PDA

View Full Version : Mystery clunk in the front end; check lots but still can't find it.

Jeff N.
08-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Can't seem to locate this one.

Right side of car, seems to rattle/bang on rough road. Checked the following:

- Sway links ok
- Strut top nut tight.
- Strut collar nut tight.
- No play in wheel bearing
- Calipers are tight
- Strut to lower control arm (3 19mm bolts) tight
- Thrust arm bushings relatively new, car has no shimmy. Visual inspection seems ok.
- Front control arm bushing OK.
- Ball joints seem OK - not 100% sure how to inspect thoroughly
- Ball joint nut tight
- Tie rods seems OK
- Tie rod nut tight
- Pitman arm and center link seem OK

...also

- Motor mounts tight.
- Tranny mounts tight.

What the heck is left?? I'm stumped.

Robin-535im
08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Jeff,

I had a sway link that was loose where it connected to the hub area on the old E34. Cranked it down EXTRA tight to fix it... it would make a quick little rattle/clank if I went over small bumps just right, like pulling into a driveway one wheel at a time.

Been feeling like Seattle down here lately, lots and lots of rain. Better than a heat wave I guess!

- Robin

Jeff N.
08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
..this is driving me nuts.

Hey Jeff,

I had a sway link that was loose where it connected to the hub area on the old E34. Cranked it down EXTRA tight to fix it... it would make a quick little rattle/clank if I went over small bumps just right, like pulling into a driveway one wheel at a time.

Been feeling like Seattle down here lately, lots and lots of rain. Better than a heat wave I guess!

- Robin

aston_jag_tech
08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Get this...I had a clunk.clunk over speed bumps in a 05 XKR that was caused by the bump stop being cracked from racing it on the track.

Also, I had a 00 DB7 Vantage that made click.clunk when turning steering wheel one full turn and then going through a little uneven road surface. That turned out to be not loose loose fasteners but just slightly loose fasteners.

Another one was a Jaguar XKR 03, rattle over bumps light clunk. I installed a new shock previously and found out the new shock I installed was faulty inside. One of my co-workers explained what happens is that theirs a sleeve in there that slides and if the eld cracks it bounces inside. I think thats what he said.

Really good...I mean great tool which I use for such noises is called "Chassis Ears". Metal aligator clips with wires to an amplifier with headphones. Up to six may be hooked up. Very useful.

Hope you find that nosie. Good luck.

-Scott

Phat1983
08-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Check the inner wheelarch cover, I know they are made of plastic but they make quiet a thunk over bumps when they are loose.

Ausmpower
08-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Split spring seats (rubber under the spring) will cause the banging you mention.........

Jeff N.
08-08-2006, 08:52 AM

Split spring seats (rubber under the spring) will cause the banging you mention.........

ILoveMPower
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
If its a rattle, be sure to check your brake clips, make sure you're not missing any.

cmk
08-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Aside from what all others have mentioned, if you have trouble localizing the noise it may be a bolt(s) in the oil pan.

Hector
08-08-2006, 06:26 PM
check the front crossmember bolts are tight.

Can't seem to locate this one.

Right side of car, seems to rattle/bang on rough road. Checked the following:

- Sway links ok
- Strut top nut tight.
- Strut collar nut tight.
- No play in wheel bearing
- Calipers are tight
- Strut to lower control arm (3 19mm bolts) tight
- Thrust arm bushings relatively new, car has no shimmy. Visual inspection seems ok.
- Front control arm bushing OK.
- Ball joints seem OK - not 100% sure how to inspect thoroughly
- Ball joint nut tight
- Tie rods seems OK
- Tie rod nut tight
- Pitman arm and center link seem OK

...also

- Motor mounts tight.
- Tranny mounts tight.

What the heck is left?? I'm stumped.

Jeff N.
08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
check the front crossmember bolts are tight.

Basically, anything that Martin has touched I checked.

Martin in Bellevue
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey, you're welcome mate! Glad I could do all the work on your car in my garage, while you watched & drank my beer. You're welcome.

632 Regal
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
did you put a big pipe wrench on the strut collar and reef it tighter? I mean it needs to be really tight.