PDA

View Full Version : LOW (or no!) dust rear-brake combo.....

MO525
04-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Here is a rather unorthodox combination of parts I used to service my '93 525i:

AC/Delco No. 17D396M Brake Pad Kit Excellent fit
Raybestos No. 96490 Rotor Excellent fit Made in USA
Permatex Caliper Lube No. 20356

Why did I use them?
Well, my father is retired and works part-time at THE largest auto parts warehouse in the metro area.
He insisted I use their products.
Discount? Bring it on!

Yes, I was leary but my worrying was for naught.

Everything fit perfectly.
NO squeaks/noises.
After over 1000 miles, I've seen no brake dust on the wheels, just road filth!!!!

I'm ecstatic.

Thought I'd pass that along.

Chris M
04-04-2004, 10:50 PM
I had some brake squeal at both ends and replaced all four pads the Raybestos pads from Autozone during the winter. I did this thinking I would change them out in the spring for some Pagids or someting a little higher quality. The Raybestos pads have very little dust compared to the stock pads and stop well enough for normal street use.

Anton CH.
04-05-2004, 02:19 AM
I have PBR deluxe with ATE rotors on the front and stock pads/rotors in the rear. I would definetly have to say that I get a lot less dust in the front than the back. No squeels either. The stopping power did decrease though.

Did you notice any reduction of stopping power with your combination?

MO525
04-05-2004, 05:57 AM
I have PBR deluxe with ATE rotors on the front and stock pads/rotors in the rear. I would definetly have to say that I get a lot less dust in the front than the back. No squeels either. The stopping power did decrease though.

Did you notice any reduction of stopping power with your combination?

It's really hard to tell if I lost any braking power.
It still stops just fine.
My wife and I are not aggressive drivers and she has no complaints. :)

I'll probably do the fronts in the near future.
They're not "bad", I'd just like them to be 100%, as the rear is now.

I'm just thrilled with the lack of dust, in comparison to my front brakes (they're VERY Dusty).

TimGinCentralNJ
04-05-2004, 07:50 AM
I mean, fronts--sure, but the rears? The dustiest pads I've ever come across were the OEM pads which orig came on my E34. I could details the wheels, then drive 35 mph down the street to the local deli, and the front's would be covered with a fine layer of dust by the time I got home. Backs would stay clean for weeks.

Since the rear brakes are only used for approx 30% (c'mon gurus...keep me honest, here) of your car's stopping power, me thinks your best test would be to replace the fronts, THEN make your decision. Just my $.02.

Still good info to know - thanks for sharing.

Rgds,
Tim G.
'91 535iM

It's really hard to tell if I lost any braking power.
It still stops just fine.
My wife and I are not aggressive drivers and she has no complaints. :)

I'll probably do the fronts in the near future.
They're not "bad", I'd just like them to be 100%, as the rear is now.

I'm just thrilled with the lack of dust, in comparison to my front brakes (they're VERY Dusty).

MO525
04-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I mean, fronts--sure, but the rears? The dustiest pads I've ever come across were the OEM pads which orig came on my E34. I could details the wheels, then drive 35 mph down the street to the local deli, and the front's would be covered with a fine layer of dust by the time I got home. Backs would stay clean for weeks.

Since the rear brakes are only used for approx 30% (c'mon gurus...keep me honest, here) of your car's stopping power, me thinks your best test would be to replace the fronts, THEN make your decision. Just my $.02.

Still good info to know - thanks for sharing.

Rgds,
Tim G.
'91 535iM

I was just commenting on the world of improvement over my old pads, they were pooped.
The old rears dusted as bad or worse than the fronts.

I can't wait to do the fronts and eliminate the dusting.

I've got 'er all polished up right now in the garage....Ahh....
Clean wheels as well. :)