PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Car won't start

Jzza4
08-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Left the radio on for 10-15 minutes. About an hour later I attempt to start the car and it won't start. I have done this before and the car started with no problems.

Jumping was unsuccessful (alternator did not make clicking noise). The aux fan fuse was fried, so I replaced it, nothing again. The aftermarket radio would not turn on (fuse was fine), the horn would not work, but lights, alarm worked. I could not move the car out of park when turning the key. The lights on the dash would not light up when turning the key except for the message display saying key in ignition. The steering wheel would not move ( in lock position).

I tried locating the starter, but due to darkness and the lowering kit, was unsuccessful.

Alternator or starter cooked?

Ausmpower
08-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Do you have an aftermarket immobiliser fitted?

Jzza4
08-08-2006, 08:02 AM
If that's what you are referring to.

Today, I attempted to jump with no luck. I still cannot turn the wheel or engage into any gear (auto trans) when turning the key. I also don't get any controls to work, the fan doesn't go on when I turn the knob.

When traffic dies down, I am going to try and unhook the battery and DME.

H E L P !!!!

Qsilver7
08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
have you unlocked your OBC (and do TEST #9) to see what the battery voltage is...that way you can rule out that the battery is too weak to start the car. This can happen (and it does often enough)...that the battery will have enough power to run some aux stuff in the car...but not have enough power to start it. Doing TEST #9....the battery voltage (with engine NOT running) should range consistantly between 11.9v-12.8v...if it consistantly reads below that (like 10.5v-11.5v)...then the battery is too weak to start the car...even with jumping.

Click the following link for instructions on how to unlock your OBC: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-6767.html

If you can rule out the battery...check your fuses to see if you've blown one. For instance...fuse #20 (in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side) is connected to a lot of stuff...like the EWS control unit (the immobilizing system)...plus other stuff in the instrument cluster. Since the instr cluster and dash stuff are connected to several fuses (just take a look at the fuse index on the underside of the fuse cover)...some stuff may still be operating (like you've mentioned) and some stuff may not be working.

Good luck and report back...especially if any of the above solve the problem or sets you in the right direction. It helps others in the future, if/when searching thru the archives, see a solution and not just a question that may be similar to theirs. ;)

ILoveMPower
08-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Look on the OBC, see if there's little red LED lit up that isn't normally there, I believe it's next to the "CODE" button.

If so, just make sure battery is charged up, then unhook it for about 15-30 mins. This should reset it and you should be all set.

Jzza4
08-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Should I do the battery test even though it did not start when jumped?

I did check the fuses. the aux fan fuse was blown, so I replaced with the heater seat fuse (no spare and don't need seat heat now).

I would feel a lot better if I could just get it into neutral and have it towed.

Qsilver7
08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Should I do the battery test even though it did not start when jumped?
YES.

I did check the fuses. the aux fan fuse was blown, so I replaced with the heater seat fuse (no spare and don't need seat heat now).
Again, Check #20 and #1 and all of the fuses that are associated with some of the stuff you say is not working...the fuse could have a minor crack that is not apparent to the casual look-see. Since you don't have extra fuses...try swapping around some of the ones that are the same amp...just remember which ones you swapped so that you don't lose track of which one might be bad. :)

And when you're at the auto parts store or Wal-Mart etc...pick up some spare fuses....there is a place under the fuse cover to store 1 ea:
30a
20a
10a
7.5a

I would feel a lot better if I could just get it into neutral and have it towed.
So when you turn the igntion to position 1 or position 2...and press the brake pedal down...you can't move the gear select lever back into neutral?

Jzza4
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Cannot move into any gear (auto trans).

Can't move steering wheel.

Radio does not turn on and other controls do not function (all lights work, hazards).