PDA

View Full Version : Re align the steering wheel with airbag

Exnilo
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Ok I have a 92 525i with steering wheel mounted airbag. How do i remove the wheel to realign it as it is off center by a few degrees? Thanks for the help!

zygoteer
08-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Misalignment of the steering wheel is usually down to the wheel alignment (toe-in) being adjusted at the tie-rods more on one side than the other (the steering gear is supposed to be centralised before equally adjusting both the tie-rods, but very few mechanics do it that way - most are too lazy to go from side to side until its correct)

So I wouldn't alter the steering wheel at all ... just re-adjust the tie-rods to centralise the wheel AND get the correct alignment.

Chris'91'525i
08-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Misalignment of the steering wheel is usually down to the wheel alignment (toe-in) being adjusted at the tie-rods more on one side than the other (the steering gear is supposed to be centralised before equally adjusting both the tie-rods, but very few mechanics do it that way - most are too lazy to go from side to side until its correct)

So I wouldn't alter the steering wheel at all ... just re-adjust the tie-rods to centralise the wheel AND get the correct alignment.

Yep thats the way to go .... Ask for a "Thrust alignment", if they know what there doing, they will understand. .
At least that's what we used to call that type of alignment.