PDA

View Full Version : Initialising Key

weiss_535is
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi all, sorry if this may have been covered somewhere/somehow, but all my searching just turned up newer model remote keys (with chip). I have a 1989 535is the previous owner had lost the remote key when I bought the car years ago so I decided to obtain a new one. The key is supposed to be initialised when the ignition is put to position 1 or 2.. cant remember, then hold down one of the buttons on the key and face it directly onto the led that is situated on the top vent on the dash. The LED on my key flashes for a few seconds then stops (as apparently its supposed to when its initialised), but then nothing works, no locking/unlocking, just appears dead. This has been something that has annoyed me for over two years now, but just thought one of you guys may have a clue as to whats going on, as I said earlier I can only ever find reference to the key/fob with the chip which can be programmed in which my car does not have... Thanks guys:) I also forgot to mention I have2 the rather large flip key with the one large button on top (with two arrows up and down) and one square button on the side..

saj3n
08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I know what you are talking about, the method it states to recode the remote by holding it down near the front of the vehicle and what not, but would you happen to have a picture of the remote? I know with mine, I actually had to remove the chip within the remote, and place inside the keyless entry/alarm module underneath the rear seat of the car, with key in ON position for 10-15 secones (method done many times), in order for my remote to work.

weiss_535is
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I have been told by service centre that the older cars like mine do not have the chip? Maybe I have been incorrectly advised...