PDA

View Full Version : Bill, Winfred, or anyone that works in a shop - its legal to vent R12?

DanDombrowski
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I was in an unnamed shop getting the AC in my volvo converted to R134 these past few days. The whole reason I went to the shop rather than do the work myself is because I felt bad about venting the old R12 to the atmosphere.

Much to my surprise, I see the the tech just crack the line and let the gas out. I asked why they did this, and their answer was that the EPA now allows shops to vent R12 on the premise that there are so few R12 cars on the road (and the ones that are leak alot) that its better to just convert them cheaply.

Any truth to this? I've chosen not to name the shop (yet) until I find out if this answer was true or not.

brosher
08-01-2006, 02:39 PM
hmmm, is that why it's so hot today?

I don't think its legal and is very bad for the environment.

EDIT Link: http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/index.html

EDIT AGAIN: And here's the meat I believe:

http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/caa609.txt

granit_silber
08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Dan,

To my knowledge it is illegal to vent R12 in all 50 US states. Looking over the environmental impacts, that stuff can sell for over $100 a pound. the shop was stupid to vent it on multiple levels. When I got my car converted 2 months ago the shop captured the R12 in my system and gave me a huge discount on the total cost of the job.

-ashley

ryan roopnarine
08-01-2006, 07:24 PM
you aren't even supposed to vent r134a to the atmosphere. it sounds like (your guy)has a rationalization in mind as to why he can do it, and since no one ever--usually--calls him on it, presented you with his reasoning as to why its OK.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
pass the sunblock.

DanQ
08-01-2006, 07:53 PM
It's illegal to vent R12. The proper procedure is to reclaim the refrigerant and turn it over to be recycled.

The technician should have a license from the EPA to handle R12. Based on the techs knowledge or lack of caring, i'd bet he doesn't have one and could face fines for mishandling R12.

GoldenOne
08-01-2006, 07:57 PM
well there you have it...it is illegal to vent r12

sounds like that shop could be in a lot of trouble if they were videotaped...

winfred
08-01-2006, 09:17 PM
not legal or financially sound, a full load of r12 can be worth a couple hundred bucks, if nothing else recover it and sell it back to them, if you are a shop a machine pays for itself quickly

DanDombrowski
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I know! What gives?

I called like 3 AC shops in the area before I went to these guys to see if they would pay me for the R12, or at least do it for free. They all laughed at me and said they were gonna bill me like $80 just to evac the R12.

I shoulda gotten cash money for that stuff. Oh well, lesson learned, and hopefully in the future I can do my part to save the earth a little better.

tim s
08-01-2006, 11:24 PM
i needed a full charge in my e30 & my mech said the price was that close it did not make sense to convert it to 134a.
tim s.

winfred
08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
it's coming down due to the fact that not many cars are running it, not been factory installed since around 94, most cars work fine on it too as long as they have good airflow through the condenser

i needed a full charge in my e30 & my mech said the price was that close it did not make sense to convert it to 134a.
tim s.