PDA

View Full Version : what could it be? pls help!!!

ahsanz
07-31-2006, 06:47 AM
hi there,
Nearly 2 months ago i bought a '91 535i. it was juz fine until recently its being pain in the a**. Firstly, it started with the rpm n gear shifting. The problem is that if i smoothly accelarate the gear shifts are perfect but if i ground the pedal, it goes fine from 1st to 2nd with rpm reaching as top as 6.5! but for 2nd to 3rd the rpm gets stuck on 6.5 and doesnt change gear until i release the pedal a bit! then it changes but that too with a jerk....i dont know why is this happening...is it something to do with da current flow or the injectors?

Secondly, as i was puzzled with this a new problem has come up, it takes too long for the car to start up...especially when it is cold. And in mornings after a long start it back-fires or misfires.

i live in a very hot country and the temperature is as high as 40-45 C. My mileage on a full tank is just 330 kms. Is it because of the heat? are all these problems inter-related? pls help me out on thiz one.

I luv my car and want it to last long :( :( :(

Espen
07-31-2006, 07:03 AM
your gas mileage and start problems are related i think, it could be either fuel system, or ignition. I would do a service on the ignition system if I were you, replace plugs, plug leads, coils and so. I do that the first thing when i buy a new car. You should also replace the fuel filter, oil filter and engine oil.

ahsanz
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
hey thnx for the reply....and as for the fuel system i've used a complete fuel system cleaner after using the car for 2 weeks and changed the plugs too....the engine oil is new and the oil filter but i have'nt checked the air filter...i'l do tht tomorrow when i return from work...thnx pal....ny other replies n help would b greatly appreciated friends.

your gas mileage and start problems are related i think, it could be either fuel system, or ignition. I would do a service on the ignition system if I were you, replace plugs, plug leads, coils and so. I do that the first thing when i buy a new car. You should also replace the fuel filter, oil filter and engine oil.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
this ebonics thing sux, did you try a stomp test? (use the search on top of the main forum)

Ausmpower
08-01-2006, 05:26 AM
I'd hazard a guess at sticking injectors. A stuck injector would give you all of your symptoms. Run a high quality injector cleaner (Redline SI-1) through a coulpe of tanks of premium fual and see if it clears up.

Paul in NZ
08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
if your car runs an O2 sensor it may be dead too.High temps shouldnt affect the consumption(a/C will have an effect of course) 330 ks on a tank ?is that stop and start or mostly highway running?

mamilapon
08-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Taking it to 6.5 regularly....that could explain the high consumption!!

ahsanz
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
well thats a start and stop.....and as adviced i'l try 2 test the car with fuel cleaner again before i stop at the workshop b/c sometimez the pickup of the car sucks too....n thnx every1 for helpin me out..u ppl rule :)

if your car runs an O2 sensor it may be dead too.High temps shouldnt affect the consumption(a/C will have an effect of course) 330 ks on a tank ?is that stop and start or mostly highway running?

ahsanz
08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
hi there...i dont take it to 6.5 obviously! but i said if i take it then the 2nd to 3rd gear shift gives a problem which is mentioned before. Driving it at lower rpms in city gives me 330 kms :(

Taking it to 6.5 regularly....that could explain the high consumption!!

HDhandyman
08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
ahsanz, would you mind completing your profile so that everybody can see what kind of car that you have? You'll get more responses this way. This is an international forum. People want to know location, model, and year, as these things can vary greatly depending upon "said" variables.---Some of the experts won't even respond to you until you complete your profile.

Thanks,

ahsanz
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
r u happy now "HDhandyman" :) ? n i hope u mite help me out if u knw

ahsanz, would you mind completing your profile so that everybody can see what kind of car that you have? You'll get more responses this way. This is an international forum. People want to know location, model, and year, as these things can vary greatly depending upon "said" variables.---Some of the experts won't even respond to you until you complete your profile.

Thanks,