PDA

View Full Version : Factory Crossover tuning

SnakeyesTx
07-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I got my new headunit and amp and subs installed about a week or so ago. This is the 3rd car this stereo is been in and most of the time I can use the same EQ settings for every car with fairly similar sound results. This time however, I can't. There's a LOT of high frequency tweeter in this car. I was wondering first, where the Crossover for the back speakers are, and if it is tunable (to relieve some of the high-freq). I was going to use my 5-way 6 1/2" premiers, but the crossover would just cut half of the tweeters out anyway so I opted to leave them out. May sell/trade them off to get a set of component replacements instead.

pundit
07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
I got my new headunit and amp and subs installed about a week or so ago. This is the 3rd car this stereo is been in and most of the time I can use the same EQ settings for every car with fairly similar sound results. This time however, I can't. There's a LOT of high frequency tweeter in this car. I was wondering first, where the Crossover for the back speakers are, and if it is tunable (to relieve some of the high-freq). I was going to use my 5-way 6 1/2" premiers, but the crossover would just cut half of the tweeters out anyway so I opted to leave them out. May sell/trade them off to get a set of component replacements instead.
Did your E34 originally come with factory premium sound?
If so there is a full factory crossover in the trunk... and no you just can't wire an aftermarket system in without some mods.
Speaking of which, how did you wire (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Stereo_wiring.htm) your system?

Here's a relevant thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19977)

SnakeyesTx
07-31-2006, 12:59 AM
I used an adapter for the headunit, and thanks to somebody here, I was able to use the factory amplifier with my aftermarket headunit. The subs in the trunk are driven with a 600 watt amplifier of their own which was cake to wire since the battery was under the back seat (very little wiring to have to route).

My car originally came with the factory 12 disc changer, and as far as I know they all have a crossover somewhere since they use component speakers in a 10 speaker system (6 in the front 4 in the rear). I'm guessing the crossover I'm looking for is under the decklid where the rear speakers are mounted since I didn't see one on the underside where the changer was mounted.

genphreak
07-31-2006, 01:21 AM
I got my new headunit and amp and subs installed about a week or so ago. This is the 3rd car this stereo is been in and most of the time I can use the same EQ settings for every car with fairly similar sound results. This time however, I can't. There's a LOT of high frequency tweeter in this car. I was wondering first, where the Crossover for the back speakers are, and if it is tunable (to relieve some of the high-freq). I was going to use my 5-way 6 1/2" premiers, but the crossover would just cut half of the tweeters out anyway so I opted to leave them out. May sell/trade them off to get a set of component replacements instead.You just need a decent amp running the speaker stock system. The standard amp is a booster, which destroys the quality of sound the system can actually produce stock. The booster amp is a hybrid (mounted in the trunk) so you can remove it and extract the booster module in one go by taking it to pieces.

The right thing to do is put in a nice big 4 or 5 way amp, fed directly by the preamp outputs from your headunit. Then you feed the amps speaker outputs into the stock crossover PCB inside the (now almost empty) amp box (ie one careful soldering job and its done). With this setup you can add all the power you want, do minimal rewiring, cutting and leave all your panels alone and get distortion down by a good 50%. To boot you get to keep the original interior eq settings the car was designed with :)

Mine works flat- except I added a sub. Stock 10 speaker system is nothing short of excellent. However without the sub it is acceptable (but very clean, clear and loud) for a stock system. Search the forum for pics- its all here if you look.

:) Nick