PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel question

bbig119
07-29-2006, 10:06 PM
I took the car for a nice drive on some windy roads this evening. As I pulled into the driveway at home I noticed that I had bits of leather from the steering wheel on my hands. Some of the outer coating is cracking and slowly rubbing off. Its only an annoyance right now, but still worth me asking about it.

Is there an easy/cheap way to clean up the wheel?

If I opted to replace it, what do I need to look for and be careful about? I know I'd need a newer '91 and up wheel(b/c of airbag). I'm under the impression that I could use my existing airbag which would lower the cost for the actual wheel if I find one where the bag did explode-- right?

I know I could get aftermarket wheels, or retrofit an E46 wheel, which all sound interesting but I like the feel of the OEM wheel and at this point don't feel the need to "upgrade".

BillionPa
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
i got a steering wheel cover for mine, the good kind where you spend 2 hours sewing it over the old one. turned out very nice.

bbig119
07-30-2006, 07:02 PM
do you have a name or link for what you used?

Tom Bombadil
07-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I did a wheelskins on my E30 and it turned out very well.

BillionPa
07-31-2006, 12:10 AM
thats the one! wheelskins, got it from BAV on clearance.

bbig119
07-31-2006, 05:53 AM
thanks guys, I'll check that out.

bbig119
07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Checked out wheelskins-- looks like what I need and seems like those on the forum who have used them, like them.

Its obvious that these can go over the existing wheel/leather, but what if I wanted to remove the original(cracked) leather on the wheel and install a wheelskin there?

BillionPa
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
the diameter of the wheelskin is to fit directly over the old wheel. its not very thick, but give yourself some patience before installing, and get some rubber tipped mechanics gloves to avoid marks on your hands from pulling the thread for 2 hours.

NY535iManual
08-03-2006, 02:00 PM
There's also another company that makes a product similar to wheelskins - The benefit is that they come in faux alcantara, which is pretty cool. Will try to find/post link, but whichever you use make sure you have a few hours & take your time.

angrypancake
08-03-2006, 02:44 PM
hell, i have an mtech II wheel that i want to get rid of! :)

takumidrift30
08-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Finding the link would be a big help, I have the same issue with my steering actually thought of changing the it but wheelskins is a good option at this point. thanks for the input guys!

bbig119
08-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Finding the link would be a big help, I have the same issue with my steering actually thought of changing the it but wheelskins is a good option at this point. thanks for the input guys!

Here is the link for wheelskins:

http://www.wheelskins.com/

I did a google search for faux alcantara steering wheel covers and didn't get anything meaningful, so if you could find the link I'd be interested. I'll probably wait to order anything until the cracking on the steering wheel bothers me again. Thanks for the input guys.

takumidrift30
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
thanks for the link..if by any chance I''ll get to fine something about faux alcantara steering wheel covers I'll let you now.

swenpro
08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
My steering wheel was looking pretty poor until I did the steering wheel maintenance per bmwe34.net (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/interior/Steering_wheel.htm)
Worked pretty well for me... no more peeling and it's shiny black again!

About those Wheelskin covers: How much thickness do they add, and do they look like they "belong" or does it give a cheap look?

BillionPa
08-04-2006, 02:42 AM
i will get a pic tomorrow, it doesnt add much and it looks VERY nice.

nelhoz
08-08-2006, 12:55 PM
[Here is what I did with mine, on a warm day sand steering wheel with Fine sand paper, when smooth apply leather cleaner rub/clean and let dry, then apply 3 or 4 coats of Kiwi leather boot and shoe sole dressing (allow at least 1/2 hour drying time between coats, after the last coat apply 2 coats of leather conditioner, buff until dry, the result is a stunning "brand new looking" steering wheel for less than $7.00us.