PDA

View Full Version : Washer fluid low

fclake
08-07-2006, 04:56 PM
how do i bypass this sensor? it is is faulty and i have no desire to replace it, i just want the damm message to be gone.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
It's on the side of the reservoir.

it can get rotated out of position, or the contacts for the plug get dirty. Both will give the error when to reservoir is full.

fclake
08-07-2006, 06:07 PM
It's on the side of the reservoir.

it can get rotated out of position, or the contacts for the plug get dirty. Both will give the error when to reservoir is full.

Thanks I'll check it, does the flat part face up or down?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-07-2006, 06:23 PM
at the mounting point for the sensor on the reservoir, I think it is recessed with the same shape as the sensor, so the flat side lines up correctly.

fclake
08-07-2006, 06:36 PM
at the mounting point for the sensor on the reservoir, I think it is recessed with the same shape as the sensor, so the flat side lines up correctly.

If that dosent work is there a way to bypass or trick it?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
But I am the wrong guy for that sort of thing.....I'd rather fix it and have it work rather than start doing work arounds.

The sensor is a simple float/magnet type of deal. Not much to break or fix.

if it still gives you an error, make sure the float is moving, or try cleaning the terminal contacts.

and if all else fails, remove the senosr and clean it.

When I had this type of error, it was either the sensor was in the wrong position (error when turning or braking hard) and once the float was stuck after I removed and drained the reservoir on my Touring's rear washer to fix the gas flap lock.

DaveVoorhis
08-07-2006, 06:55 PM
how do i bypass this sensor? it is is faulty and i have no desire to replace it, i just want the damm message to be gone.

I forget whether it's normally open or normally closed, but it's simple to find out. Unplug the sensor connector. If the message is gone, you're done. If the message is still there, short the sensor leads. If the message is gone, you're done.

brosher
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Come on, cough up the 30 bucks and replace it. The next poor sap that buys your car will be SOL when his washer fluid runs out without warning!

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=3p2zq0b3xrva0ae5qmwayvnz&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012071@525I&year=1994&cid=35@Wipers%20%26%20Wiper%20System&gid=8836@Windshield%20Washer%20Level%20Sensor

fclake
08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
thanx for the link

shogun
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM
You can kill that thing easily. Just bridge the 2 cables in the plug for the sensor.
Then it should be no alarm. If you still get the alarm, then one of the 2 wires is broken from the plug to the check control module. I just repaired that on my car last weekend. Very thin cables, they usually break close to the plug.
I resoldered the wire.

fclake
08-07-2006, 09:33 PM
You can kill that thing easily. Just bridge the 2 cables in the plug for the sensor.
Then it should be no alarm. If you still get the alarm, then one of the 2 wires is broken from the plug to the check control module. I just repaired that on my car last weekend. Very thin cables, they usually break close to the plug.
I resoldered the wire.

I just did that,worked fine thanks alot. Ian

LennyChanler
08-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I agree, as that is one of the easiest DIY jobs there is. Heck, even I changed out that sensor in my 525i all by myself.