PDA

View Full Version : burnt transmission...

kurt-o
08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
So last week my 1994 540i started a suspicious leak from the back of the engine. I asked around town what that could possibly be and the concensus opinion was that it was the reservoir that was possibly leaking.

I went along with that and made an appointment to bring my car in to have this checked, the next available appointment was saturday. I thought I was cool. Well friday comes along and the transmission is acting crazy. Like it had a delayed reaction into dropping into gear from a light. On the following Saturday when I get in the car to take it to the local shop, the car behaved crazy.

Put in reverse it was fine, in neutral it still rolled backwards, in Drive it was a struggle to move forward as if the parking brake was on. I immediately shut it down after I felt the issue in drive and called a wrecker service.

So today I get the call I was dreading. The coolant leak was from the transmission cooler and the resultant damage caused 2nd gear to fuse it self to the clutch and reverse.

The bill to fix $3k

I'm torn on this... I've spent a lot on getting this car in shape since acquiring it last year.

Front Suspension Rebuild
Alternator / Battery (what i thought was a fusible link issue was the battery exploded)
Both Water Pumps
New 17inch Rims / Tires

http://gallery2.qsaf.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3983&g2_serialNumber=2

Biggest problem is, I owe a good deal on the car too.

So what's the avg. price on a used tranny for a 540i? Should I spend the 3k to get it fixed?

saj3n
08-01-2006, 08:50 PM
IMO, 3k is alot to have it fixed... is this a replacement new trans or are they rebuilding the trans?

SnakeyesTx
08-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Try to find one on car-part.com or ask around to see if anyone here is parting one out!

kurt-o
08-02-2006, 12:45 AM
IMO, 3k is alot to have it fixed... is this a replacement new trans or are they rebuilding the trans?

That 3k price is for rebuilding mine...

thanks for the car-part.com recommendation guys.. those prices for the tranny look reasonable..