PDA

View Full Version : Please, please HELP desperate 540 wont start!

525SEI BRIT
08-08-2006, 06:15 AM
540 E34 1995 M60

Ok so I go out to move my car out of the drive so my dad can get out. Turn the ignition; engine turns over for what I thought seemed like a long time before firering and sounding really, really rough. Then just dies! Oh ****!

Turn over again, fires, runs for about 10 seconds at idle and just dies.

Sounds as though it’s being starved of fuel/ air.

Any squeeze of the throttle just kills it, no power.

Fuel light is on but obc says 11 miles range.

Need a second opinion ASAP before I start ripping into it as I’m totally stumped!

The car is quite new to me about 4 months it’s done 180,000 miles, and has never done this before.

Many thanks In advance, Steve.

Ausmpower
08-08-2006, 06:26 AM
You're out of fuel...............

As GOOSE say's "We're on vapour MAV....We don't have fuel for this.....":p

11 miles.......... Is an estimation......Not ACTUAL range.

pingu
08-08-2006, 06:29 AM
My OBC once said I had 22 miles of fuel left, even though the tank was empty (i.e. bone dry - wouldn't start). It seems that the easiest thing to do would be to put an extra gallon in the tank - that'll either fix the problem, or you'll have at least eliminated one potential cause of your problem.

525SEI BRIT
08-08-2006, 06:42 AM
My OBC once said I had 22 miles of fuel left, even though the tank was empty (i.e. bone dry - wouldn't start). It seems that the easiest thing to do would be to put an extra gallon in the tank - that'll either fix the problem, or you'll have at least eliminated one potential cause of your problem.

just about to elliminate that problem on way to petrol station as we speak. just dident expect it to fire on fumes! could pump filters be clogged?!

pingu
08-08-2006, 06:50 AM
My money is on it being lack of fuel - I don't see how the filters would suddenly clog - presumably the car was previously working fine (i.e. fuel going through the fuel filter nicely).

brosher
08-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Did you park on an incline? That could cause the fuel to not get picked up. Like the others said, put in some gas and give it a go. Try to keep > 1/4 tank in the future. I've read that the fuel pumps will die prematurley if you regularly get very low on fuel. I think its a $250 part so not worth the risk.

ILoveMPower
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I believe the fuel pump is lubricated by gasoline... DONT LET YOURSELF GET THIS LOW! :)