PDA

View Full Version : What's my 540i worth?

saluki540i
07-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of what my 95 540 6spd. is worth if "gasp!" I end up selling it. 76,221 miles, service history since new, cd changer, weather tech cargo mat, brand new koni sports, all moving suspension parts up front were replaced, crossmembers powdercoated, motor mounts replaced, brand new clutch, and flywheel, tranny serviced, valve cover gaskets, coolant & usual pwr steering leaks fixed, brand new B&B exhaust, and heatshields, new underpans, new hardware & body beam bolts, you guys get the picture.

ThoreauHD
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
About 7500-8500, and why do you want to sell this?

632 Regal
07-30-2006, 02:26 PM
it is possible to pull 10k for a very nice car to the right person.

Jehu
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
I paid $9,200 for mine with nearly 130k on it then had to do about $1,500.00 in parts and labor and i am still massively thrilled at what i have even with the few minor issues which remain like slight drivers seat rock in certain positions and sporadic high speed braking shudder.With all you've listed and with no rust and excellent interior condition $10,000.00 would be a bargain if I were shopping for it.Unfortunately many may be dissuaded by high gas prices from buying the V8 though it didn't deter me in the least and i am not wealthy .

Tiger
07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
It is not the gas price... people are stinky these days... they want best car for next to nothing.

Jon K
07-30-2006, 03:12 PM
I think you mean stingy lol - though most are stinky too

SharkmanBMW
07-30-2006, 03:14 PM
This car clearly sounds like a keeper... it sounds as new as an old car can be... why sell it at all?
It should be trouble free for a long while.

Jehu
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
This car clearly sounds like a keeper... it sounds as new as an old car can be... why sell it at all?
It should be trouble free for a long while.

+1. I can't personally think of any car,which i could afford to buy, that i would rather have than the 540 6sp.It covers all the bases in a car. I'd have to look at a Porche or Something Italian up in six figures before I'd find anything I'd rather have. Where are you going to go ? Japanese? American? have you driven a Ford lately? before i bought my BMW i had to rent cars often. Always a Japanese or an American car. They are hideous, the steering, handling, etc are plain lame compared to what you have.God bless you if you're buying an Enzo, post pics!

Evan
07-30-2006, 04:39 PM
it's worth more than you can get for it... esp if the carfax is clean and you have receipts... I'm interested in buying it if you decide to sell so keep in touch

brosher
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
If you are willing to wait for the right buyer I don't think 10,000 or more is out of the question. Below 100k miles and really good condition will add a ton of value. I don't think gas prices affect the value of these cars. The buyer of these cars is not looking for economy. If you put it in the local paper you wont get top dollar. Autotrader and ebay is the way to go for hard to find cars.

dbals
07-30-2006, 10:44 PM
got any pics? sounds like mechanically its very sound. I would agree with the other guys in that 10K is not out of line at all....depending what the body and paint was like. I personally think the 540i 6 speed is the ultimate e34 for the money. You could take a car like yours, slap a supercharger on it and it would smoke an m5 for less money. But have to respect the purist and the M5. Just saying for the money its the way to go.

dbals
07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
by the way....saluki540i, you wouldnt happen to be from southern Ill would you? as in SIU salukis?

HDhandyman
07-30-2006, 10:53 PM
I think you guys are beefing him up with a figure like 10,000. I'd be curious to hear what Bret, Whit, or Scott had to say about it.

Just sitting here thinking about the fact that you can still find a nice E28 M5 in excellent condition for 10-11,000, and that's not even the same ball park.

I could be wrong, though.

saluki540i
07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Yep I'm a Saluki here at SIU - Work in the Aviation Technologies Dept.

dbals
07-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Yep I'm a Saluki here at SIU - Work in the Aviation Technologies Dept.

Well, how about that. I live in Cape, Im over in Carbondale from time to time

saluki540i
07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Mechanically, the car is now very good. It needed to have a lot of details taken care of, none of which my dad, the previous owner was willing to pay for because the car was originally going to be traded in, and after getting the usual lowballs he told me I could buy it for the number they offered. I should clarify, I lusted after this car much like I lusted after our red 535i and did not care what needed to be done. I had the time to fix everything, just as long as the parts didn't kill me. It's been great - the whole front half of the car is basically brand new, and the only serious rust I found was in the bolts of the main crossmember up front and the driver side fender, which will eventually need replacement. It looks like the lower wing of it behind the cladding on the side has rotted out from the crap chicago winters. If I keep the car, which BTW will depend on my moving situation, I plan to completely refurbish the rear half susp. over the winter. It'll never see snow again while I own it.

Jehu
07-31-2006, 03:29 PM
I think you guys are beefing him up with a figure like 10,000. I'd be curious to hear what Bret, Whit, or Scott had to say about it.

Just sitting here thinking about the fact that you can still find a nice E28 M5 in excellent condition for 10-11,000, and that's not even the same ball park.

I could be wrong, though.

You can buy a new Alusil M60 for less than half of the s38 or whatever it is right ? I almost bought an e28 M5 asking $11,900 a year ago but i got beaten to it.As great as that car is, now that i have an e34 i don't really think i'd be happier with that.The blue book price for the e34 540i 6sp from a dealership in excellent conditon in my area was right around $9,000.00.I very much wanted the car so i paid their asking price of $9,200.00 and still needed to put in about $1,500.00 more and it still needs i think upper control arms or at least bushings.I did alot of studying and discussing the E28 M5 for a few years while i shopped for one .I have a picture of one on my wall and one even drove by the dealership lot while i was getting in to the 540 for a test drive which was really weird as rare as they are.With his low milage and all the work done , as long as he can document and substantiate it i don't see $10K as high at all.In light of my transaction i'd have to call it a deal if not a bargain.

Tiger
07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Lol

kurt-o
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of what my 95 540 6spd. is worth if "gasp!" I end up selling it. 76,221 miles, service history since new, cd changer, weather tech cargo mat, brand new koni sports, all moving suspension parts up front were replaced, crossmembers powdercoated, motor mounts replaced, brand new clutch, and flywheel, tranny serviced, valve cover gaskets, coolant & usual pwr steering leaks fixed, brand new B&B exhaust, and heatshields, new underpans, new hardware & body beam bolts, you guys get the picture.

Who did all the work? And are you serious about selling?

brosher
07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Here are 2 540i/6's that just sold on ebay:

supercharged one for 9000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-BMW-5-Series-540i-6spd-Dinan-Supercharger-Exhaust_W0QQitemZ290011574141QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60 08QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

really nice one w/ 85k sold for $9600
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Beauty-540i-with-Six-Speed-Only-85K-Miles_W0QQitemZ120007203810QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6008 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ThoreauHD
07-31-2006, 08:59 PM
That second one is beautiful. Although for city driving a stickshift sucks. And I now live in the city.

Jehu
07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
That second one is beautiful. Although for city driving a stickshift sucks. And I now live in the city.

I had driven an automatic all my life and imagined the manual would be a horror show in stop and go traffic. It is, but its becoming less so as ilearn the shofting moves and they become instinctual.The fun of being able to blast off from a stop say getting onto a highway isn't diminished by the irritation of dealing with stop and go traffic.

HDhandyman
07-31-2006, 09:35 PM
European traffic is all "stop and go". These cars were born of that enviroment. Automatic is a concept that "Americans" can't live without, not the rest of the world.--Get serious---learn to drive a stick in "stop and go", that's the best sort of enviroment to enjoy these cars.

Try driving a Lancia Zagato through the streets of Naples sometime. You definately want a stick!

P.S.---Jehu, while I respect your opinion about the e28 M5 vs. 540 6 (and I do, too), I don't think that personal experience reflects market value.--Just my humble.

632 Regal
07-31-2006, 09:36 PM
the auto allows more headroom :D that would seriously be diminished, besides the s_ut would be in there when I park it and play with the shifter knob

I had driven an automatic all my life and imagined the manual would be a horror show in stop and go traffic. It is, but its becoming less so as ilearn the shofting moves and they become instinctual.The fun of being able to blast off from a stop say getting onto a highway isn't diminished by the irritation of dealing with stop and go traffic.

ThoreauHD
07-31-2006, 09:42 PM
I drove a stick all my life. The current car is my first automatic. And honestly, the traffic on the DC beltway(495) is an hour of stop and go one way.

I do miss the stick for blasting off at high rpm's, but for my poor little 3 liter, I don't know if I would notice. The force isn't as strong as with you 4 liter jedi's. If/when I get a 4 or 5 liter(550 series), it'll be a stick no matter the traffic patterns. But as for now, I get to drive like grandma.

Jehu
07-31-2006, 09:51 PM
European traffic is all "stop and go". These cars were born of that environment. Automatic is a concept that "Americans" can't live without, not the rest of the world.--Get serious---learn to drive a stick in "stop and go", that's the best sort of environment to enjoy these cars.

Try driving a Lancia Zagato through the streets of Naples sometime. You definitely want a stick!

P.S.---Jehu, while I respect your opinion about the e28 M5 vs. 540 6 (and I do, too), I don't think that personal experience reflects market value.--Just my humble.

Those two cars were not vastly different from mine, in fact I would say at least my seats are in better shape than either and the prices were as far as I'm concerned in the same ballpark.I very much wanted this car so i didn't bother haggling though i did take it for a repurchase inspection to an Indy BMW shop and got the seller to fix a few things.If i were looking to sell mine at this moment i wouldn't take a penny less than $10K. Obviously its in my interest to see the prices remain as high as they can be to retain value. three little letters tagged onto the end of his classified ad if he decides to sell would make all the difference. He could ask $10. OBO. but he shouldn't think, in my opinion, that he needs to settle for very much less.If you like these cars i don't see what your options are, i don't really like the new series as much and unless you find an exceptionally well maintained e 28 your fairly limited to start with. There were only a small number of these 6 speeds made anyway right?limited supply always nudges the price higher and he has described the condition at least at the outset as excellent.Of course if he ends up desperate to dump it he won't care if he takes $8K but i wouldn't under any circumstances take less than that. I'd boil and eat the leather if i was hungry before I'd sell it too low.http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/5293/021202zoom1988bmwm5frontsideviewvu3.jpg

HDhandyman
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't think that if you find an E28 M5 you have to worry too much about how well the car has been taken care of. Those cars are collectors items now, with a fairly low price tag, and most people driving them know exactly what they have (like my neighbor and good friend). When I say "ball park" I don't mean price tag, I mean experience. In my mind, there is no way you can equate a 540 6 with an E28 M5, regardless of the condition of the seats. And, I think that most people paying 10,000 for a 540 6 are saps---Sorry, that's just the way that I feel about it.

angrypancake
07-31-2006, 10:46 PM
there is an e34 m5 on ebay right now that looks to be in pretty good shape for 9k.

hmmm that supercharged 540 looked pretty badass, someone got a steal.

to the OP: if the car only has 76k miles and is in the condition as described, there shouldn't be a problem asking 10k.

Jehu
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't think that if you find an E28 M5 you have to worry too much about how well the car has been taken care of. Those cars are collectors items now, with a fairly low price tag, and most people driving them know exactly what they have (like my neighbor and good friend). When I say "ball park" I don't mean price tag, I mean experience. In my mind, there is no way you can equate a 540 6 with an E28 M5, regardless of the condition of the seats. And, I think that most people paying 10,000 for a 540 6 are saps---Sorry, that's just the way that I feel about it.

I'm not sure you mean to say what you did. I found another M5 a guy in my area was selling for $7,500.00 saying he was only asking that much because the odo had been replaced and he couldn't verify the original miles. I passed but was poised to buy it. He kept it and kept driving it and blew the motor. Now its sitting somewhere waiting for someone who wants to sink 10 grand into an engine job. You do have to consider this if you're thinking of one of these unless you've got money to burn in which case there's really nothing to discuss.I looked at quite a few M5's none of them but the one i was beat to which was also near me which had 103K asking $11,900.00 presented in good enough shape that they wouldn't need thousands in work to be where i wanted whatever i bought to be.That car was a rarity among rarities and a guy in Atlanta,Ga beat me to it though it was only 20 minutes up the highway from me.The last one i seriously considered was on the west coast, across the country asking $13,500 so add to that at least 2K to either ship it or fly out and drive it back. The 540 showed up three towns away. I could have it inspected and look it over myself. A 525 may look like the 540 from the outside but that's where it ends, the M60 is a beast.

HDhandyman
07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
A 525 may look like the 540 from the outside but that's where it ends, the M60 is a beast.

What is that, a cheap shot?:( ---I'm talking about my personal opinion.

So, at that time (when you were looking) you were unable to find a good one for less than eleven three------So, what? That means less than nothing.

I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who'd pay 10,000 for your car, and more power to ya, it just won't be me. That doesn't have anything to do with what I drive, it's just the way that I feel. While we're at it, I think that I originally said that I thought ten was "beefing him up", meaning a little too high. 9000 and 10,000 are not the same thing unless you are either A. Bill Gates or B. Stupid.

Not trying to argue, but really, can we get back on topic?

Evan
07-31-2006, 11:32 PM
stop and go traffic sucks in any country... in any car... and no matter who is in the car with you and what they're doing... can't wait to see your replies ;)

Jehu
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
What is that, a cheap shot?:( ---I'm talking about my personal opinion.

So, at that time (when you were looking) you were unable to find a good one for less than eleven three------So, what? That means less than nothing.

I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who'd pay 10,000 for your car, and more power to ya, it just won't be me. That doesn't have anything to do with what I drive, it's just the way that I feel. While we're at it, I think that I originally said that I thought ten was "beefing him up", meaning a little too high. 9000 and 10,000 are not the same thing unless you are either A. Bill Gates or B. Stupid.

Not trying to argue, but really, can we get back on topic?

No , it was a Ten Thousand Dollar shot,:p
My car was originally stickered at $8,900. After the PPI,They did some work and asked $9,200.00 and it was still worth it to me. His car has substantially fewer miles and has had more extensive recent work done. If it has the Alusil block swap then he shouldn't think asking 10 k is too much . He could employ human psychology and ask $9,899.00 and make a quick easy sale and be happy but i wouldn't be afraid of starting at 10. If you have never owned one of these you're really not qualified to comment... oh I also hate stop and go driving are you a masochist ?

HDhandyman
08-01-2006, 12:14 AM
No , it was a Ten Thousand Dollar shot,:p
My car was originally stickered at $8,900. After the PPI,They did some work and asked $9,200.00 and it was still worth it to me. His car has substantially fewer miles and has had more extensive recent work done. If it has the Alusil block swap then he shouldn't think asking 10 k is too much . He could employ human psychology and ask $9,899.00 and make a quick easy sale and be happy but i wouldn't be afraid of starting at 10. If you have never owned one of these you're really not qualified to comment... oh I also hate stop and go driving are you a masochist ?

You're right, I must be a f**king idiot! I mean you said that your car was originally stickered @ 8900 which is a contradiction in terms of this whole debate, but I must be an idiot. And, my personal opinion was that 10,000 was a "beef up" figure in terms of worth, but you seem to have the keane eye on sales for a figure that requires the implenetation of "psychology", but I must be the idiot. And, since you don't know me, and I drive a 525i, I must have absolutely no experience with a 540 6 or an E28 M5 even though a good friend and neighbor owns both that he paid 7,500 and 10,500 for, respectively, but I must be an idiot. And, stop and go traffic sucks with a stick, in your opinion, even though I already decided that this was my opinion, and spent several months driving through stop and go traffic all over Italy (a part of Europe where people almost universally reject autos and suffer through what Americans would consider hideous "stop and go" traffic just to "feel the road" and maintain awareness), but I must be a ****ing idiot!

But don't let me stop your retort. Please, by all means, feel free to start a pissing match about something that was my "unqualified" opinion in the first place.

632 Regal
08-01-2006, 12:27 AM
weather hot down there by you too?

You're right, I must be a f**king idiot! I mean you said that your car was originally stickered @ 8900 which is a contradiction in terms of this whole debate, but I must be an idiot. And, my personal opinion was that 10,000 was a "beef up" figure in terms of worth, but you seem to have the keane eye on sales for a figure that requires the implenetation of "psychology", but I must be the idiot. And, since you don't know me, and I drive a 525i, I must have absolutely no experience with a 540 6 or an E28 M5 even though a good friend and neighbor owns both that he paid 7,500 and 10,500 for, respectively, but I must be an idiot. And, stop and go traffic sucks with a stick, in your opinion, even though I already decided that this was my opinion, and spent several months driving through stop and go traffic all over Italy (a part of Europe where people almost universally reject autos and suffer through what Americans would consider hideous "stop and go" traffic just to "feel the road" and maintain awareness), but I must be a ****ing idiot!

But don't let me stop your retort. Please, by all means, feel free to start a pissing match about something that was my "unqualified" opinion in the first place.

Jehu
08-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Basing your estimation of the OP's car's value on your neighbor's experience is not a very scientific approach to arriving at the real worth of the car, is it ?Just because your friend got a good deal doesn't mean the seller couldn't have made more or shouldn't have been able to make more or that this seller likewise should be so constrained.If you could sample a larger number of examples i would bet you'd find more have sold for more than your friend paid ultimately when you figure like me many may sell needing a few things so when you consider that the real cost will more often than not end up closer to 10 K than 7K.The OP asked what his car was worth and i feel you are doing him as well as all owners of the e34 560 6 sp a disservice which i would counter with more informed reasoning.
Offering your opinion is one thing, if that was all you really wanted to do you ought to have left it at that, what you've subsequently done is to seek to give your "unqualified opinion" more weight than an unqualified opinion by beating the poor dead horse into a bloody pulp while I'm trying to encourage the OP that he can make more money than you suggest he can.I mean what is your reason for discouraging him? You worried he'll be disappointed?Really you ought to expect some heat from people your position if followed would cost money.No reason to fly off the handle, son.
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/6879/bhotgreentd2.gif

HDhandyman
08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Basing your estimation of the OP's car's value on your neighbor's experience is not a very scientific approach to arriving at the real worth of the car, is it ?Just because your friend got a good deal doesn't mean the seller couldn't have made more or shouldn't have been able to make more or that this seller likewise should be so constrained.If you could sample a larger number of examples i would bet you'd find more have sold for more than your friend paid ultimately when you figure like me many may sell needing a few things so when you consider that the real cost will more often than not end up closer to 10 K than 7K.The OP asked what his car was worth and i feel you are doing him as well as all owners of the e34 560 6 sp a disservice which i would counter with more informed reasoning.
Offering your opinion is one thing, if that was all you really wanted to do you ought to have left it at that, what you've subsequently done is to seek to give your "unqualified opinion" more weight than an unqualified opinion by beating the poor dead horse into a bloody pulp while I'm trying to encourage the OP that he can make more money than you suggest he can.I mean what is your reason for discouraging him? You worried he'll be disappointed?Really you ought to expect some heat from people your position if followed would cost money.No reason to fly off the handle, son.
http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/6879/bhotgreentd2.gif

What I'm doing is following the line of conversation. Still, my ultimate goal is to convey the fact that I think a lot of people pay to much for and sell these cars at a price that is too high.---You can do whatever you want with that, but I don't think I'm doing a disservice to anyone looking to obtain one of these fine autos. I think you're just beating the horse to justify the feelings that you have about either A. what you paid for your car, or B. what you'd like to sell your car for.
:p

And, it's all good. We're cool. Trust me, this isn't flying off the handle, you can ask around about that!

Jehu
08-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Was your neighbors '95 e34 540 6 sp under say 90,000 miles in prefect condition in every respect. Immaculate inside and out needing no additional investment in parts or labor, bought that way for $7,500.00?If so he got the deal of a lifetime and the seller either A. didn't need the money from the sale or B. Needed anything he could get desperately and took a low ball offer.I shopped around much more and for way longer for the e28 M5 i never bought than i did for this and I admit the recent examples posted are on the low side and figuring the additional expenses for mine i did pay on the high side. I still think the OP would be best advised not to offer it too low unless he just needs the money or just doesn't.I am a born arguer and as long as we can focus on the goal, in this case to arrive at a value for the Car i think only good can come of hashing over ideas but honestly how many times have you been able to drive the neighbors car at any great length in the manner you really want to , not in stop and go traffic...? ever? many times? There is a certain element which may not have a cash resale value you can list on the bill, the ineffable pleasure and satisfaction of owning and having the car to drive yourself whenever you please however you like.That aspect made this car worth what i paid for it to me.I may have statistically paid on the high side slightly but that doesn't leave me feeling regretful or feeling a need to spread baseless information.Really do you think I'm crying because i may have been able to hammer out a deal for a few hundred dollars less.I wanted the car and I'd seen too many get bought out from under me while i waited to decide what they were really worth.The first BMW i ever drove was a 1991 525 5 sp. I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever encountered. I was doing a 100 mph before i even realized it. It was so powerfull,fast,smooth and quiet , i knew i had to have one.Multiply that by 10 and you have the 540 6 sp at least mine with the M tech lowered stiffer suspension package option, wider tires, pre-installed 6 CD changer,excellent condition leather seats, etc,etc,etc...

ThoreauHD
08-01-2006, 01:54 AM
stop and go traffic sucks in any country... in any car... and no matter who is in the car with you and what they're doing... can't wait to see your replies ;)

Evan has found me out. The kleenex is under the passenger seat. And I spray scotch-guard on the leather weekly. Now if I could just find a girl without braces.. ewwww...

Paul in NZ
08-01-2006, 01:57 AM
It doesnt matter it is all completely hypothetical.Both of you are wasting your time breath and bandwidth.The car is worth what someone will pay for it at the time.And that is the end of it.I have freinds trying to sell therir euro 535 is and havent even had a response.Before you wax so lyrical about 540 six speeds you should drive a nice 535.They feel much much more nimble and responsive than 540's.The 540 is all about the engine.period

ThoreauHD
08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/3stooges.jpg

Break it up you two. Jeff aka Moe is gonna get violent.

Jehu
08-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Could you even get the M60 up to speed in NZ before you drove off into the Ocean?

Paul in NZ
08-01-2006, 03:01 AM
There are some roads that you could but you could probably break the speed limit in second :D.Dont get me wrong if i find the right one i will pay over the odds to get one,but it will have to be as close to perfect as a 12 year old car can be.There are only 250 RHD 540 six speeds in the world,in 1994 only SIX were sold in the whole of NZ.Strangel there have been three for sale recently but all have been in worse overall condition than my 535

ILoveMPower
08-01-2006, 08:58 AM
The fun of being able to blast off from a stop say getting onto a highway isn't diminished by the irritation of dealing with stop and go traffic.

Very well said, indeed!

Qube
08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Keep it :) The only other car I'd like to drive is an Aston Martin... even 'just' a DB7

saluki540i
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I know all you guys in the Chi town are hating this weather - been warm here too - today with the heat index at the airport they were calling 104. As for the people inquiring about all the work on the car, I did it all my self as a labor of love. Everything was torqued to spec's, etc. I'm an airframe and Powerplant mechanic here, and wanted the car because I knew I could make it right with my free labor, and parts from the right sources. The prices are close to what I'd guesstimated, and to be perfectly honest What would I replace it with for less than 10K?

Paul in NZ
08-02-2006, 03:20 AM
What would I replace it with for less than 10K?

there is nothing that would come close...

dbals
08-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I know all you guys in the Chi town are hating this weather - been warm here too - today with the heat index at the airport they were calling 104. As for the people inquiring about all the work on the car, I did it all my self as a labor of love. Everything was torqued to spec's, etc. I'm an airframe and Powerplant mechanic here, and wanted the car because I knew I could make it right with my free labor, and parts from the right sources. The prices are close to what I'd guesstimated, and to be perfectly honest What would I replace it with for less than 10K?

Who do you like for to buy parts from? I am interested in what all you have done to your car. Can you tell us more?
how bout some pics?

saluki540i
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
New Koni's, refinished strut housings, replaced all hardware including collars, FCP groton 10 pc. susp. kit, most of the original nuts and bolts, clips, etc. replaced, all crossmembers & steering knuckles powdercoated semi-gloss black, motor mounts replaced, pwr. steering leaks fixed, leaky o-ring in heater core control valve fixed, new coolant lines off the spiders, new valve cover gaskets, refinished valve covers in black because the silver was shot, replaced clutch/flywheel w/ stock LUK, serviced tranny w/ fresh ATF, replaced bell housing & down pipe bolts, replaced over half of the heat shields & retainers, all the plastic underpans, all the plastic wheel well liners, Replaced all the accessory struts, (glove box, hood, & trunk), and the rubber grommet around the shifter, new B & B exhaust & hangers, Changed over to Mobil 1, replaced OBC bulbs, fixed both sport power seat movement functions, installed used bmw changer, bled clutch and brakes w/ ATE Super Blue, and last but certainly not least.......Reset the service & inspection lights------Taa Daa!

DABIMR
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Very nice... That's worth $10K to me and I paid about 2K less and have the front end to do (not bad, but eventually), Valve cover gaskets, maybe cats, Microfilters, etc., etc. So as has been said, it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it.

Personally, if you're serious I would advertise on the many BMW forums, because they alone will be appreciative of the value, work and condition of the car. Not some random person looking through Edmunds, KBB, etc, for what those sites deem the car is "worth". Not knocking those sites, but they are just for reference and not for actual values of cars such as ours. Don't believe me? Check the price on E30 M3's, E28 M5's, etc., and then what they are actually selling for.. BTW, not comparing the 540i/6 to those, just making a point if not obvious.. :)

Good Luck with the sale if you do sell it.

On another note, are you near Gerogia? I would love to have (you do) all that work done on mine!! :p

PS: They only made 3203 540i/6's of which only 1524 were US spec, so it's rare to me..:D

dbals
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
New Koni's, refinished strut housings, replaced all hardware including collars, FCP groton 10 pc. susp. kit, most of the original nuts and bolts, clips, etc. replaced, all crossmembers & steering knuckles powdercoated semi-gloss black, motor mounts replaced, pwr. steering leaks fixed, leaky o-ring in heater core control valve fixed, new coolant lines off the spiders, new valve cover gaskets, refinished valve covers in black because the silver was shot, replaced clutch/flywheel w/ stock LUK, serviced tranny w/ fresh ATF, replaced bell housing & down pipe bolts, replaced over half of the heat shields & retainers, all the plastic underpans, all the plastic wheel well liners, Replaced all the accessory struts, (glove box, hood, & trunk), and the rubber grommet around the shifter, new B & B exhaust & hangers, Changed over to Mobil 1, replaced OBC bulbs, fixed both sport power seat movement functions, installed used bmw changer, bled clutch and brakes w/ ATE Super Blue, and last but certainly not least.......Reset the service & inspection lights------Taa Daa!

WOW!! you might be my new best friend! I need to do a lot of those things.