PDA

View Full Version : What happened to shock absorbers failing by just going soft?

Martin in Bellevue
08-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Yesterday, a front bilstein sport seized up on my 535. They are about 4 years old, & the first 3 years were with the bavauto springs. Eibach pro-kit springs are on there now, & aren't all that low. Honestly, I've been waiting a long time for the bilsteins to soften up just a scooch.

After an extensive search on strut discussions, I'll be replacing the fronts with kyb's, or sach's/boge's, whichever are softer & cheaper, & in stock.

Another thing, if I an not heard from in the immediate future, assume I've been caught harming the california overnight delivery guy that bma Pat insists on using. Those guys won't leave a package for anything. There's notation on my account to leave deliveries at the door. There's multiple call backs & pleas to stick with ups.

Martin, now in El Dorado Hills, ca

Qube
08-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Again, I caution against using KYBs with lowering springs. Stocks hold better than them. If you have factory springs, I have no hesitation recommending them.

blee
08-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Again, I caution against using KYBs with lowering springs. Stocks hold better than them. If you have factory springs, I have no hesitation recommending them.

Question -- I've seen Monroe and KYB struts available from the local parts store. They're listed as "strut inserts," though, so that got me thinking. Are these straight bolt-on replacements, just like they would be if I were to buy Boge/Bilstein parts? Or is there more work involved to make the inserts fit into stock housings, etc.?

632 Regal
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Martin I have the sachs turbo gas or whatever they are called up front and it was night and day difference from the sports. so much nicer riding and it doesnt bottom out like the sports either, I mean you "can" get them to bottom but it seems they are valved to dampen when needed instead of all the time.

I didnt notice much difference in handling at all.

I need to get a set for the rear, it will probably ride like a land yacht.

nizmainiac
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
the strut inserts fit right inside the shock tubes

Martin in Bellevue
08-07-2006, 11:29 AM
the bma gal had me order the boge's. I am looking forward to a bit more compliance.

632 Regal
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I was anticipating a mushy ride, (think 1975 Cadillac) and was more than impressed with them. I think the Sachs are way under rated.

the bma gal had me order the boge's. I am looking forward to a bit more compliance.