PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Kill switch recommendation

Qube
08-02-2006, 02:52 PM
When I bought the car, I noticed there was a on/off switch in an interesting location in the car. It was obviously aftermarket, and doesn't do ejector seat, NOS or anything. I traced it and it's not hooked up. The switch is in the drivers (left) side. I'd like to hook it up as a kill switch of sorts... perhaps the fuel pump? What's the easiest to connect it to and most effective, given it's position to the left side of the driver? The operative word probably being easy... not having to run wires through the firewall or anything :)

GoldenOne
08-02-2006, 03:02 PM
hmm...if nobody knows about it you could maybe hook it up to ignition...the button must be switched on in order start the car...useful if you get carjacked (knock on wood) turn off the switch as you get pulled out the car lol...or if it sits in a lot, perhaps longterm airport parking lot...etc etc

Macv
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea.

HDhandyman
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
dude, that's a great idea! I'd have to say that idea is "Golden"!

Qube
08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Ignition 'may' be a little too easy. Anyway... this means I'll have to deduce what wire it is going from the steering column through the firewall right? I already CODE everytime I park :)

BillionPa
08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
my CRAZY... (well maybe not crazy, but its implementation is) idea was as following.

the kill switch simultaneously kills power to both the fuel pump and DME relays, and disables the wire going to position 4 in the ignition.

the wiring would have to be VERY discreet and stock looking, hidden away in line with the stock wiring harness, and the switch would have to be in an uncommon location, perhaps under a piece of carpeting with a little plastic cover on it somewhere, or behind the brake pedal O_o

for YOUR application however, the starter position wire would probably be the best option, since its RIGHT THERE and all you need to do is splice a single wire, done.

That would only protect the car against someone who has the key and the car is off, you could wire a reverse momentary switch right next to it to disengage the run position wire and kill the car during a carjacking by hitting them both... the thief would have no idea wtf is going on.

Qube
08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Starter position wire... I'll dig in the Bentley, but is it a standard color and location for this?

Alexlind123
08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I think the CODE shuts off the fuel pump...

Macv
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I think the CODE shuts off the fuel pump...

I'm pretty sure about that as well.

Qube
08-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure about that as well.

Granted, CODE can be bypassed with a little bit of time. With a kill switch, they'll have to find the break... so it's not common knowledge :)

BillionPa
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
hmmm, take a pic of that switch, it may be something i recognise.

Qube
08-03-2006, 06:50 AM
I'm 100% sure it's not standard given it's location :)

BillionPa
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
what i mean is, it could be wired to a particular non standard device already, unless you already found the end of the wiring coming from it.

Qube
08-03-2006, 07:53 PM
what i mean is, it could be wired to a particular non standard device already, unless you already found the end of the wiring coming from it.

Oh I've already found that it goes nowhere. From what I gather... it may have been hooked up to the 'old' alarm system in some way.

Robert K
08-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I've already installed a shutoff switch like you're describing. I'm not exactly going to say where it's located, but I cut the wire that powers the fuel pump and put the switch in line. This wire is located under the rear seat. Once you pull the rear seat up, it's under a plastic harness there. I don't recall the colors of the wire, but a wiring diagram will show them. To be frank, I rarely use it. However, I also live in a town of 30,000 in Kentucky and car theft really isn't an issue here. However, sometimes when I go to larger cities nearby, I will use it. Installing such a switch pretty much guarantees that even a professional car thief isn't going to get away with you car unless he uses a tow truck or flatbed. And by the way, cutting the power to the fuel pump is very effective at disabling the car. I can assure you that it doesn't run for more than a few seconds with no pressure. I know that from forgetting that I've flipped the switch a few times. Of course you get very, very concerned about your engine problem until you remember the switch.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

saj3n
08-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Little bit of time = 15+ minutes with key in on position with alarm running in order to reset code?

or is there another common method to which this is bypassed?