PDA

View Full Version : A/C noise

SnakeyesTx
08-06-2006, 02:20 AM
The original owner had the compressor and clutch and just about everything else a/c related replaced at the dealer he bought the car from about 3 years ago. The a/c blows cold enough for me to have to turn down the blower and turn the temperature well past 75 degrees sometimes (23-24*C for you metric guys). Sometimes I turn the snowflake button (I guess this is the a/c clutch button) off and it still blows super cold for almost an hour. Sometimes I wonder if that button even works and turns off the compressor but I never got outside to look. Anyway, when the compressor is running, I hear this irritating chattering noise almost like the electric auxiliary fan blade is rubbing the shroud or something, but the noise goes right away when the clutch cuts off.

Two questions : 1. Is the recirculating really THAT good to where really cold air can still be had almost an hour after turning off the a/c button? The compressor definitely turns on and off when I hear the chatter cut on and off respectively. and 2. Do your compressors make a little chattering too or is there a chance this guy got a defective one and its starting to sing its death song? As efficient as the a/c works and getting the right mileage numbers still, I'm just a little curious to have such a quiet and smooth running motor with this awkward noise.

Alexlind123
08-06-2006, 02:47 AM
When recirculate is on, the a/c is also on.

PJONG
08-06-2006, 05:49 AM
TWO QUESTIONS:

So if the recirc button turns on the aircon, what is the use for the aircon button (snowflake) button???

What happens if you turn on the aircon button but switch off the recirc???

winfred
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
some year cars the rec button doesn't turn on the ac automaticly, it depends on the knob positions, ac on without the rec brings in outside air, it's one way to slightly warm up the output if you don't want to trim the system with heat, and fresh air is nice also

TWO QUESTIONS:

So if the recirc button turns on the aircon, what is the use for the aircon button (snowflake) button???

What happens if you turn on the aircon button but switch off the recirc???

saj3n
08-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Have you checked the A/C Pulley? I knew mine sounded HORRIBLE! The bearings were forzen due to the dust protector popping off (and becoming lost) in the winter during a belt change. After replacing the pulley, $26 part, silence!

SnakeyesTx
08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
sounds exactly where I should check first.

PJONG
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Does anyone turn off the recirc button or its ok to just leave it on a just turn everything off with the fan level knob? I read it somewhere that e34s were installed with automatic aircons.

joshua43214
08-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Does anyone turn off the recirc button or its ok to just leave it on a just turn everything off with the fan level knob? I read it somewhere that e34s were installed with automatic aircons.

I never use the recirc except on super cold days. On hot days I turn on the AC and open the sunroof.

Leaving the recirc on all the time will eventualy cause mold to build up in the AC box and then the car will stink horribly.

Also using the recirc greatly reduces the effectiveness of defrosting.

saj3n
08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Hmmm interesting facts. I hadn't heard much about this before.