PDA

View Full Version : Rocker gaskets leaking *AGAIN*

Zeeny99999
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
In need of help!

Bought my car last week, M60 540 E34, and the plug sockets were full of oil (I mean FULL). It was the rocker (or valve as you guys say) cover gaskets on both banks that were leaking.

Replaced both the inner and outer casing gaskets, used some silicone sealant on the sides (not the face), GENUINE gaskets from BMW. All tightended up (not overtightened).

And it STILL LEAKS, its dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold when you push it hard for any period of time.

I heard that there is a PSV valve or something that may go and cause this to happen, also are there any crank case breather pipes that may be blocked ???

Pleeeeeease drop some ideas my way !!!

Jon

Ausmpower
08-07-2006, 04:38 AM
1. NEVER use silicone on rubber gaskets (it can make them swell & distort).

2. Don't over tighten the rocker cover bolts (I go finger tight then 3/4 turn....no leaks)

3. Your engine has an oil separator (cyclone) not a PCV valve.

4. blocked breather lines will cause you dip stick to pop out due to crank case pressurisation.

5. be sure you have tightened the r/cover nuts evenly otherwise the gaskets won't seal.

HTH!

mamilapon
08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
As mentioned do not use silicone. Use either Hylomar (Rolls Royce) or red RTV or just nothing. Do not forget to torque the bolts diametrically at the prescribed value from your Bentley. Not familiar with the V8 but it's a tad weird that so much oil is coming out. Try looking elsewhere for that leak.