PDA

View Full Version : Headlights + left turn signal = high beams?!

blee
07-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey all,

My first post here. I just purchased a very nice 1992 525i 5-speed. While driving it home, I noticed an odd electrical quirk. With the headlights on, the left turn signal will also turn on the high beams. This does NOT happen when the signal is simple pressed down, as if I were going to change lanes. It doesn't happen at all while signaling right.

Has anyone seen this before?

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 09:06 PM
push and pull is highbeam on or high beem on as long as you hold it. read the user manual, tons of cool options.

blee
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
push and pull is highbeam on or high beem on as long as you hold it. read the user manual, tons of cool options.

I'm aware of that. But the high beams come on whenever I signal to make a left turn. That can't be right!

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-31-2006, 09:27 PM
looks like you'll need to do some exploratory surgery.

Just remember to on hook the battery before removing the steering wheel.

KenB
07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
My e28 did the same thing. When headlights were on and left turn signal was used, as I turned the wheel, the stalk would physically move forward into the highbeam position. A real pain, it seemed to be worse in cold weather. I was told I'd have to replace the stalk as it wasn't an electrical short but a mechanical problem as the mechanism was worn. It was very expensive...I never did fix it, traded it in on the e34.