PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing calipers...

dternst
08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm having some difficulty removing the calipers on my '95 530i. I've completely removed the guide pins. There is a small lip on the rotors. How do I compress the piston, while the calipers are on the rotor, to get the piston over the lip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

David

Chris'91'525i
08-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm having some difficulty removing the calipers on my '95 530i. I've completely removed the guide pins. There is a small lip on the rotors. How do I compress the piston, while the calipers are on the rotor, to get the piston over the lip?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
David
Remove the bolts that holds caliper to steering knuckle first........then.......
Put a box wrench on the bleeder and then a piece of tubing on bleeder and into a waste container.
Crack bleeder with wrench and rock caliper back and forth enough to retract piston into caliper so you can lift it off rotor.
Once caliper is off, you can push piston all the way into caliper with a giant pair of Channellock pliers , or similar.
Close bleeder screw.
You can also do it without opening bleeder with more forceful rocking. But I don't recomend pushing old nasty fluid up into the master cylinder.

Or use brut force by forcing caliper off rotor lip with a big pry bar :D

SnakeyesTx
08-06-2006, 08:08 PM
I always whack the top of the caliper once or twice with a BFH to break some of the rust loose and the caliper usually wiggles right out afterwards.

dternst
08-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I was able to remove them with a little patience. I pulled the calipers towards me for a few seconds and they slide right off. I found an article Shogun had posted that explained the procedure.

Thanks guys...

mattyb
08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
well done. i got here a bit late for that one but was only to offer what had already been said anyways. doesnt hurt to get an air compressor in there to blow out all the old shitty dust if you have one handy, just protect your meat pies and youll be right.