PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear problem

caster
04-04-2004, 08:45 AM
My car is a 90 535 5 spd with 133k miles. Lately, when shifting into 3rd from second and sometimes during a downshift, it grinds. Now, this does not occur at lower RPM's, but above 4K, it happens about 75% of the time.. Clutch seems Ok, doesn't happen in the other gears. I'm running Redline in the gear box, diff and clutch. Could it be a syncho? Trannny problem? Is it time for a clutch and flywheel change?? :(

Warren N.CA
04-04-2004, 01:01 PM
that the clutch is OK. So, that leaves linkage problems and internal problems. Most E34s have worn out (to some extent) linkages at 133K. Requires removal of exhaust and DS to access, so its not that easy a job, so usually it doesn't get done unless there's a crisis. Sounds like you may be having one.

My car is a 90 535 5 spd with 133k miles. Lately, when shifting into 3rd from second and sometimes during a downshift, it grinds. Now, this does not occur at lower RPM's, but above 4K, it happens about 75% of the time.. Clutch seems Ok, doesn't happen in the other gears. I'm running Redline in the gear box, diff and clutch. Could it be a syncho? Trannny problem? Is it time for a clutch and flywheel change?? :(

Jeff N.
04-04-2004, 03:16 PM
A quick thing you can check is your engine and rear tranny mounts. I'd take a peek at them and see if there are problems. No need to remove exhaust or driveshaft to r&r.

Jeff

Marshy
04-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Have you tried double de-clutching on the downshift? If this cures it, I think that points to synchromesh issues. (Long time ago though...)

And if double de-clutching is double-speak, it's this: depress clutch, take car out of 3rd gear. As you move the lever across the gate, in neutral, fully raise, then depress the clutch. Now engage 2nd gear. With practice, this can be done very quickly...

nova5
05-03-2004, 02:24 AM
my 535i started doing the same in 4th gear. It would just pop out of gear under load. I could hold it in with my hard. But now it won't go in at all unless I double clutch.

What's involved in a synchro rebuild?