PDA

View Full Version : "COOLANT" on message center

hlenoble
08-01-2006, 06:49 PM
My 1990 535i was leaking coolant from the water pump gasket, so I had the water pump replaced. At the same time I had a new radiator put in as the old one was weeping a little from some of the seams. The system has been filled and pressure tested and there are no leaks, but the message center still flashes "COOLANT" when I start (and turn off) the car.

I'm sure that the sensor could be bad, but is it possible that there is air in the system? If so how would I bleed the air out? Finally, is there anything else I should be considering or looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DaveVoorhis
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I assume you mean "COOLANT LEVEL," yes? Have you checked to make sure the coolant level sensor lead is connected? When the radiator was replaced, the tech might have forgotten to reconnect it. If it is connected, try cleaning the connector contacts. Also, the sensor is a bit delicate. If it isn't carefully removed from the old radiator, it's easy to rip the float off which renders it useless.

hlenoble
08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I assume you mean "COOLANT LEVEL," yes? Have you checked to make sure the coolant level sensor lead is connected? When the radiator was replaced, the tech might have forgotten to reconnect it. If it is connected, try cleaning the connector contacts. Also, the sensor is a bit delicate. If it isn't carefully removed from the old radiator, it's easy to rip the float off which renders it useless.

Yes, sorry, the display reads "COOLANT LEVEL" But, the message cleared today, so I am back to assuming it was air in the system. It is still possible of course, that a sensor is intermittent, but for now it's working. Thanks for your help.