PDA

View Full Version : OT fruit vs vegatable

632 Regal
08-03-2006, 05:58 PM
whats the scientific rule on this such as a tomato is a fruit and not a vegatable.

either it was seed available or growing under the ground, i dont remember.

anyways its a debate I would like a solid answer for my son.

(his questions are beyond my answers recently)

Macv
08-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Its a fruit.

angrypancake
08-03-2006, 06:12 PM
you're a fruit.

Yiorgos
08-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable

Apparently, vegetable isn't even a scientific term!

HDhandyman
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Actually, I have an answer for you, working as a professional Chef for over 10 years before I started my business.

While most of the public refers to Tomato as fruit out of a fascination with seeding of fruit, novelty, etc., it is in fact a vegetable. Scientificlly, the tomato is a fruit, but the Tomato was ruled a "vegetable" by the United States Supreme Court in 1893 after a subsequent ruling that the Tomato was a vegetable by the United European Culinary Federation in 1876 (which is all that's really important for a Chef because this was the heart of early Scientific Culinary developement).

It's in the second chapter of any first year culinary student's text book at the Culinary Institute of America..."The New Professional Chef". I'm looking over Edition 6 right now.

DaveVoorhis
08-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Science and culinary whatnot bedamned! If you'd put it on breakfast cereal, it's a fruit. Otherwise, vegetable. You'd have to be nucking futs to put tomatoes on cornflakes.

632 Regal
08-04-2006, 09:07 AM
lol, I guess there really isnt an answer with vegetables being vegetables deemed by culinary and not science...my kid wins again as I cant really answer him.

Science and culinary whatnot bedamned! If you'd put it on breakfast cereal, it's a fruit. Otherwise, vegetable. You'd have to be nucking futs to put tomatoes on cornflakes.