PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust mounting ring

Macv
07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
I need/have a new rubber mounting ring for the rear of my exhaust, part number 15 below....

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/p/226.png

What are the precautions to switching these? Is it possible to do it without taking off my exhaust. Looks easy to me, but I haven't actually took the time to really LOOK at it.

Any info on how to replace this part will be helpfull.

-Mac

yaofeng
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
You need to lower the muffler. You can't even stick your hands in without lowering it. You may even have to lower the mid-section rubber hangers too.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
fu_k dude! I had to remove the whole rear bumper to have enough access, lowering the muffler will NOT help. you need access to the side so you can stretch the bastard on there. no way around it, if there is and you do this please make sure I see how. I spent over an hour trying all the suggestions that I found in search and they didnt work. pm me the answer not that I intend on doing this in the next 12 years but curious.

yaofeng
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Either that or remove the complete exhaust which was what I happened to do. I removed the exhaust to make preparation for the drive train removal. And this applies to both the 525 and 540.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM
you cannot acces that side to get the ring on man! theres 3 inches you can access and thats from the wheel well after removing the plastic access panel, one hand is all you can use.

Either that or remove the complete exhaust which was what I happened to do. I removed the exhaust to make preparation for the drive train removal. And this applies to both the 525 and 540.

yaofeng
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Your hand maybe so big you need to remove the bumper or whatever to do it. I doubt it is the case. Maybe my 525 and 540 are built different than yours.

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't know what happened for the rest of the gang. I must have been lucky.

But I just used a floor jack to raise the exhaust up into the cavity to un load the rings, un bolt the clips 12-14, slip the ring off the top hook, pull out the old ring#15 and bottom hook/clip 13-14 out.

Put slip the new ring on the top hook and then hook on the bottom/hook cilp and bolt it to the exhaust.

You can also adjust the placement of 12-14 to even out the exhaust so it dosen't look cockeyed.

genphreak
07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
you cannot acces that side to get the ring on man! theres 3 inches you can access and thats from the wheel well after removing the plastic access panel, one hand is all you can use.**What** is the big deal Jeff?

R u guys taling about item 10 or 15?

Item 15 (rear one) is easy to remove if you take off the bumper or the exhaust. The bracket it attaches to holds the muffler on its side lip/case seam. You undo the nut and it moves sideways to all the muffler to drop. If its rusted it might be troublesome...

Item 10 is hard to do adn you have to jack the car up to get underneath and use some muscle- but one must be careful not to rip it. I have spares of both:) nick

Macv
07-31-2006, 08:13 PM
OK, I've done it and it was simple, just like Blitzkrieg said, I took pictures of the procedure, I'll post them on here tomorrow when I get around to it. I think you were thinking about part 10 Jeff, unless our cars are that much different. Are your clips and mounts on the left side of your muffler maybe?

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
just jack the exhaust up at the flange and slip it off, then the new one on.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 08:59 PM
#16 on mine, definetly wasnt plug n play. the rubber was too firm to slip onto both brackets at once. maybe im just gifted.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/p/223.png

Blitzkrieg Bob
07-31-2006, 09:11 PM
to my place, and I'll change 'em for a few beers.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 09:21 PM
im gettin pretty good with thrust arms, maybe trade jobs?

to my place, and I'll change 'em for a few beers.

HDhandyman
07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
im gettin pretty good with thrust arms, maybe trade jobs?

LOL