PDA

View Full Version : big future tranny problem $$$

BMW4ever
08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi all,

first of all, i want to thank for all of you people on this forum :D . i learned a lot from you guys (jon k, 632 regal, scott, shogun, et, al) and gals (gayle et, al). i don't post that much, but i visit this forum regularly to learn more about my 1992 525i. my mechanic (honest and dependable) noticed my tranny was leaking fluid from above :( . he mentioned that he would try to fix it with a repair kit from the dealer. if it's still leaking, he said that the tranny ($2000+, rebuilt, from dealer, he only use parts from dealers) would have to be replaced unless he could find a part (seal) he was mentioning it to me today :( . i checked with kelly blue book my car is valued at $4500 at 150k miles on it. to be honest, i would rather drive my bmw e34 with a leaky transmission and would just check and add the fluid regularly than sell my car and get a newer japanese or domestic car (no offense) unless i can afford the e39. does anyone here have encountered this tranny problem? also, i can't help, but notice a lot of people here live in so-cal area. i also live in so-cal area. comments? suggestions? opinion?

Bimminator
08-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

first of all, i want to thank for all of you people on this forum :D . i learned a lot from you guys (jon k, 632 regal, scott, shogun, et, al) and gals (gayle et, al). i don't post that much, but i visit this forum regularly to learn more about my 1992 525i. my mechanic (honest and dependable) noticed my tranny was leaking fluid from above :( . he mentioned that he would try to fix it with a repair kit from the dealer. if it's still leaking, he said that the tranny ($2000+, rebuilt, from dealer, he only use parts from dealers) would have to be replaced unless he could find a part (seal) he was mentioning it to me today :( . i checked with kelly blue book my car is valued at $4500 at 150k miles on it. to be honest, i would rather drive my bmw e34 with a leaky transmission and would just check and add the fluid regularly than sell my car and get a newer japanese or domestic car (no offense) unless i can afford the e39. does anyone here have encountered this tranny problem? also, i can't help, but notice a lot of people here live in so-cal area. i also live in so-cal area. comments? suggestions? opinion?
I ended up having to replace my tranny last year. I was having problems getting it to shift past 3rd and it would sometimes not shift into reverse. I brought it to a tranny shop and they suspected that it was likely a seal inside the tranny. Long story short, was going to cost approx. $1500 to tear apart and inspect then up to another $1500-$2000 to rebuild! This was not in the budget at the time for me so I was able to find a working tranny, pulled from a doner car for $400 and had my Indy instal that. He obviously wasn't willing to waranty the work but it was a chance I had to take at the time as I was heading back to school for 10 months and was going to be with out an income. If I had the same choice to make now, I would go for the rebuild if I could get it all done, part and instal for $2500 total! Having said that, my tranny has been working fine with no problems. If this is all that is wrong with your car and there are no other costly repairs and up grades you are saving for, go for the rebuild if you can afford it. Your other option is to look for a reliable salvaged unit and save over half the money!

Good luck, let us know what happens!

Shawn

KenB
08-05-2006, 11:14 AM
If your car is otherwise sound and you can afford it, go with the dealer tranny. Anyone will "rebuild" it for $2k but the dealer is a factory rebuild for a few hundred more and warrantied for 24,000 miles, I beleive.

I have tried them all, repairs, rebuilds, salvaged, etc. even the factory rebuilt crapped after 20k but they replaced it free of charge, not even a charge for labor. It is why I drive manual trannys now. I'm too hard on them automatic pocket emptyers...;)

BMW4ever
08-05-2006, 05:55 PM
thank you guys for sharing your experiences and input. i'll see what happens when i have to drop-off my car on monday for inspection, oil change, rear exhaust replacement (yes, it will be replaced with stock exhaust...love the stock engine sound of bmws...don't wanna sound like a "rice rocket"), and tranny repair. if the tranny is still leaking fluids after the repair, i have no other choice:( ; but to continue driving it until i can afford the rebuilt tranny from the dealer...or try to score a 2000 e39:D