PDA

View Full Version : e34 M60 Oil Pump - WATCH OUT!

euaniebabs
08-01-2006, 02:32 AM
I am sure this has been preached before...but it is REALLY putting your precious engine at risk.

If you have a M60 V8, get your sump pan off and check your oil pump. A new gasket from BMW is about £16.

Mine had lost the fixing bolt and one location bolt and was relying on the chain tension to hold it on...

Since refitting with threadlock, the occasional 'clack, clack' noise has gone when stopping the engine.

Ignore what it says in the manual about removing the dipstick guide tube, just clean it all off and remove all the mounting screws (having drained the oil first!)

Well worth the 2 hours it took! :)

winfred
08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
not only do the pumps fall off they come apart too

632 Regal
08-01-2006, 08:58 AM
one of my bolts wore a groove in the pan where it was cruising around.

dbals
08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Ok I guess Im a newbie on this one. I have a M60 and this is the first Ive heard about this oil pump. Can you guys give me some more information? Where is it? What do I need to do to check it?
thx

632 Regal
08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
bookmark this link!
http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/si.html

now do a search, this is covered in every aspect over and over.

Ok I guess Im a newbie on this one. I have a M60 and this is the first Ive heard about this oil pump. Can you guys give me some more information? Where is it? What do I need to do to check it?
thx

dbals
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
bookmark this link!
http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e34/si.html

now do a search, this is covered in every aspect over and over.

thanks for the info....bitch of it is I just changed my oil this weekend.....could of checked it then. I'll put it on the maintenace list.

632 Regal
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
drain it into a clean bucket, its not a big job to do and probably better that you do it sooner than later. make sure you spray starting fluid or whatever in the holes and the nuts so the loctite sticks. also plan on tightening the chain while your there.

bbig119
08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I had 9 bolts out-- most of them were holding the pump together, and a couple holding it to the block.

Here's a link (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22575) to the thread with some pictures of what was laying in the pan.

saluki540i
08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Glad I checked mine too - they were on their way, made me feel good too as I could clearly see all the crosshatching in the cylinders - almost no visible wear. Excellleeennnt...

winfred
08-01-2006, 09:22 PM
i've only seen a couple bimmer motors that didn't still have crosshatching, even after 300k miles it's still there, that ones that didn't were driven till they wouldn't move any more with NO coolent

Glad I checked mine too - they were on their way, made me feel good too as I could clearly see all the crosshatching in the cylinders - almost no visible wear. Excellleeennnt...

95-540iLE
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Had mine checked about a month ago with 112,000kms. All tight and no sign of any movement. Just lucky I guess.