PDA

View Full Version : That M60 oil pump issue

Jehu
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I searched the archives but may have missed if the consensus was its smart to buy replacement bolt and nuts when you buy the gasket if you're going to drop the pan to inspect. If they are lose or out , new parts may remain in place longer than reused old parts and NO Loctight.

bbig119
08-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I searched the archives but may have missed if the consensus was its smart to buy replacement bolt and nuts when you buy the gasket if you're going to drop the pan to inspect. If they are lose or out , new parts may remain in place longer than reused old parts and NO Loctight.

I see no need to buy new bolts. I will say this though, one of the bolts that holds the oil pump together was bent ever so slightly such that it didn't want to screw in properly. I went to a $tealer and they didn't have any to give me and sent me to a hardware store. I managed to find bolts that could have been made to work-- ie, cut shorter, had enough threads. In the end we managed to straighten the bolt enough that it was happy threading in. I'd say use what you have because it might be difficult to find an exact replacement, and why would you want to use anything but OEM unless you are forced to.

fkong777
08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Will this issue apply to alusil motors?

Jehu
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM

From what i've read, absolutely yes. I have an Alusil block too so i'm having it checked before i drive it again.

dt8068
08-02-2006, 06:11 PM
My block was also replaced to alusil and when I recently checked the bolts one of the pump mounting bolts was laying in the pan along with two bolts that hold the pump together. others were also loose, so check them if you have not already

winfred
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
all m60 and m62 i've seen have the same shitty pump that pukes it's bolts

BillionPa
08-02-2006, 11:24 PM
the bolt, not required to replace, just use new threadlock after cleaning..

the nuts, replace, they are self locking deformable (the new ones anyway)

the nuts that came off my old pump were different than the new ones, and the new ones seem to be a lot more secure.

what you are supposed to replace that nobody ever does is the 3 o-rings that go on the oil tubes to the pumo.

Jehu
08-03-2006, 12:05 AM
the bolt, not required to replace, just use new threadlock after cleaning..

the nuts, replace, they are self locking deformable (the new ones anyway)

the nuts that came off my old pump were different than the new ones, and the new ones seem to be a lot more secure.

what you are supposed to replace that nobody ever does is the 3 o-rings that go on the oil tubes to the pumo.

Some say NUtlock, threadlock or whatever you might choose is not adviseable in case some were to get into the oil thus into the engine.Not sure if there isn't soem kind of self locking washer you could use that wouldn't impede sealing.

BillionPa
08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
well, the new OEM bolt has threadlock on it from the factory, so they arent worried. and the small amound that could come out in solid form would be picked out by the oil filter.

you need to let it dry, thats the important part.