, 02:35 PM
the slide hammer is more of a last resort than anything else, when i turn the key the steering lock pin goes up but not all the way into the housing like it should, indicating a jam somewhere, like you said, i'll have another bash at it tomorrow, see if i can figure it out

Dash01
08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
the slide hammer is more of a last resort than anything else, when i turn the key the steering lock pin goes up but not all the way into the housing like it should, indicating a jam somewhere, like you said, i'll have another bash at it tomorrow, see if i can figure it out

If yours is like mine (and it may or may not be), then gutting the ig. lock with a slide hammer will not pull the ig. cylinder out, but rather make sure it never comes out. The only way the ig.cylinder is gonna come out is if the key can be rotated to the 60 degree position. The ig. lock cylinder fits in there like a rifle bolt--can be retracted ONLY by rotating the key 60 degrees. Mine is that way, anyhow.

Omega
08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
As you have access to the steering lock bar, try moving it whilst turning the key.

I would not recomment a slide hammer or removing the whole steering column. Use a ball pein hammer and tap all around the lock and keep turning the key. It will eventually let go.

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 03:03 AM
i've just woken up, i'll try it in a while

Ausmpower
08-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Use a ball pein hammer and tap all around the lock and keep turning the key. It will eventually let go.

This is the only method that works.........The jam is NOT the barrel but the rack and pinion behind it (as in between the switch ans the barrel).

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 05:10 AM
i've already tried that and it doesn't make any differance

Ausmpower
08-09-2006, 08:08 AM
i've already tried that and it doesn't make any differance

smack it harder!

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
i'll try it with my dead-blow hammer

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
got the ignition to work, is there a torque wrench setting for the steering wheel?

Omega
08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
got the ignition to work, is there a torque wrench setting for the steering wheel?

Well done.

NOW PULL THE BARREL OUT.... Don't think it won't happen again. It does and it did to me :(

Don't know about torque setting. Bloody tight sum's it up nicely. I used a ratchet and a nightstick locked across the wheel. Tight enough....

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
i sat there and worked the key for about 15 mins and it seems ok, but like you said it will happen again, i tried to get the barrel out with an allen ket but it wouldn't budge , i'll try again tomorrow with a paper clip and see if i get any joy with that, at least i was able to go to the supermarket and buy some alcohol:)

Dash01
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
i sat there and worked the key for about 15 mins and it seems ok, but like you said it will happen again, i tried to get the barrel out with an allen ket but it wouldn't budge , i'll try again tomorrow with a paper clip and see if i get any joy with that, at least i was able to go to the supermarket and buy some alcohol:)

Don't drive the bimmer to get the booze. If that sucker jams again, it will make for a more interesting outing than you planned.

Instead, look at the pics I sent you, esp. the paper clip with a ~20 degree bend at the tip. That worked for me vastly better than an allen wrench, which was too stiff. Get the ign.lock out of the car, and clean out the debris in the steering lock. Dollars to doughnuts: You problem is the broken pin inside. Being aluminum, it is soft enough to jam inside the internal groove of the steering lock. Don't think it won't jam again, so clean it out. Otherwise, a simple and bulletproof design.

PS: To remove the camshaft, push in the locking button at the steering wheel cog rim, which will retract the finger-shaped lever and allow you to rotate and pull the camshaft out. Don't put the steering wheel back on til you do this.

nizmainiac
08-09-2006, 01:56 PM
already got the booze:) and everything was fine, but i will try to get the barrel out tomorrow with a paper clip and get the broken pin out, do you know if theres a torque wrench setting for the steering wheel? because my understanding of it is that the steering wheel boss is made of a softer metal than the column and seeing as the column has tapered splines on it if you over- tighten it wouldn't it increase the size of the splines in the back of the wheel making it not fit securly

Dash01
08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Bentley, p. 320-2 says self-lockng nut 59 ft. lbs, and bolt 46 ft. lbs. for steering wheel torques.

Per my pics, bend the paper clip as shown, so it inserts to ~1" depth. With the ~20 degree bend at the tip, just rotate the clip so it acts as a cam and retracts the ig. lock latch. Out she comes.

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 03:28 AM
thanks bart, where can i get a bentley manual from? all i've seen over here are the haynes manuals

shogun
08-10-2006, 04:47 AM
I assume you have the official Bentley Repair Manual

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 05:13 AM
thanks shogun , but i appear to have a problem viewing it , it goes straight to google and says your document search did not match any documents

shogun
08-10-2006, 06:24 AM
It works on my PC, no idea why it does not work on yours.
Any PC expert can give advice to him?

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 06:33 AM
i dunno mate, some of the links you have given me work and some don't , i right click on the blank screen with the little pdf thingy in the corner, and then i go to view cached pages (which is what i normally do) and it always go's straight to google

Dash01
08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
thanks bart, where can i get a bentley manual from? all i've seen over here are the haynes manuals

Amazon.com may be your best shot, and sometimes have discounted or good used stuff linked. Dunno what works in the UK, though.

nizmainiac
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
iv'e seen alot of people on here talk about the bentley manual so i thought i might try and get one , the haynes manuals are good though, they also have a very large motor museum

The Bigfella
08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Try opening Adobe in a separate window, then go back to the link and see if it works then - dont' know why, but that is what I have to do with PDF links.

Incidentally, I had the same problem with my 500SEC Benz once - I had a board meeting that afternoon that I had to drive 500k to attend, went to the car and could not get the key to turn - ended up taking daughter's 73 VW squareback - smashed a windscreen, couldn't get a replacement - 500k home in winter with no screen - then the Benz stealer wanted $650 for a new barrel - took the one out of my spares car instead.

Ian

Omega
08-11-2006, 02:28 AM
thanks shogun , but i appear to have a problem viewing it , it goes straight to google and says your document search did not match any documents

You will have to be on a broadband connection to get this. The file is HUGE...
If you are on dial up. Forget it. It's cheaper to buy the book!

To download:
Hover your mouse over the link in Shoguns post and RIGHT click.
Choose "Save target as" and save it on your hard drive
Once download complete, open it as normal

To buy:
I purchased the Bently book via Amazon.com It was about £40 all in with shipping. Took about a week.
Clicky Here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0837603196/104-0432769-3596714?v=glance&n=283155)

:)

'54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid

Now that sounds like FUN :D

Ausmpower
08-11-2006, 04:26 AM
right click the link and save target as.......

nizmainiac
08-11-2006, 04:47 AM
thanks guys , downloading right now