PDA

View Full Version : Check-Control warning on dash (Long)

James
04-04-2004, 12:13 PM
What does Check-Control mean, I didn't find it in the manual, although i didnt look very hard. my dash will occasionaly warn me of things that aren't broken. here are some of the messages that come up, liscence plate light, brake light, Stop! TireFailure, Tire Press, and SuspnLevlng. It still detects things that are broken also though. Also sometimes it will take some Some before Every thing in my instrument cluster starts working, meaning all the gauges are dead, After 5-10 minutes Everything will come to life In a barrage of warnings and chimes. Also sometimes that damn chime will stay on when I first start my car, It only ceases when I press the brake peddle. weird sh*t. I am convinced by obc has lost its marbles, but I need a seconed opinion. Any advice is always appreciated. Later
James
89 525i 287K miles

Warren N.CA
04-04-2004, 12:53 PM
oxidized connector terminals on the back of the cluster and possibly failure of electrolytic capacitors in the cluster. The connectors can be cleaned simply by removing and replacing them. Do each several times. Then apply Stabilant 22. http://www.stabilant.com

The capacitor replacement is described here http://www.bmwe34.net .

What does Check-Control mean, I didn't find it in the manual, although i didnt look very hard. my dash will occasionaly warn me of things that aren't broken. here are some of the messages that come up, liscence plate light, brake light, Stop! TireFailure, Tire Press, and SuspnLevlng. It still detects things that are broken also though. Also sometimes it will take some Some before Every thing in my instrument cluster starts working, meaning all the gauges are dead, After 5-10 minutes Everything will come to life In a barrage of warnings and chimes. Also sometimes that damn chime will stay on when I first start my car, It only ceases when I press the brake peddle. weird sh*t. I am convinced by obc has lost its marbles, but I need a seconed opinion. Any advice is always appreciated. Later
James
89 525i 287K miles

Javier
04-04-2004, 01:03 PM
procedure to the Check Control Module (CCM) and the Light control module (LKM) just besides the fues block at the engine compartment.

James
04-05-2004, 01:07 AM
where can I get capacitators?

Javier
04-05-2004, 01:41 PM
http://www.digikey.com/

I would switch electrolytic capacitors to equivalent Tantalum capacitors (Should have same (or slightly more) capacity (Micro farads) and same or more voltage withstanding. Tantalum capacitors are more stable over the time than electrolytic.

Javier
04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
nt

Unregistered
04-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Also sometimes that damn chime will stay on when I first start my car, It only ceases when I press the brake peddle. weird sh*t.
Dear James, hope you got the caps changed and solved all this. I have exactly the same thing, only the chime stays on all the time!
Swaped to another cluster fixed all.
As I have to give the temp cluster back I will be heating up the old iron to change the caps tomorrow.
Hope this answers you question.