PDA

View Full Version : Shipping E34 seats- anyone done this (or received a set recently?)

Rigmaster
04-05-2004, 09:49 AM
I need to ship a set of E34 seats from NC to San Diego, the buyer has a business address so I am going to try to ship Fedex Ground (Fedex home delivery has a 70# weight limit), I plan to box each front seat individually in large cardboard sheets cut to fit with lots of tape. Rear seat will be shipped together in 1 large box. So, 3 pieces total.

My question is, has anyone done this recently, and, if so, how did you do it and what did it cost?? Or, has anyone had seats shipped to them recently and how was it done/ what did it cost?

I was thinking of wrapping the seats and putting them all on 1 pallet for trucking, but I think they would be "safer" with UPS or Fedex.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Bret.

Bill R.
04-05-2004, 09:53 AM
ups, they reclined the seats all the way so they were almost flat and then more or less wrapped pieces of cardboard boxes around them and used lots of packing tape.. They were just under the weight limit if i recall correctly and it cost around 70 to ship from San Diego to AZ. These were not on a pallet, just bubble wrap and carboard with lots of tape..

I need to ship a set of E34 seats from NC to San Diego, the buyer has a business address so I am going to try to ship Fedex Ground (Fedex home delivery has a 70# weight limit), I plan to box each front seat individually in large cardboard sheets cut to fit with lots of tape. Rear seat will be shipped together in 1 large box. So, 3 pieces total.

My question is, has anyone done this recently, and, if so, how did you do it and what did it cost?? Or, has anyone had seats shipped to them recently and how was it done/ what did it cost?

I was thinking of wrapping the seats and putting them all on 1 pallet for trucking, but I think they would be "safer" with UPS or Fedex.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Bret.

talltorontoguy
04-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Check out USPS... they have some good rates (cheaper than UPS / FedEx in my experience) for ground and also will accept unpackaged or oddly packaged materials.

The challenge is the size of what you are shipping. Most carriers will only accept a certain total dimension (L+W+H) and weight. Each of their websites outlines their policy.

Rod

AZ_Jason_S
04-05-2004, 12:11 PM
They just stick on a bus in the lower luggage compartment. I did it once, it was cheap and fast. I shipped a big item from LA to Phoenix, I received it in 24 hours. Cost me $35, it was a pretty light piece though.

TimGinCentralNJ
04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
...my E28 buddy sent me a set of E28 'comfort' seats for my '81 528i from KY. He sent them on a pallat (sp?)with a huge cardboard box taped around it. I believe he sent them UPS or RPS ground. Cost was about $100 from KY to NJ. Hope that gives you some idea.

My personal feeling is, since I paid $100 for the seats, another $100 for shipping (and felt obliged to give my buddy $100 for his "creative packing" and all his trouble)unless these seats are REALLY rare, I would try to find some local to you. Just too damn big and expensive to ship IMO.

Rgds,
Tim G.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Bret.

Tiger
04-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Speaking of comfort seat... is there one for E34? Or E32 that can be put into E34?

TimGinCentralNJ
04-06-2004, 06:57 AM
...is pretty much the equivalent of the stock seats found in an E32/E34. The reason for the different seat designations with E28's is because the E28 M5 and 535iS came with what was know as the "sport seat" (allegedly designed by Recaro), which was extremely well-bolstered in all directions, but not all that comfortable. Thus, the standard E28 seat became known as the "comfort seat" or the "couch seats".

Hope that helps,
Tim

Speaking of comfort seat... is there one for E34? Or E32 that can be put into E34?

Warren N.CA
04-06-2004, 12:23 PM
as weight goes up, UPS becomes cheaper. Especially if you need insurance- much more costly from USPS. Also USPS has size limits which may preclude shipping auto seats. Check with them for specifics at -1-800-275-8777.

Check out USPS... they have some good rates (cheaper than UPS / FedEx in my experience) for ground and also will accept unpackaged or oddly packaged materials.

The challenge is the size of what you are shipping. Most carriers will only accept a certain total dimension (L+W+H) and weight. Each of their websites outlines their policy.

Rod

Tiger
04-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Ahh... then I want Pillowtop seat... Looks like I will have to redo the foams myself for extra cushioning... mainly on the seat bottoms. Yes, it's for my ass! ;)