PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Spank an IS300?

Qube
08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
WARNING! DON'T STREET RACE OR THIS COULD BE YOU!

http://www.tremcopoliceproducts.com/crash.jpg

With that out of the way...

What was a boring day ends in a good note. Namely, the engine note of a straight 6 at 5500RPM...

Without doing into too much detail...

=================================================
The Hero:

BMW e34 535iM

Base Price $ 4,000 CAD
Engine Type M30 inline 6-cylinder
Engine Size 3.4 liters / 3430cc
Horsepower 212 @ 5,600 rpm or so... (sharked... and when it was NEW!)
Torque (lb-ft) 225 @ 4,000 rpm
Transmission 5-speed manual
Curb Weight 3,700 lbs. or so
Fuel Requirement unleaded premium, 91 octane
Tires P235/45 ZR17
Brakes, front/rear vented disc Zimmerman/PBR Ceramic, antilock standard
Suspension, front/rear double pivot independent
Drivetrain front engine, rear-wheel drive

The Contender:

2001 Lexus IS300

Base Price $ 45,500 CAD
Engine Type dual overhead cam 24-valve inline 6-cylinder
with VVT-i variable valve timing
Engine Size 3.0 liters / 183 cu. in.
Horsepower 215 @ 5,800 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 218 @ 3,800 rpm
Transmission 5-speed electronically-controlled
automatic with "E-Shift" manual shifting
Curb Weight 3,270 lbs.
Fuel Requirement unleaded premium, 92 octane
Tires P215/45 ZR17
Brakes, front/rear vented disc / solid disc, antilock standard
Suspension, front/rear independent double wishbone /
independent double wishbone
Drivetrain front engine, rear-wheel drive

Rolled up to the stoplight. No one around. Notice a set of HIDs with yellow fogs. A Lexus. Pulls up, eyes the car, thumbs up and revs. Car is lowered, smoked wheels, lip spoiler, skirts. Road is clear. I return growl. Light changes and I drop the clutch at 3k to launch. He takes off, but before two heartbeats, I catch up and pass in 2nd gear. 3rd to 110KPH and slow down as two car lengths ahead and red light ahead (albeit far). No need to push it.

Second light. Thumbs up. It's just three more blocks to my places so I return a growl from the meaty inline 6. This time I rev high and clutch slip. A little tirespin but this time launch nose to nose. I shift as soon as it redlines and inch past him. Near the end of third, I'm about 2-3 car lengths away. I slow down and he barrels past. I turn in to my street and reflect on how overrated the IS300 is. To be honest, there wasn't much of a fight. I expected much more.

The moral of the story?

Michael999
08-05-2006, 11:03 PM
E34 = win

rob101
08-05-2006, 11:16 PM
why bother anyway? i pulled up beside a lancer the other night all riced up..... i remember thinking gee i would like to kill your car but then again.... you probably just make some excuse to save face anyway. so..... why the hell should i flog my car when the oil is not warmed up yet to prove something i already knew and the other guy can never understand.

Its like all the homos in e36 318is' with m3 bodykits and low pro tyres. get bent! your car doesn't even do a sub-9 0-100 kph and plus most of them are probably auto anyway. i just laugh at those idiots.

Jon K
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't have any problem spanking IS300s ;)

ericcamaro
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
jon you dont have much trouble spanikin anything.

Alexlind123
08-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I don't have any problem spanking IS300s ;)

The last picture i saw of your car, it didnt look like it was in a position to race much of anything.

zygoteer
08-06-2006, 05:26 AM
You will never really know if it was the 'car' or the 'driver' you spanked tho !

Most drivers just never really 'run' their car to its capability, as they simply don't know the limits of the car and daren't find out.

pundit
08-06-2006, 05:59 AM
I remember pulling up next to a very clean stock looking 1973 Toyota Corolla about two years back.
It had standard trim, seats, steering wheel etc. but slightly wider steel wheels (about 6") with factory Corolla hubcaps.
However I detected the low rump, pump, pump of a well muffled V8.
At first I simply didn't realise it was eminating from the Corolla until we both arrived at the next set of lights.

I waved at the guy who was about 40 with a Ned Kelly style beard.
I asked him what was it in.
"A 'warm' 302 Windsor" he said.
He drove off very sedately.
THAT was the ulitmate sleeper I thought. :)

Thou who messed with him in anger would have wound up looking like a real pussy as they disappeared in his rearview mirror! :D

CharlesAFerg
08-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Somebody tried to race me just two days ago in fact (I didn't even try) in a 01-ish VW wagon. It was a little beat up.

It had a turbo or something. Mabe more.

I've never seen something fly that fast.
Seriously, in Beaverton OR it's a silver 01-ish VW wagon with no bumpers at all... Look for him, it's ****ing crazy fast as hell.
No joke.
Drove like a moron though, faster than hell in the shrotest time!
God DAYM.
-Charles

liquidtiger720
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I think civics are faster than my car....it's soo heavy =x and slow :(.

Qube
08-06-2006, 10:51 AM
You will never really know if it was the 'car' or the 'driver' you spanked tho !

Most drivers just never really 'run' their car to its capability, as they simply don't know the limits of the car and daren't find out.

Given it's an IS, there really isn't much for him to do other than floor it... except maybe a neutral drop.

540ii
08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
my friend has a civic with a Type R engine and I dust him all the time in my e34 540/6

Alexlind123
08-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Given it's an IS, there really isn't much for him to do other than floor it... except maybe a neutral drop.

What about holding the car back with the brakes while revving it up to get more launch?

Qube
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
my friend has a civic with a Type R engine and I dust him all the time in my e34 540/6

By 'dust', I take it after a hundred feet. There's no way you'd take him off the line. Those little bangers rev to 8000 and sound like a grenade going off. Of course once you're into your power range in second to third, you eat him up.

saj3n
08-06-2006, 04:02 PM
The main reason i'm skeptical about finishing my sound system... that extra 100-150 lbs in the trunk my slow me down a bit. :(

Just incase I ever wanted to test the IS :-P

Jeff N.
08-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Somebody tried to race me just two days ago in fact (I didn't even try) in a 01-ish VW wagon. It was a little beat up.

Seriously, in Beaverton OR it's a silver 01-ish VW wagon with no bumpers at all... Look for him, it's ****ing crazy fast as hell.
No joke.
God DAYM.
-Charles

Zeuk in Oz
08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Guys, Guys, Guys.
Shame on you all.
We already drive the best, nicest car in the world - why bother trying to prove it ?
The fact that these much younger cars want to race us actually proves the point for us.
Do what the fellow with the V8 Corolla did - give off all the signs that you are willing to race and then saunter off the line letting the other driver make a fool of himself - nothing could be more embarrassing.
Driving the ultimate Q car has its advantages. :)

Qube
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Guys, Guys, Guys.
Shame on you all.
We already drive the best, nicest car in the world - why bother trying to prove it ?
The fact that these much younger cars want to race us actually proves the point for us.
Do what the fellow with the V8 Corolla did - give off all the signs that you are willing to race and then saunter off the line letting the other driver make a fool of himself - nothing could be more embarrassing.
Driving the ultimate Q car has its advantages. :)

Heh. Good point. I was always disillusioned that the IS300 was something else. This shatters that conception.

ILoveMPower
08-07-2006, 08:01 AM

No joke.
God DAYM.
-Charles

I'd say probably a GTi (golf) with the 1.8T, with a few simple mods you can come damn near 300whp, with a turbo upgrade, EASILY 300+

I don't know why you guys bother with the stoplight races... I just follow 'em until they hop on the highway, then they get to see what 3rd gear is like ;)

Jon K
08-07-2006, 08:04 AM
I'd say probably a GTi (golf) with the 1.8T, with a few simple mods you can come damn near 300whp, with a turbo upgrade, EASILY 300+

I don't know why you guys bother with the stoplight races... I just follow 'em until they hop on the highway, then they get to see what 3rd gear is like ;)

Not even close - a 1.8T 20v with front mount, chip (raised boost), intake, exhaust doesn't even dyno 235 - 240. 300 is a wish in the wind. Even when you upgrade from the K03 turbo to a K04 you won't see 300. You'd need to go to a T3/T4 with high boost to see that and by time you get that horsepower the car burns down.

ILoveMPower
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Not even close - a 1.8T 20v with front mount, chip (raised boost), intake, exhaust doesn't even dyno 235 - 240. 300 is a wish in the wind. Even when you upgrade from the K03 turbo to a K04 you won't see 300. You'd need to go to a T3/T4 with high boost to see that and by time you get that horsepower the car burns down.

You're totally incorrect here, I've got two friends with k04's pushing 300+ whp... two more running stock turbo putting down ~260, and ~280 (whp)

(these are all daily drivers)

Sorry for bumping old topic but Qube brought this to my attention in another thread