PDA

View Full Version : Which wheels to use.....

gtopaul
07-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm currently using AZEV cast aluminum 18" wheels on my Touring but bought a new set of 18" MK-Motorsport forged aluminum wheels on a whim. Now I can't decide which set to use. Sort of leaning towards keeping the AZEV's and ebaying the others. I've got five of the MK-Motorsports. They're made by BBS and come with BBS lug nuts. Keep the AZEV's or go for the MK's?

Paul

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/50015.jpg
http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/mkwheels2.jpg

Qube
07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
If it were me, I'd pick the MKs. The others look too chunky and out of place...

Alexlind123
07-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree, go with the MKs.

SharkmanBMW
07-29-2006, 03:52 PM
ditto

jbraswell
07-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I think you should run some staggered throwing stars with toyo proxes 4's with a lot of tread left and I'll run the MK's:D

GoldenOne
07-29-2006, 05:37 PM
mk's FTW

Alexlind123
07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
plasticky throwing stars FTL

MTV
07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Go with the MK's.

angrypancake
07-29-2006, 07:48 PM
throwing stars! **** yeah. if you're rocking out with MK's you gotta go with the MK 1 18x10" in the rear with the deep lip. Mmmmmmmmmm.

gtopaul
07-29-2006, 08:30 PM
but I've got staggered 17" Borbet C's on my 94 540 with the 10" rims on the back and the clearance is pretty close to the rear swing arms, like maybe 1/8" of an inch.

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/540007.jpg

Seems pretty clear that everyone likes the MK's so I'll be getting them installed soon and will post an "after" pic when done.

Thanks guys!

Paul

angrypancake
07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
whoa those are sweet! nice rides.

Brandon J
07-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Why hasn't anyone talked about performance, drivability, and practicality? How much do the rims weigh, how strong are they, what suspension do you have, what rubber are you planning on installing, etc.

Last time I heard it was ultimate driving machine not just looking machine.

What brakes do you have as the extra weight affects braking, accerelation, gas mileage, bushing wear, etc. Are the fenders rolled?

If you already have the Mks, those are my choice because of its history of build quality. It also seems you don't like to see the lugs as both wheel designs have covers. I personally don't like the lock on the covers as removal of the cover can get tricky if the lock is jammed, dirty, or the key is missing.

You might also want to look into euro bumper trim and front euro original corner lights (the replica ones look pinkish when on if using amber bulbs). These changes help the rims pop with the car.

gtopaul
07-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Why hasn't anyone talked about performance, drivability, and practicality? How much do the rims weigh, how strong are they, what suspension do you have, what rubber are you planning on installing, etc.

Last time I heard it was ultimate driving machine not just looking machine.

What brakes do you have as the extra weight affects braking, accerelation, gas mileage, bushing wear, etc. Are the fenders rolled?

If you already have the Mks, those are my choice because of its history of build quality. It also seems you don't like to see the lugs as both wheel designs have covers. I personally don't like the lock on the covers as removal of the cover can get tricky if the lock is jammed, dirty, or the key is missing.

Well it's pretty obvious the MK's are way lighter and stronger since they're forged vs cast. I imported H&R Touring springs from Germany and still have the self leveling system. Tires are the Conti all season ExtremeContact which suffice for my needs. I'm going to upgrade the brakes to Brembo's to augment the transplanted S52 engine and I've got M5 Touring sway bars ready to install.

Getting wheels with a lug cover wasn't a conscious decision but just worked out that way. If you've ever had to chisel locking lug nuts off a car for a customer the covers are way easier, in my opinion, to get off. The only other wheels I really considered were the stock BMW 18" 740i Sport wheels but the MK's came up first.

Don't like the look of the clear corner lights up front especially without changing the back lights to clear. Finding the backs for a Touring is tough. I like the traditional look a little more. My 540 came with clear corners and they were the first thing I got rid of. Personal taste I guess.

With the M3 engine it really is a little more "ultimate" a driving machine than stock. :D

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/525m3001.jpg

Brandon J
07-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Well I guess you answered your own question about which wheel to use, lol. Looks like you are sold on the Mks. Locking lugs do suck and the extractors are nice to use. However, since it is your car, the locking lugs wouldn't be fused on there anyways right?;)

You are going to upgrade the front brakes to Brembos? Have you looked into the M5 Nurburgring package as it is a balanced sysem front and rear. IMHO a better option b/c of the brake balance.

Nice to see another engine swap/hybrid e34 out there.

Well it's pretty obvious the MK's are way lighter and stronger since they're forged vs cast. I imported H&R Touring springs from Germany and still have the self leveling system. Tires are the Conti all season ExtremeContact which suffice for my needs. I'm going to upgrade the brakes to Brembo's to augment the transplanted S52 engine and I've got M5 Touring sway bars ready to install.

Getting wheels with a lug cover wasn't a conscious decision but just worked out that way. If you've ever had to chisel locking lug nuts off a car for a customer the covers are way easier, in my opinion, to get off. The only other wheels I really considered were the stock BMW 18" 740i Sport wheels but the MK's came up first.

Don't like the look of the clear corner lights up front especially without changing the back lights to clear. Finding the backs for a Touring is tough. I like the traditional look a little more. My 540 came with clear corners and they were the first thing I got rid of. Personal taste I guess.

With the M3 engine it really is a little more "ultimate" a driving machine than stock. :D

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/525m3001.jpg

gtopaul
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
maybe they'll grow on me a bit.

Paul

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/525014.jpg