PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't engage 1st and 2nd gear.

White535Mtl
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
This usually happens after I've been doing some heavy speed (200kph) and causes quite a concern when I'm at the red light and simply can't engage into 1st or second with the clutch fully depressed.

The symptoms are simple. After some rough driving, the friction point seems to become much much lower. I would normally feel the friction point anywhere close to the middle of the clutch travel. but it seems to become much lower, closer to the firewall after some spirited driving.
Sometimes, I just have the lift the foot a little the find the car jerking forward.

Now it simply won't even go into 1st or 2nd gear unless the car is not running. When I try to put it in gear at idle, it would slowly move forward (when 1st gear is not engaged but when I'm pushing slightly towards) and when I push harder, it grinds.

Can anyone help?

If anyone requires any additional information, please feel free to ask.

632 Regal
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I would change the clutch fluid and bleed it and see if that helps.

Qube
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
This usually happens after I've been doing some heavy speed (200kph) and causes quite a concern when I'm at the red light and simply can't engage into 1st or second with the clutch fully depressed.

The symptoms are simple. After some rough driving, the friction point seems to become much much lower. I would normally feel the friction point anywhere close to the middle of the clutch travel. but it seems to become much lower, closer to the firewall after some spirited driving.
Sometimes, I just have the lift the foot a little the find the car jerking forward.

Now it simply won't even go into 1st or 2nd gear unless the car is not running. When I try to put it in gear at idle, it would slowly move forward (when 1st gear is not engaged but when I'm pushing slightly towards) and when I push harder, it grinds.

Can anyone help?

If anyone requires any additional information, please feel free to ask.

That's the key. I believe the first thing to look at is fluid and bleed.

ber55ber55
08-07-2006, 06:43 PM
you know what....i feel your pain. My M3 had the same symptoms, and only after I gased her a couple times...then i had problems engaging the gear. In my case though....I also had a slipping clutch plate. I installed a 4 puck, and drained a bleed the clutch twice....and it went away....

The only problem i have now is i need a lot of throttle with the 4 puck since it grips like a mofo. AWESOME LAUNCHES without the traction control. But i think you need to just bleed like the two above have stated..